Parking ban?

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Berk

Re: Parking ban?

Post by Berk »

AFAIK shared space environments don’t appear to even have a kerbline.

I’m all for having one, just that it should be set (and be no higher) than foot height, like a dropped kerb.
C83

Post by C83 »

Berk wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 23:08
C83 wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 23:00So I'd agree with a standard that it is illegal to park on the pavement, where there are particularly narrow roads and wide pavements, councils could put up signs to permit locally, but when the road is next due for repair, pavement and carriageway widths should be adjusted.
I’d firmly agree with that, but also ask why do we need pavements on both sides of the street outside city centres??
Hmm, so thinking of this from the perspective of a person in a wheelchair/with buggy, one pavement would work in some locations, but not in others. In a new build estate where it is all cul-de-sacs there is limited traffic, if someone leaves their house, gets to the end of their garden path/drive then has to walk 10m down a quiet street to reach a dropped kerb on the other side, that probably works ok. Particularly if parking is only on the pavement side and not in front of dropped kerbs.

On a 'Coronation Street' terrace where the houses face directly onto the road with no garden it wouldn't work. Firstly, you would have to ban parking directly outside of the doors, as otherwise they simply wouldn't get out the door. Secondly, even if that was the case a pedestrian squeezes between the cars, if they may well need a dropped kerb to access the pavement opposite, how far down the road do they need to walk to access a pavement.

The absolute priority should be that a pedestrian with limited mobility can get between 2 buildings or from the building they are in to a point where they can access a vehicle or public transport safely.
Simon_GNR

Post by Simon_GNR »

rhyds wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:38(you'll still get a double buggy or wheelchair past the car with ease)
To me, that is the main criterion as to whether parking partly on the pavement is OK. If there's still enough room for such pavement users, what's the problem?
Berk

Post by Berk »

Simon_GNR wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 18:33
rhyds wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:38(you'll still get a double buggy or wheelchair past the car with ease)
To me, that is the main criterion as to whether parking partly on the pavement is OK. If there's still enough room for such pavement users, what's the problem?
The problem is that for many terraced streets, including my own, it simply isn’t possible.

And in fact, for older Victorian/Edwardian terraces, it’s even worse - you’ve barely got one vehicle width’s access - barely S1 with parking on both sides.

I think the only way to fix the worst streets is to compulsorily purchase half of the street so it can be knocked down.

It might sound harsh, but you can introduce a cycle path or green features at the same time, to encourage walking.
Vierwielen

Post by Vierwielen »

Steven wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:12
M5Lenzar wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 09:58 This is a draconian measure that will not help anyone
Other than people in wheelchairs. Or people with pushchairs. Or the blind. Or indeed, pedestrians.

Or actually, people who pay council tax that has to be spent on repairing damaged footpaths.
On reading through the legislation going through Parliament I could not find any references to pedestrians. I wiuydl have thought that as long as anybody legitimately using the pavement was not inconvenienced, then that should be a defence.

I have read a few EU directives and also UK laws. The biggest difference that struck me was that the first section of any EU directive was called the "recital" and it gave the reason for the directive whereas UK legislation merely states who is making the law and what the law is. The advantage of having the recital is that it shows what the law is trying to achieve.
Big Nick

Post by Big Nick »

Yeah, if you can explain how to reduce pavement parking on streets like these without upsetting all the residents?
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.36755 ... 8192?hl=en

It's all very well saying demolish half the street but where will you house those residents? You could demolish 1 in 5 homes and create parking spaces or perhaps a small multi story at the end but people like being able to look out and see their cars.

Perhaps the answer is to negate the need for personal car ownership altogether....
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

Vierwielen wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 22:51
Steven wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:12
M5Lenzar wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 09:58 This is a draconian measure that will not help anyone
Other than people in wheelchairs. Or people with pushchairs. Or the blind. Or indeed, pedestrians.

Or actually, people who pay council tax that has to be spent on repairing damaged footpaths.
On reading through the legislation going through Parliament I could not find any references to pedestrians. I wiuydl have thought that as long as anybody legitimately using the pavement was not inconvenienced, then that should be a defence.

I have read a few EU directives and also UK laws. The biggest difference that struck me was that the first section of any EU directive was called the "recital" and it gave the reason for the directive whereas UK legislation merely states who is making the law and what the law is. The advantage of having the recital is that it shows what the law is trying to achieve.
There are often explanatory notes at the end of legislation or statutory instruments which try and give a reason as to what the legislation is trying to achieve.... although admittedly it isn't always helpful...!
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
Vierwielen

Post by Vierwielen »

I am the neighbourhood watch rep for our close.

When this legislation was first mooted, a retired army officer who lived at the end of the close used a mobility scooter. I visited him an measued the width of his scooter. I also measured the width of a double buggy that belonged to one of the mums in the close. Both were between 70 and 80 cm. I then entered into correspondence with our MP and suggested to him that a fair comrpomise woudl be to permit pavement parkingprovided that there was a one metre gap for pedestrians, buggy users and mobility scooter users. My letters went to the minister, but it seems that my suggestion was ignored.

We must now wait for the refuse lorry to refuse to service our wheelie bins due to cars parked in the road. This happened before - in 1997 - and I was then in correspondence with the local police.
Fenlander

Post by Fenlander »

The useable width now might be very different in a few weeks when the hedges start growing properly, there’s one I drive past every day who parks her car on the path covering about 50% of it but still leaving enough room to get past. As the bush in her garden grows though that space quickly gets smaller to the point that she starts to park facing the other way so she can get in from the road side instead of from the pavement.
Ruperts Trooper

Post by Ruperts Trooper »

Fenlander wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 00:17 The useable width now might be very different in a few weeks when the hedges start growing properly, there’s one I drive past every day who parks her car on the path covering about 50% of it but still leaving enough room to get past. As the bush in her garden grows though that space quickly gets smaller to the point that she starts to park facing the other way so she can get in from the road side instead of from the pavement.
That's a different issue - if overgrown vegetation reduces the pavement width, that should be cut back - if necessary with appropriate enforcement orders.
Lifelong motorhead
WHBM

Post by WHBM »

Ruperts Trooper wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 08:12 That's a different issue - if overgrown vegetation reduces the pavement width, that should be cut back - if necessary with appropriate enforcement orders.
Highways authorities landscaping is of course the worst for this - who is going to enforce against that ?
Vierwielen wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 23:02 We must now wait for the refuse lorry to refuse to service our wheelie bins due to cars parked in the road.
This would be reasonable if the refuse department was reasonable as well. When I first moved here the refuse lorry had no issue manoeuvring round the typical 1980s London Docklands semi-shared space layout. Since then, each generation of vehicles has been larger and longer in all dimensions, all it seems to suit the convenience of the refuse department in easing handling and staying out all day. It's as if the periodic managers' meetings with their neighbours have some "mine's bigger than yours" showing-off competition. Our current machine, a vast 6-wheeler, way larger than the fire engine, led throughout our neighbourhood firstly to double yellow lines being splatted on the typical Docklands attractive brick paviors round which there had never been any parking problem, followed by the felling (not pruning but actual felling) of our nice trees in their planting boxes where they overhung this leviathan. I'm just waiting for them to start issuing CPOs on houses at the corners.
Helvellyn

Post by Helvellyn »

Berk wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 20:09 And in fact, for older Victorian/Edwardian terraces, it’s even worse - you’ve barely got one vehicle width’s access - barely S1 with parking on both sides.

I think the only way to fix the worst streets is to compulsorily purchase half of the street so it can be knocked down.

It might sound harsh, but you can introduce a cycle path or green features at the same time, to encourage walking.
That'll cause considerably more problems than it solves.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Helvellyn wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 15:02
Berk wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 20:09 And in fact, for older Victorian/Edwardian terraces, it’s even worse - you’ve barely got one vehicle width’s access - barely S1 with parking on both sides.

That'll cause considerably more problems than it solves.
Indeed, that's redesigning society for cars, not people. The answer is simple, don't buy a house with nowhere to park if you want somewhere to park. You wouldn't buy a house without a toilet so why would you buy one without a parking space and then complain you can't park?
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
M5Lenzar
Banned

Post by M5Lenzar »

Bryn666 wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 13:40 Indeed, that's redesigning society for cars, not people. The answer is simple, don't buy a house with nowhere to park if you want somewhere to park. You wouldn't buy a house without a toilet so why would you buy one without a parking space and then complain you can't park?
This ban would be akin to the government removing your toilet after you've made the purchase.
AndyB
Elected Committee Member

Post by AndyB »

Not really.

If you park on the street, you are at the mercy of yellow lines and the inability to park near your door due to other people on business in your area. You don't buy parking outside unless you buy space as part of your property, so preventing you from parking on the footway isn't taking away something to which you have a right.

It's always about the right to get about your business, because there is no right to choose your method of transport.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

M5Lenzar wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 14:06
Bryn666 wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 13:40 Indeed, that's redesigning society for cars, not people. The answer is simple, don't buy a house with nowhere to park if you want somewhere to park. You wouldn't buy a house without a toilet so why would you buy one without a parking space and then complain you can't park?
This ban would be akin to the government removing your toilet after you've made the purchase.
You don't own the road outside your house, completely false equivalence.
Bryn

Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

Bryn666 wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 14:26
Not *completely* false, I suggest. People take all kinds of things into consideration when deciding which house to buy - the view, the numbers of bedrooms, the size of any garden ... the provision of parking, off-street and/or on-street. And they will research if there are any plans to change any aspect of the property, such as the line of a proposed by-pass, plans to erect new houses nearby, and proposals to alter street layouts and parking in any way among them. Now of course nothing can be guaranteed in perpetuity, but the removal of a provision on which you have relied for some time is a material change to the suitability of a property. There is certainly cause to be upset at such a change, even if you have no legal right to redress.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Chris Bertram wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 14:54
Bryn666 wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 14:26
Not *completely* false, I suggest. People take all kinds of things into consideration when deciding which house to buy - the view, the numbers of bedrooms, the size of any garden ... the provision of parking, off-street and/or on-street. And they will research if there are any plans to change any aspect of the property, such as the line of a proposed by-pass, plans to erect new houses nearby, and proposals to alter street layouts and parking in any way among them. Now of course nothing can be guaranteed in perpetuity, but the removal of a provision on which you have relied for some time is a material change to the suitability of a property. There is certainly cause to be upset at such a change, even if you have no legal right to redress.
Caveat emptor.

Relying on something you have no control over to remain the way you want it to be is foolhardy at best. It is a given that road restrictions are subject to change, being taken by surprise by such a fact is again foolhardy at best.
Bryn

Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

Bryn666 wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 15:10
Bryn666 wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 14:26 You don't own the road outside your house, completely false equivalence.
Caveat emptor.

Relying on something you have no control over to remain the way you want it to be is foolhardy at best. It is a given that road restrictions are subject to change, being taken by surprise by such a fact is again foolhardy at best.
No, you do your research and rely on the best information available. If that's foolhardy, then we're all fools. Anyway, if such a change happens, there is normally notice plus a right to object, so the aspect of surprise doesn't really come into it.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Chris Bertram wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 15:27
Bryn666 wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 15:10
Caveat emptor.

No, you do your research and rely on the best information available. If that's foolhardy, then we're all fools. Anyway, if such a change happens, there is normally notice plus a right to object, so the aspect of surprise doesn't really come into it.
Relying on the best information - yes, it's the public highway and you haven't any rights to park on it. That is crystal clear, so you are taking a risk. It's not even calculated. You know the situation will likely change at some point.

I've no sympathy with it, owning a car does not give you more rights than anyone else.
Bryn