Trivia: Bypassed roads that now carry more traffic than they did before the bypass

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

baroudeur

Re: Trivia: Bypassed roads that now carry more traffic than they did before the bypass

Post by baroudeur »

jervi wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 16:37 I'm 100% confident that for the last 2 and a half years that Wilstead (just south of Bedford) has carried more traffic on the old A6 route than the current one.
Or 8 months? The Wilstead bypass roadworks started on 22nd July 2019 and finished 9th March.

Be interesting to see if the average speed cameras will be removed from the village.
jervi

Re: Trivia: Bypassed roads that now carry more traffic than they did before the bypass

Post by jervi »

baroudeur wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 15:41
jervi wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 16:37 I'm 100% confident that for the last 2 and a half years that Wilstead (just south of Bedford) has carried more traffic on the old A6 route than the current one.
Or 8 months? The Wilstead bypass roadworks started on 22nd July 2019 and finished 9th March.

Be interesting to see if the average speed cameras will be removed from the village.
When I was in that area in the early half of 2018, it was closed, so I guessed that it was related to the same issue as current.
jabbaboy

Post by jabbaboy »

Imagine the length of the A167 and B1318 from the south of Darlington to Gosforth Park being busier than when the the A1 / A1(M) / A19 was built (maybe excluding Chester-le-street to the Angel).
Glenn A

Post by Glenn A »

Kendal is horrendous to drive through, even with the M6 to the east and A591 to the west, as you still have to negotiate the town centre if you want to get to places like Sedbergh and Skipton from the west, and the town's huge popularity with tourists and constant expansion means traffic volumes are massive and the ring road can be a nightmare.