Coronavirus: Private and Commercial transport

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Johnathan404

Re: Coronavirus: Private and Commercial transport

Post by Johnathan404 »

Dublin City Council have now published their detailed statement on Covid-19 and Mobility in the City. Highlights include:

- Businesses will be able to request permission to use part of the street for queueing or seating, to facilitate social distancing while supporting the local economy.

- Bus routes to be spread out across a number of central streets to allow for social distancing at bus stops and reduced green time at city centre traffic lights. This will require infrastructure changes, such as an end to the one-way system on Winetavern Street.

- Many part-time cycle lanes which are normally used as parking or loading bays at night will now have bollards placed along them. This is expected to encourage cyclists to feel safe using them during the daytime.

- 14 new or upgraded cross-city, on-road cycle routes, to encourage cycling where it is feasible.

- Traffic lights to give a head start to cyclists to reduce the number of collisions caused by cars turning without looking, in turn encouraging cyclists to feel safe.

- Improved priority measures for buses at junctions to keep bus journey times down (and therefore increase capacity through PVR). This also appears to represent feedback from bus users on how much better the last few weeks have been.

- Pilot example of a temporary build-out to be installed, to facilitate social distancing at crowded bus stops.

- Speed limits will be reduced which will supposedly account for pedestrians stepping out into the street while social distancing.

- Only a statement on pedestrianisation: "The Council is open to the idea, and willing to explore the potential." They also mention an aspiration for "conversion of the complete space" at College Green.

- All pedestrian crossings to fire automatically during the daytime, to remove the need for touch. They seem to think they have invented a new form of traffic calming with this one. :roll:

- Up to 40 seconds per 120s cycle has been removed from road traffic's green time at every set of traffic lights, to facilitate social distancing at pedestrian crossings.

- For cars, there is this line - but I can't find anything to back it up: "measures which facilitate continued car use have been identified and incorporated into this framework".

Public transport capacity has been reduced to 20% of its usual size, which in turn implies that more buses will be needed. Traffic light capacity has been reduced by 30%, which somewhat optimistically they think can work, but they do acknowledge that it is a "major reduction in capacity".

Regardless, the attitude seems to be that road space needs to be taken away and there is nothing that can be done in the short term about that. Car drivers are to be encouraged to use off-street parking and to walk to their destination.

The focus of the framework is on changes which can be made overnight, and can stay in place for years, with those which are well received becoming permanent. This means the council's fetish for orcas is set to continue.
I have websites about: motorway services | Fareham
rhyds

Post by rhyds »

Today I had to drive 150 miles through the middle of Wales for work, and it was interesting to see what the situation looked like.

Traffic levels were quiet, but not dead, imagine the average Sunday afternoon. Most traffic was commercial vehicles (HGVs, Work vans and agricultural/livestock transport) but the number of "normal" private cars was higher than previously.

The other odd one was that even with the reduced traffic levels, all the A470's traditional pinch points (Rheadr A44 junction, Builth Wells, Abercynon) still involved stopping
Built for comfort, not speed.
roadtester

Post by roadtester »

rhyds wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 20:37 Today I had to drive 150 miles through the middle of Wales for work, and it was interesting to see what the situation looked like.

Traffic levels were quiet, but not dead, imagine the average Sunday afternoon. Most traffic was commercial vehicles (HGVs, Work vans and agricultural/livestock transport) but the number of "normal" private cars was higher than previously.

The other odd one was that even with the reduced traffic levels, all the A470's traditional pinch points (Rheadr A44 junction, Builth Wells, Abercynon) still involved stopping
I've been out quite a bit (relatively) - I've driven to South London and to Gloucestershire with my brother from Cambs under the "preparing/maintaining a property for rent/sale" bit of the rules and, as you found, the roads were quiet but not empty.

The main problem is a lack of roadside facilities. Fuel isn't an issue but things like lavatory/meal stops need more planning.

I stopped at two MSAs - Corley and Birchanger - and facilities were mainly restricted to the shops at the filling stations and in the amenities buildings, with none of the fast food outlets/coffee shops open, although I think the free-standing Starbucks drive-throughs had been operating but had closed by the evening when I was there. At least one of the hotels at Birchanger was open to accommodate essential workers.
Electrophorus Electricus

Check out #davidsdailycar on Mastodon
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

rhyds wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 20:37 Today I had to drive 150 miles through the middle of Wales for work, and it was interesting to see what the situation looked like.

With the greatest of respect, the junction in Rhayader town centre would involve stopping at midnight on Sunday night at any time of year due to the dreadful visibility.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
rhyds

Post by rhyds »

Chris Bertram wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 20:49

With the greatest of respect, the junction in Rhayader town centre would involve stopping at midnight on Sunday night at any time of year due to the dreadful visibility.
What I mean is there was a queue, not that I had to stop at the Stop line!
rhyds

Post by rhyds »

roadtester wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 20:48 I've been out quite a bit (relatively) - I've driven to South London and to Gloucestershire with my brother from Cambs under the "preparing/maintaining a property for rent/sale" bit of the rules and, as you found, the roads were quiet but not empty.

The main problem is a lack of roadside facilities. Fuel isn't an issue but things like lavatory/meal stops need more planning.

I stopped at two MSAs - Corley and Birchanger - and facilities were mainly restricted to the shops at the filling stations and in the amenities buildings, with none of the fast food outlets/coffee shops open, although I think the free-standing Starbucks drive-throughs had been operating but had closed by the evening when I was there. At least one of the hotels at Birchanger was open to accommodate essential workers.
The handy thing for me was I was in the works pool Focus estate with a 600 mile tank, so I could brim it when I left and it'll do me for the whole time I'm away working, helping to reduce my interactions with others.

The downside was not being able to stop on the way for a pee!
WHBM

Post by WHBM »

On my side, I need to go to a Liverpool industrial estate next week, where there is a problem. Day return, plus a day's work when there. Normally train from Euston, but I will drive. It will be interesting to see the differences.

Commercially, I see that Shearings coach holidays has gone under today. They also had some other longstanding brands in the group, like Wallace Arnold, and National holiday part that was once part of National Express. They also kept in business many older/traditional secondary hotels, who will struggle even more now, or more likely be demolished and have flats built on the site.
RichardA35
Elected Committee Member

Post by RichardA35 »

WHBM wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 21:44 On my side, I need to go to a Liverpool industrial estate next week, where there is a problem. Day return, plus a day's work when there. Normally train from Euston, but I will drive. It will be interesting to see the differences.
Interestingly, since social distancing came in our site accommodation has been under pressure and visitors or "travellers" have been banned from site. Swathes of our firms's management have been forced to stay at home and it has opened their eyes to a new way of working. Meetings held over video conference are more efficient as there is less time wasting behaviour. They are reporting less fatigue as time wasted on driving between sites is substantially down. The challenge is to make the change permanent.
trickstat

Post by trickstat »

WHBM wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 21:44 On my side, I need to go to a Liverpool industrial estate next week, where there is a problem. Day return, plus a day's work when there. Normally train from Euston, but I will drive. It will be interesting to see the differences.

Commercially, I see that Shearings coach holidays has gone under today. They also had some other longstanding brands in the group, like Wallace Arnold, and National holiday part that was once part of National Express. They also kept in business many older/traditional secondary hotels, who will struggle even more now, or more likely be demolished and have flats built on the site.
My parents have been on a lot of Shearings holidays over the past 20 years or so pretty much throughout Great Britain. As I understand it, as a brand, Wallace Arnold was absorbed into Shearings within the group. I think, sadly, that you will be right about the hotels, while it was possible to stay at the hotels without being on a coach holiday that surely was the vast majority of their business. I did once stay in a Shearings hotel in Exmouth myself, when my parents and I were all involved in a sporting event nearby and it was convenient and affordable.
fras

Post by fras »

On Wednesday we made our annual trip to visit and tend to my late brother's grave just outside Hereford. Traffic was much lighter than normal on the A49 although there is still the usual HGV and van traffic. What I found most shocking was the appalling driving of vans, as if the drivers considered themselves immortal and safe from all harm no matter haw reckless they were. Or maybe it's because I'm getting older and driving more slowly !!
Fenlander

Post by Fenlander »

RichardA35 wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 22:10
Interestingly, since social distancing came in our site accommodation has been under pressure and visitors or "travellers" have been banned from site. Swathes of our firms's management have been forced to stay at home and it has opened their eyes to a new way of working. Meetings held over video conference are more efficient as there is less time wasting behaviour. They are reporting less fatigue as time wasted on driving between sites is substantially down. The challenge is to make the change permanent.
My sister is working from home during this (she’s been wanting to work from home for ages but work have always resisted) and getting far more done than if she was in the office. The international stuff in particular, before she’d send a message to someone and act on their response the next day, now she can do half an hour’s work at night and have a proper conversation with that person. That half hour has come out of her daytime hours where she is using that time instead for her use. Her company is supposed to be moving into a different set of premises soon and that process is now being looked at as they can reduce the size of premises they need by allowing more home working.
Alderpoint

Post by Alderpoint »

Fenlander wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 10:10 ]My sister is working from home during this (she’s been wanting to work from home for ages but work have always resisted) and getting far more done than if she was in the office. The international stuff in particular, before she’d send a message to someone and act on their response the next day, now she can do half an hour’s work at night and have a proper conversation with that person. That half hour has come out of her daytime hours where she is using that time instead for her use. Her company is supposed to be moving into a different set of premises soon and that process is now being looked at as they can reduce the size of premises they need by allowing more home working.
My wife's been working from home for over 10 years. A few years ago she got TUPE'd into one of the big UK outsourcing companies, and they didn't realise she worked from home: "we don't do that" was the response - but there was no way we were moving from the Midlands to near Gatwick, and they didn't want to pay redundancy so she continued to work from home - albeit always with complaints from her managers that she was only very rarely in the office.

But now the whole office is working from home, suddenly they've realised it's a good idea and very productive. So much so that they are going to close that office and everyone will work from home permanently (or if they don't commute to another office 30 miles away).
Let it snow.
Debaser

Post by Debaser »

TBH, before COVID I'd historically resisted the opportunity of working from home, even when it had been suggested to me by senior colleagues who did, to the extent it was only about 6 months ago I went over from a desktop to a laptop. Now, having worked from home since abouth the 18th March, I have no idea why.

Other than not having access to my library of textbooks (albeit I have a lot of information I need on a portable hard drive), the only other downside of not being in the office is missing the transfer of ideas you get working in a design office from the chance overhearing of conversations, or chatting at the tea station. Aside from that I'm just as - if not more - productive as I was in the office; there are none of those 'can you just' requests that take your concentration away from what you were doing, and interruptions by telephone calls (i.e. Teams or Skype) are about things that actually matter to the progress of a project. (Plus we still have regular team meetings to catch up with each other and talk nonsense, just done via Teams).

Whenever life approaches normal (and for office work that may be some time) I can see I'll only be going in to the office for major meetings with Clients or as an excuse to give the car a run.
Piatkow

Post by Piatkow »

Fenlander wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 10:10 My sister is working from home during this (she’s been wanting to work from home for ages but work have always resisted) and getting far more done than if she was in the office. The international stuff in particular, before she’d send a message to someone and act on their response the next day, now she can do half an hour’s work at night and have a proper conversation with that person. That half hour has come out of her daytime hours where she is using that time instead for her use. Her company is supposed to be moving into a different set of premises soon and that process is now being looked at as they can reduce the size of premises they need by allowing more home working.
Fine if you really can timeshift like that. One company I worked for expected full 9 to 5 plus out of hours availability.
GeekyJames

Post by GeekyJames »

Southampton City Council have launched a "Green Transport recovery plan"

Key points

Pop-up cycle lanes installed on Bassett Avenue and The Avenue (A33) - Changing the S4 section into a cycle lane in each direction.

Permanent cycle schemes rolled out – Bitterne Road West (A3024) D2 section- permanently turning 1 lane into a bus / cylce lane.

New Road-Civic Centre Road - Buses / Bikes only

Millbrook Road West Bus Lane (From Millbrook Roundabout to Paynes Road junction)

Surely any permanent changes to the road layout should be going through a consultation process? This does appear to be a "land grab"

https://transport.southampton.gov.uk/me ... -draft.pdf
Debaser

Post by Debaser »

GeekyJames wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 16:34
Surely any permanent changes to the road layout should be going through a consultation process? This does appear to be a "land grab"

https://transport.southampton.gov.uk/me ... -draft.pdf
Space, all of it owned by - or the responsibility of - the Local Highway Authority, is being reallocated from one lot of road users to another - hardly a 'land grab'; and it's all at the direction of the government.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... o-covid-19
WHBM

Post by WHBM »

Debaser wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 18:37Space, all of it owned by - or the responsibility of - the Local Highway Authority, is being reallocated from one lot of road users to another
No, it's being used by politicians to make a bizarre point of view.

Here in London we have had a wide array of expensive bike schemes installed for some years now. For the VAST majority of the time there is not a bike to be seen in them, while all the other road users are squashed into half the available space.
traffic-light-man

Post by traffic-light-man »

I hope this is the right thread to post this to, if not, mods please do move it as appropriate.

Liverpool has released plans for 'pop-up' cycle lanes of late, and I had the fortune of stumbling across one yesterday evening.

It is quite interesting, miles of roadworks barrier, paint and strange signs. I've attached a few photos to give an overall view, if anyones interested in the rest of the photos, drop me a message and I'll happily make them available.
Attachments
pop-up1.jpg
pop-up2.jpg
pop-up3.jpg
Simon
Big Nick

Post by Big Nick »

Direct Line are offering refunds on existing car insurance policies for those who have driven a lot less during lockdown. If you have a policy with them go to their website and apply.
https://www.directline.com/lockdown-car ... ce-refunds

Other insurers are probably doing the same. I know my mileage has dropped sharply these last 10 weeks so maybe I'll get something out of it.
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

Big Nick wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 23:26 Direct Line are offering refunds on existing car insurance policies for those who have driven a lot less during lockdown. If you have a policy with them go to their website and apply.
https://www.directline.com/lockdown-car ... ce-refunds

Other insurers are probably doing the same. I know my mileage has dropped sharply these last 10 weeks so maybe I'll get something out of it.
I already got one from Admiral.