Rugby Road, Swinford

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Berk

Rugby Road, Swinford

Post by Berk »

This road was newly built as part of the Catthorpe Project to link Swinford with the A5.

It may not be the most exciting road ever built, but there are no pictures of it that I can find. And due to its rural location, Google hasn’t seen fit to drive that way either.

Does anyone have any pics they could share?? :)
darkcape

Re: Rugby Road, Swinford

Post by darkcape »

No photos I'm afraid but driven it plenty, it's a great little drive and formed the temporary M6SB offslip during the upgrade works, built to full DMRB 70mph standard hence it's decent quality.
Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
roadphotos

Post by roadphotos »

Although Google hasn't been up this road yet it can still be viewed on Google Street view from the A14 to M1 north slip road where it goes over Rugby Road.
Berk

Post by Berk »

darkcape wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 20:22 No photos I'm afraid but driven it plenty, it's a great little drive and formed the temporary M6SB offslip during the upgrade works, built to full DMRB 70mph standard hence it's decent quality.
Yes, I was wondering about this. From Google, I think the off slip is now buried under an earth bank. The new Rugby Road was built on the other side of it.
roadphotos wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 20:39 Although Google hasn't been up this road yet it can still be viewed on Google Street view from the A14 to M1 north slip road where it goes over Rugby Road.
Yep, just discovered this, it’s the best view we'll get till they cover it!!

Was also surprised to see the 60s M1 bridges (which you used to cross next to the roundabouts) survived the upgrade intact.
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

Berk wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 22:33
darkcape wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 20:22 No photos I'm afraid but driven it plenty, it's a great little drive and formed the temporary M6SB offslip during the upgrade works, built to full DMRB 70mph standard hence it's decent quality.
Yes, I was wondering about this. From Google, I think the off slip is now buried under an earth bank. The new Rugby Road was built on the other side of it.
roadphotos wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 20:39 Although Google hasn't been up this road yet it can still be viewed on Google Street view from the A14 to M1 north slip road where it goes over Rugby Road.
Yep, just discovered this, it’s the best view we'll get till they cover it!!

Was also surprised to see the 60s M1 bridges (which you used to cross next to the roundabouts) survived the upgrade intact.
Later in the year, it'll be light more when I'm driving around the countries.... so I'll be able to stop to get some photographs if I'm around that way..... Not that I usually do requests ;)
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
roadphotos

Post by roadphotos »

The new t junction where shawell Lane now meets Rugby Road can be viewed on Google Street View from the M6 east where Shawell Lane passes underneath.
ais523

Post by ais523 »

I took some photos of this road (or of views of other roads from this road) back in 2015 (partly for personal use, partly in case other people were interested). I've put a zip file containing the ones that are nonblurry enough to actually see the road online here (this will probably be a temporary location only). They're numbered in approximate progression from west to east, and were taken with a handheld camera, not a dashcam (I was a passenger and someone else was driving).

Ideally the photos would be uploaded to the wiki, but I was dreading doing that because of the need to location-tag/describe/etc. them, so I never got round to it. (If anyone else is interested in doing that, you have my permission to do so as long as you credit me as having taken them.)

Note: the last few photos depict a roundabout, and there isn't one on Rugby Road, so those must be photos of some other road that were taken as part of the same journey. As such, I can't be sure how many of the photos are actually of the correct road, but I think most of them will be.