Road Investment Strategy 2

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

thatapanydude

Re: Road Investment Strategy 2

Post by thatapanydude »

As I mentioned a few weeks back the document confirms the A1(M) J6 to J8 "smart motorway" plan has been pushed back to another road period - I would guess RIS3.
A1/A1(M) >>> M1
GeekyJames

Post by GeekyJames »

jervi wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 19:09
Debaser wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 17:37 Doesn't look like there's another relevant thread on this, but HE have published their RIS2 Delivery Plan.

https://www.highwaysmagazine.co.uk/High ... d-map/8517
Nice that they have provided a timeline of when they are installing SVD. The M20 project (that I don't think it 100% complete yet) is getting it this year, along with the M3. But the M23 that is very close to being fully open with NSL is getting it in 2021-2022, I'm sure the people of Sussex will throw their toys out the pram again due to more road works, and likely the same people who complain that they are too dangerous too.

This information I think is new:
We will also continue with our ongoing safety monitoring to evaluate whether existing and new smart motorways are as safe as, or safer than the conventional motorways they replaced. We will provide annual reporting from October 2020
Also interesting to see that the A27 Worthing-Lancing improvements are due to be open to traffic beyond RP2, seems odd since the works were only going to take 18 months and due to start 2020. - Just had a look on the HE website, A27 Worthing - Lancing start date is now 2024-2025... They are probably making sure that the Arundel Bypass going to be near end of construction before committing to any works at Worthing

Re. Worthing - I think HE are going to come up with a new proposal based on this text in the document:

For our A27 Worthing and Lancing improvement
project, we will work with local stakeholders
on new design proposals that deliver value
for money for the taxpayer. We will agree a
package of enhancements between Worthing
and Lancing that improves the capacity and
flow of traffic on this section of the SRN.

Also note this listed in the RIS3 pipeline - I guess should read Southampton...

M27 south and Westhampton access
owen b

Post by owen b »

I remain surprised that M6 15-16 isn't included for ALR. I appreciate that traffic is slightly less than on adjoining sections but not enough I would have thought not to include an ALR scheme.

No mention of A1 / A1(M) from M18 to Darrington either, and precious little on the HE website that I can see.
Owen
NICK 647063

Post by NICK 647063 »

No mention of A1 / A1(M) from M18 to Darrington either, and precious little on the HE website that I can see.

I did read the full document the A1 Darrington to M18 is mentioned simply as a scheme for RIS3 as listed with all the other schemes, personally the A1 south of the M62 should be priority over the A1 North of Newcastle which I never find that bad, nice to see the A66 seems to be pushing ahead I was on there yesterday and it was gridlocked seems to suffer more now the A1(M) is fully upgraded, seems traffic can get onto the A66 quicker then get stuck at the first reduction to S2.

I did also notice many smaller “improvements” mentioned further down like CCTV installations and one I didn’t know about was A64 York to Scarborough variable message signs, at least then people can be warned of the constant congestion between York and Malton, although it does seem strange to add VMS to that section but not from A1(M) to York.
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

owen b wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 23:30 I remain surprised that M6 15-16 isn't included for ALR. I appreciate that traffic is slightly less than on adjoining sections but not enough I would have thought not to include an ALR scheme.

I believe that was pushed back to RIS 3
jackal

Post by jackal »

The Delivery Plan Update 2021-22 has been published: https://highwaysengland.co.uk/media/bz3 ... sion-1.pdf

I compared it to the delivery plan published a year ago (link above). Here are the bigger changes I noticed:

Forward (into earlier FY)
A19 Norton to Wynyward
M6 J8-10a DHS to ALR

Back (into later FY)
M56 J6-8
M4 J3-12

Added
A21 Safety Package
A5 Dordon to Atherstone (housing infrastructure scheme for RIS3)

Removed
A5 Dodwells to Longshoot (reconsidered for A5 Hinckley to Tamworth pipeline scheme)

I'll post about the A5 elsewhere.

Also of interest (and also to be posted elsewhere) is this:
Install radar Stopped Vehicle Detection (SVD) technology on every existing ALR
scheme by end of September 2022. All new schemes will have radar SVD
technology installed before they open, including the six schemes currently in
construction
jackal

Post by jackal »

jackal wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 17:17 Full list of schemes identified as 'Developed for next road period' (i.e. RIS2) in 2014, with their current status:

A64 Hopgrove Junction - RIS3
M1/M62 Lofthouse Interchange - RIS3
A1 Redhouse to Darrington - RIS3 (now part of A1 Doncaster to Darrington)
A1(M) Doncaster Bypass - RIS3 (now part of A1 Doncaster to Darrington)
M1 Junctions 35A-39 - RIS3
M60 Simister Island Interchange - RIS2
A46 Newark Northern Bypass - RIS2
M1 Junctions 19-23A - RIS3
M5/M42 Birmingham Box Phase 4 - cancelled?
A45 Stanwick to Thrapston - cancelled?
A12 Colchester Bypass widening - cancelled?
A12 M25 to Chelmsford - cancelled?
Lower Thames Crossing - RIS2
A417 'Missing link' at Air Balloon - RIS2

The government didn't commit to building these schemes in 2014 so it's not surprising that many haven't made it into RIS2, especially given unanticipated cost increases across the programme.
Updates in bold:

A64 Hopgrove Junction - RIS3
M1/M62 Lofthouse Interchange - RIS3
A1 Redhouse to Darrington - RIS3 (now part of A1 Doncaster to Darrington)
A1(M) Doncaster Bypass - RIS3 (now part of A1 Doncaster to Darrington)
M1 Junctions 35A-39 - on hold
M60 Simister Island Interchange - RIS3
A46 Newark Northern Bypass - RIS2
M1 Junctions 19-23A - split into M1 Leicester Western Access and M1 North Leicestershire, both presumably on hold
M5/M42 Birmingham Box Phase 4 - cancelled?
A45 Stanwick to Thrapston - cancelled?
A12 Colchester Bypass widening - cancelled?
A12 M25 to Chelmsford - cancelled?
Lower Thames Crossing - RIS2
A417 'Missing link' at Air Balloon - RIS2

It seems Air Balloon really will start in RIS2 as it has its DCO with no legal challenges received. We'll see if Newark and the LTC manage it.
roadtester

Post by roadtester »

jackal wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 09:56 A45 Stanwick to Thrapston - cancelled?
I think I had a bit of a moan about this one when you published your original list. It’s the only single carriageway section on a busy otherwise DC corridor between the A14 and M1. Very frustrating.

I agree that Air Balloon is great news though. For years I was doubtful that could or would ever be fixed.
Electrophorus Electricus

Check out #davidsdailycar on Mastodon
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

roadtester wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 10:37 I think I had a bit of a moan about this one when you published your original list. It’s the only single carriageway section on a busy otherwise DC corridor between the A14 and M1. Very frustrating.
I concur, it should be relatively cheap as it runs through open country.