Coronavirus: Private and Commercial transport

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Truvelo

Re: Is Coronavirus Reducing Levels of Traffic?

Post by Truvelo »

haymansafc wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 21:17 ... A good couple of those minutes we're spent held up at the usual poorly-timed traffic lights – giving green light time to thin air.
I'm sure a lot of part time lights could be permanently switched off at the moment. They just cause needless idling.
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
trickstat

Post by trickstat »

Truvelo wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 21:25
haymansafc wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 21:17 ... A good couple of those minutes we're spent held up at the usual poorly-timed traffic lights – giving green light time to thin air.
I'm sure a lot of part time lights could be permanently switched off at the moment. They just cause needless idling.
I bet these at J7 of the A1(M) are still on as they are, for no good reason, full-time. This will be particularly ridiculous at this time, as the only traffic to ever give way to here is either going to a Novotel or Knebworth House/Park, both of which will be closed.

https://www.google.com/maps/@51.8877968 ... 312!8i6656
darkcape

Post by darkcape »

I thought about switching off traffic lights but you only have to see how drivers behave when there's a power cut to realise it's a terrible idea.
Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
Rambo

Post by Rambo »

deleted - wrong thread
Last edited by Rambo on Sat Apr 04, 2020 09:37, edited 1 time in total.
trickstat

Post by trickstat »

Rambo wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 22:47 There is one here on the St Helens linkway near the M62 junction which is NSL https://www.google.com/maps/@53.4069471 ... 384!8i8192 although i've never seen anybody using it.
Wrong thread?
trickstat

Post by trickstat »

darkcape wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 22:16 I thought about switching off traffic lights but you only have to see how drivers behave when there's a power cut to realise it's a terrible idea.
I think there is a case for switching them off at most roundabouts but I think doing the same at t-junctions and cross-roads could be problematic.
Rambo

Post by Rambo »

trickstat wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 00:02
Rambo wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 22:47 There is one here on the St Helens linkway near the M62 junction which is NSL https://www.google.com/maps/@53.4069471 ... 384!8i8192 although i've never seen anybody using it.
Wrong thread?
well spotted :oops:
DavidB

Post by DavidB »

trickstat wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 00:05
darkcape wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 22:16 I thought about switching off traffic lights but you only have to see how drivers behave when there's a power cut to realise it's a terrible idea.
I think there is a case for switching them off at most roundabouts but I think doing the same at t-junctions and cross-roads could be problematic.
I remember from some years ago when the lights at the A321/A3032 cross-roads near me in Twyford were out of action for 2 or 3 days - yes traffic flowed more freely but there was an ever-mounting pile of broken glass in the middle of the junction. :(
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

DavidB wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 09:43
trickstat wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 00:05 I think there is a case for switching them off at most roundabouts but I think doing the same at t-junctions and cross-roads could be problematic.
I remember from some years ago when the lights at the A321/A3032 cross-roads near me in Twyford were out of action for 2 or 3 days - yes traffic flowed more freely but there was an ever-mounting pile of broken glass in the middle of the junction. :(
It works well in America. At night many crossroad traffic lights flash amber or red at night when not in use. They are treated as a priority junction where the approaches faced with flashing red have to give way to those approaching a flashing amber. And it's not just small back roads either, I saw one of the junctions here flash amber.
Big and complex.
trickstat

Post by trickstat »

Truvelo wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:03
DavidB wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 09:43
trickstat wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 00:05 I think there is a case for switching them off at most roundabouts but I think doing the same at t-junctions and cross-roads could be problematic.
It works well in America. At night many crossroad traffic lights flash amber or red at night when not in use. They are treated as a priority junction where the approaches faced with flashing red have to give way to those approaching a flashing amber. And it's not just small back roads either, I saw one of the junctions here flash amber.
I think there are some junctions where the sightlines and lack of a safe refuge area if you have to abort halfway through a right-turn would be a problem with no lights.
JohnnyMo

Post by JohnnyMo »

UK road travel falls to 1955 levels
. Until you see the graphs you don't realise just how quiet it must be out there.
“The simple step of a courageous individual is not to take part in the lie" - Aleksandr I. Solzhenitsyn
Johnny Mo
TomJ

Post by TomJ »

There's an interesting set of graphs on the Norwich subreddit showing how the various reasons for transport have either increased or decreased recently around here. Unsure as to quite how accurate the figures are, but interesting nonetheless. Decreases in pretty much all areas other than residential.

You can view it here.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
marconaf

Post by marconaf »

Truvelo wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:03 It works well in America. At night many crossroad traffic lights flash amber or red at night when not in use. They are treated as a priority junction where the approaches faced with flashing red have to give way to those approaching a flashing amber. And it's not just small back roads either, I saw one of the junctions here flash amber.

Aaaaarrrgggghhhh!

Having spent 9 months in the US in the last 2 years I never knew that and always treated them as a regular 4 way stop taking it in turns if arrival. That explains a few horns/looks when I was on the minor road. There was also a junction in one place permamently on that set up - I was always on the main route but that explains why people who arrived early gave way to me (after a long pause me waiting!).
skiddaw05

Post by skiddaw05 »

TomJ wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 16:10 There's an interesting set of graphs on the Norwich subreddit showing how the various reasons for transport have either increased or decreased recently around here. Unsure as to quite how accurate the figures are, but interesting nonetheless. Decreases in pretty much all areas other than residential.

You can view it here.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
Transport presumably just means motor vehicles. If it included pedestrians and cyclists the leisure graph could well show a marked increase. I've taken to cycling round the back lanes to avoid the masses
TomJ

Post by TomJ »

skiddaw05 wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 22:56 Transport presumably just means motor vehicles. If it included pedestrians and cyclists the leisure graph could well show a marked increase. I've taken to cycling round the back lanes to avoid the masses
From what I can tell in this description of the data, it seems to be based on Google's device location history. Therefore it may well include walking/jogging/cycling to places.
odlum

Post by odlum »

M50 in Dublin has gone from gridlock to driving paradise

Never seen it mostly empty day after day like this.
Big Nick

Post by Big Nick »

I don't think it's been mentioned on here yet. The London Congestion Charge, ULEZ and LEZ have all been suspended to make it easier for key workers to get to work by car.
https://tfl.gov.uk/info-for/media/press ... al-workers
Piatkow

Post by Piatkow »

odlum wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 05:47 M50 in Dublin has gone from gridlock to driving paradise

Never seen it mostly empty day after day like this.
Just been looking at cameras on the M25. Several that I looked at showed zero traffic in either direction. The busiest showed three vehicles going in the same direction.
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

The third photo shows typically poor lane discipline when traffic is light. No one is using lane 1 heading towards us :@
Big and complex.
XC70

Post by XC70 »

Truvelo wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 15:38 The third photo shows typically poor lane discipline when traffic is light. No one is using lane 1 heading towards us :@
Or perhaps all 3 cars are driven by excellent far sighted drivers who have all just moved out from lane 1 to allow the traffic joining from the left to easily merge. Now what would Jim Royle say..... "My ***e!".