Road Investment Strategy 2

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

jackal

Road Investment Strategy 2

Post by jackal »

The full list of schemes is finally published:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... 20-to-2025
Berk

Re: Road Investment Strategy 2

Post by Berk »

In view of recent remarks and court action, is this now a first draft?? Or will a revised version, or implementation plan be available shortly??
danfw194

Post by danfw194 »

Immediately I went hunting for the plans in the Midlands, and it's pretty thin gruel. Had to laugh at the A46 section, clearly written by someone who has either never driven it, or is looking through extremely rose-tinted glasses. It is not a high-quality road for long sections and nor will improving the Newark bypass make it run unimpeded from Lincoln to Warwick....fake news.

Also, where's the commitment to the A50 Uttoxeter grade separation? Committed in RIS1 but not even half the job done. All they have achieved in rebuilding the western junction which was already free-flowing. The two at-grade roundabouts remain and if this is anything to go by, will be remaining so for the foreseeable.
ChrisH
Elected Committee Member

Post by ChrisH »

At the back of the document the section on "strategic studies" indicates that only the A66 Trans-Pennines actually made it to a scheme. The following are "under review":

- M60 North-West Quadrant
- Manchester-Sheffield
- M25 SW Quadrant
- A1 East of England
- Oxford-Cambridge Expressway

However, it announces new strategic studies to look at:

- M4 to Poole via A350 corridor
- M65 to A1(M)
- Urban SRN
jackal

Post by jackal »

Berk wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 16:09 In view of recent remarks and court action, is this now a first draft?? Or will a revised version, or implementation plan be available shortly??
This is the final version. There's been a lot of nonsense in the press (RIS2 gutted, delayed until the summer or scrapped altogether), all now disproven.
thatapanydude

Post by thatapanydude »

Disappointed to see the A64 at York not make it, with it only being looked at as a RIS3 scheme? If this was a trunk road in Hertfordshire it would have been sorted a long time ago!
A1/A1(M) >>> M1
roadtester

Post by roadtester »

ChrisH wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 16:15 - M65 to A1(M)
That's an interesting one - although I bet nothing happens!
Electrophorus Electricus

Check out #davidsdailycar on Mastodon
jackal

Post by jackal »

People will understandably be disappointed that some of the more extravagant long term proposals such as the Manchester North West Quadrant and Oxbridge Expressway have effectively been canned. But overall I think HE/DfT are to be commended for focusing on projects that are deliverable and (in many cases) some way through statutory processes, such as Stonehenge, the Lower Thames Crossing, and A417. I'd far sooner have a realistic list of schemes taken over the finish line than a crayonista fantasy that achieves nothing.
NICK 647063

Post by NICK 647063 »

Well looking at it I'm massively disappointed, so the A64 is yet again put back and only mentioned as Hopgrove went it was supposed to be dualling.....

Doncaster to Darrington A1 upgrade is put back again, I've not had chance to have a real proper look through but it's massively disappointing and not was promised at the election by some local MP's
Herned

Post by Herned »

The segment about Stonehenge also includes the following ambiguous phrase:

RP2 will also see work continue on planning further enhancements to meet the commitment to create a high quality connection to the South West. To allow a focus on the delivery of the Tunnel and to limit disruption to those who use this route, the next phases of construction are likely to begin as the Tunnel completes.

I hope that means further dualling like Mere to Chicklade and not delaying the Sparkford-Ilchester and Taunton-Ilminster bits
jackal

Post by jackal »

Full list of schemes identified as 'Developed for next road period' (i.e. RIS2) in 2014, with their current status:

A64 Hopgrove Junction - RIS3
M1/M62 Lofthouse Interchange - RIS3
A1 Redhouse to Darrington - RIS3 (now part of A1 Doncaster to Darrington)
A1(M) Doncaster Bypass - RIS3 (now part of A1 Doncaster to Darrington)
M1 Junctions 35A-39 - RIS3
M60 Simister Island Interchange - RIS2
A46 Newark Northern Bypass - RIS2
M1 Junctions 19-23A - RIS3
M5/M42 Birmingham Box Phase 4 - cancelled?
A45 Stanwick to Thrapston - cancelled?
A12 Colchester Bypass widening - cancelled?
A12 M25 to Chelmsford - cancelled?
Lower Thames Crossing - RIS2
A417 'Missing link' at Air Balloon - RIS2

The government didn't commit to building these schemes in 2014 so it's not surprising that many haven't made it into RIS2, especially given unanticipated cost increases across the programme.
jackal

Post by jackal »

Herned wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 16:59 The segment about Stonehenge also includes the following ambiguous phrase:

RP2 will also see work continue on planning further enhancements to meet the commitment to create a high quality connection to the South West. To allow a focus on the delivery of the Tunnel and to limit disruption to those who use this route, the next phases of construction are likely to begin as the Tunnel completes.

I hope that means further dualling like Mere to Chicklade and not delaying the Sparkford-Ilchester and Taunton-Ilminster bits
The document is very clear about the sequencing:

RP2
A303 Amesbury to Berwick Down –
construction of a twin-bored tunnel as the
road passes Stonehenge, coupled with a
dual carriageway bypass for Winterborne
Stoke to link the existing dual carriageway at
Berwick Down.
A303 Sparkford to Ilchester – dualling of a
single carriageway section of the A303,
linking together the Sparkford and Ilchester
bypasses.
A358 Taunton to Southfields – creating a
dual carriageway link from the M5 at Taunton
to the A303, incorporating upgraded
stretches of the existing road into the SRN
where appropriate.

RIS3 pipeline
Just as the new projects announced in RIS2
have been under development during the
period covered by RIS1, the projects that will be
promised in RIS3 need to enter development
between now and 2025.

A303 Phase 2 upgrade
Herned

Post by Herned »

jackal wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 17:25 The document is very clear about the sequencing:
Yes, but that doesn't mean that they won't push back the start of the other schemes until after Stonehenge is finished, which is my point. Lots of the RIS1 schemes still haven't started and now we are nearly in RIS2
jackal

Post by jackal »

Herned wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 17:35
jackal wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 17:25 The document is very clear about the sequencing:
Yes, but that doesn't mean that they won't push back the start of the other schemes until after Stonehenge is finished, which is my point. Lots of the RIS1 schemes still haven't started and now we are nearly in RIS2
Stonehenge doesn't start construction until next year and is expected to open in 2026 (https://highwaysengland.co.uk/wp-conten ... 019-vi.pdf). Hence the follow on schemes they are talking about are RIS3, not RIS2.

Furthermore the contract for Sparkford to Ilchester is already awarded to Galliford Try and construction should start in the next couple of months.
Last edited by jackal on Wed Mar 11, 2020 18:23, edited 2 times in total.
NICK 647063

Post by NICK 647063 »

It just seems schemes are pushed back and back, I used the A64 as an example yes it's mentioned again but funding isn't committed, the scheme is simply listed as Hopgrove Junction yet its dualling east of York...

These schemes are likely to be pushed back again, nice to see A66 committed but I really don't get the A1 being such a priority, it rarely has delays on the sections to be dualled and has lower flows that the A64, let's just say I'm underwhelmed but not surprised.

Also am I right in thinking the woodhead pass is not mentioned, I can see a bypass for Mottram but no mention of anything for the A628 and A616?
Herned

Post by Herned »

jackal wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 18:18 ...Hence the follow on schemes they are talking about are RIS3, not RIS2.

Furthermore the contract for Sparkford to Ilchester is already awarded to Galliford Try and construction should start in the next couple of months.
I'm not convinced. Why do they make a point of saying it explicitly when it should be obvious that RIS3 schemes will come after RIS2 schemes?

Perhaps I'm being too cynical, but I have read a lot of government press releases and this leaps out. Especially in light of the fact that the Sparkford scheme should have been given the go-ahead by the transport minister ages ago
jackal

Post by jackal »

Herned wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 19:53
jackal wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 18:18 ...Hence the follow on schemes they are talking about are RIS3, not RIS2.

I'm not convinced. Why do they make a point of saying it explicitly when it should be obvious that RIS3 schemes will come after RIS2 schemes
How is that obvious? They could have simply called it a day with the RIS2 schemes. The passage in question is simply reassuring the reader that the A303 isn't considered done with the RIS2 schemes.
jabbaboy

Post by jabbaboy »

NICK 647063 wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 18:21 It just seems schemes are pushed back and back, I used the A64 as an example yes it's mentioned again but funding isn't committed, the scheme is simply listed as Hopgrove Junction yet its dualling east of York...

These schemes are likely to be pushed back again, nice to see A66 committed but I really don't get the A1 being such a priority, it rarely has delays on the sections to be dualled and has lower flows that the A64, let's just say I'm underwhelmed but not surprised.

Also am I right in thinking the woodhead pass is not mentioned, I can see a bypass for Mottram but no mention of anything for the A628 and A616?
To put it simply Anne-Marie Trevelyan in an ex. Lib Dem seat and Wansbeck which is a marginal seat. Scarborough and all the areas around it will be Tory regardless.

It's no doubt why the A1/A19 improvements (Moor Farm and Seaton Burn) in RIS3, that have come from nowhere, will no doubt be mentioned nearer the next election as a local reason to vote Tory so they can try and keep Blyth Valley and win Wansbeck with the Blyth and Tyne Railway no doubt done at some point aswell.
Berk

Post by Berk »

Herned wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 19:53
jackal wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 18:18...Hence the follow on schemes they are talking about are RIS3, not RIS2.

I'm not convinced. Why do they make a point of saying it explicitly when it should be obvious that RIS3 schemes will come after RIS2 schemes?

Perhaps I'm being too cynical, but I have read a lot of government press releases and this leaps out. Especially in light of the fact that the Sparkford scheme should have been given the go-ahead by the transport minister ages ago
I’m not quite sure what you mean here. In terms of a quick hit improvement for the trunk road network?? Sure.

Or in terms of approval for the current project?? Perhaps, but it is running on time. The fact a minister decided to call in a few final aspects of the scheme is pretty unknown these days, but far from unheard of. The unseasonal election didn’t help (around the same time as the call-in). I’m pretty sure they are minor, technical aspects that can be resolved very quickly.

And as much as I support all the A303 schemes, I’d be most anxious for Stonehenge (and Winterbourne) to get the go ahead asap. Ideally, HE would promote a quick, short scheme to fix Stockton Wood as well, so it can follow on (or run alongside) from Stonehenge.
Paul J

Post by Paul J »

An interesting side note on page 37 covers some orders to trunk and de-trunk certain sections of road.
Locally it's good to see the A453 by East Midlands Airport being looked at and hopefully eventually upgraded.
Also, it mentions possibly trunking M65 10-14 in RP3.
●Trunking: The A453 from the M1 to East
Midlands Airport (the UK’s second busiest
airport for freight traffic), and the
A13/A1014 from the end of the trunked
A13 through to the recently-opened
London Gateway Port, with a view to
transfer to Highways England.
● Detrunking: The A585 from the M55 to
Fleetwood, following completion of its
RIS1 improvement project, the A40 from
the Gloucester Ring Road to Boxbush,
and the NEC Eastway, with a view to
transferring these roads to Lancashire
County Council, Gloucestershire County
Council and Solihull Metropolitan
Borough Council respectively.

Other discussions with local highway
authorities are at an earlier stage, including
potentially trunking the M65 between
Junctions 10 and 14 pending the findings of
the Central Pennines study described later.
We will explore these and further changes to
the extent of the network that could be
implemented for the start of RP3.