Parking ban?

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

trickstat

Re: Parking ban?

Post by trickstat »

Chris Bertram wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 23:48 Without accusing the camera of lying, Streetview doesn't always tell the full picture and I'd rather see the situation in person to answer your questions. I can speak to the situation on my street.
While I understand your point, both of those roads look wide enough to me for two-way traffic without pavement parking. The only clear justification I can think of is if the road is heavily used by large HGVs.
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

Berk wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 00:57 I’ll remind the highways department of that when they put railings up so you can’t cross the road.
I've never known a Highways Authority to put pedestrian railings up with no footpath on one side.

Presumably in the single-sided pavement world there will be some kind of legal requirement to ensure that those selfish types who can't be bothered to think of anyone but themselves leave a motorised wheelchair (plus breathing room) space either side of every parked vehicle?
Steven
Motorway Historian

Founder Member, SABRE ex-Presidents' Corner

Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!

AndyB
Elected Committee Member

Post by AndyB »

Berk wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 00:18 Wouldn’t they find it easier to use an at-grade surface, rather than a bumpy footpath?? Whether it’s block paved, or tarmaced, they’re seldom smooth these days.
Wheelchair users would. One problem is that an at-grade cycle path is a cycle path that cyclists should expect to be free of anything but pedestrians using the green cross code and therefore not being in the way.

So you still get someone living at number 24 with no footway outside their house having to travel to outside number 50 or outside number 2 to get to the other side, coping with cyclists and parked cars (illegally or otherwise, depending on whether it is a solid line cycle lane with a TRO or advisory). Not acceptable.

The other problem is the blind person at number 36 who is stepping directly into the road with no protection. Not acceptable either.
M5Lenzar
Banned

Post by M5Lenzar »

Bryn666 wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 23:30 If your answer is "they'll block traffic if they don't park on the footway" then that road needs double yellow lines.
We need to reduce those ghastly things as much as possible, not paint even more.
AndyB
Elected Committee Member

Post by AndyB »

Unfortunately, the result of drivers being incapable of parking with consideration for other road users is yellow lines and bans on footway parking.

It's like Martin Cassini's arguments that priority junctions and speed limits should be removed and shared spaces be installed so that drivers will magically learn to drive with consideration for others.

It doesn't work. Too much entitlement and selfishness meaning, as I've said once or twice before, those who engage brain before moving or parking their vehicle suffer the same rules in order to mitigate those who think only of themselves.
Berk

Post by Berk »

trickstat wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 07:09
Chris Bertram wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 23:48 Without accusing the camera of lying, Streetview doesn't always tell the full picture and I'd rather see the situation in person to answer your questions. I can speak to the situation on my street.
While I understand your point, both of those roads look wide enough to me for two-way traffic without pavement parking. The only clear justification I can think of is if the road is heavily used by large HGVs.
What about people with commercial vehicles, or vans who persistently park on the street?? Households with 6 vehicles are not uncommon now.

Some of these are hire vehicles, so presumably they’ll go back to base as long as the emergency lasts. And with pay cuts for people having their wages subsidised and the self-employed, it may make them think twice about how many vehicles they actually need, and want to keep.
trickstat

Post by trickstat »

Berk wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 17:29
trickstat wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 07:09
What about people with commercial vehicles, or vans who persistently park on the street?? Households with 6 vehicles are not uncommon now.

Some of these are hire vehicles, so presumably they’ll go back to base as long as the emergency lasts. And with pay cuts for people having their wages subsidised and the self-employed, it may make them think twice about how many vehicles they actually need, and want to keep.
I'm sorry but I can't see what that's got to do with pavement parking? Unless you are suggesting that people might have to park on the pavement because all the road is taken up by these multiple vehicles?!
Berk

Post by Berk »

Yes, that’s precisely it. I can see one such hire van from my window. And another guy’s work van is now parked in his front garden, rather than being on the road.

Very few houses have parking room for 6 or more vehicles. The only way my parents neighbours could make it fit was to dig up the front garden; the parking area is basically an extension of the driveway, all gravelled.

If people still only had access to one or two vehicles, this problem would only affect those narrow, Victorian terraced streets.
Vierwielen

Post by Vierwielen »

Will car-parking be allowed on this verge? For the record, people frequently park here as there is a footpath to the left that is often used by dog-walkers (me included) leading to a pub through the woods (about 1200 metres). There are however many walkers who cross the road a little beyond where the car is as there are two schools a few hundred metres down the road and a pedestrian/cyclist bridge to the right leading to a residential area.
trickstat

Post by trickstat »

Vierwielen wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 17:01 Will car-parking be allowed on this verge? For the record, people frequently park here as there is a footpath to the left that is often used by dog-walkers (me included) leading to a pub through the woods (about 1200 metres). There are however many walkers who cross the road a little beyond where the car is as there are two schools a few hundred metres down the road and a pedestrian/cyclist bridge to the right leading to a residential area.
Well I suppose it isn't a pavement as such although a short distance further on there is one.
Vierwielen

Post by Vierwielen »

trickstat wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 17:06
Vierwielen wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 17:01 Will car-parking be allowed on this verge? For the record, people frequently park here as there is a footpath to the left that is often used by dog-walkers (me included) leading to a pub through the woods (about 1200 metres). There are however many walkers who cross the road a little beyond where the car is as there are two schools a few hundred metres down the road and a pedestrian/cyclist bridge to the right leading to a residential area.
Well I suppose it isn't a pavement as such although a short distance further on there is one.
The draft legislation (when I last read it) actually quotes "Verges and pavements"