Which road do you most want to drive after the lock-down?

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

mikehindsonevans

Re: Which road do you most want to drive after the lock-down?

Post by mikehindsonevans »

One without potholes!
Mike Hindson-Evans.
Never argue with a conspiracy theorist.
They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
B4444

Post by B4444 »

A complete circuit of the M25, for no reason whatsoever
I do believe in the late 1980s, that it used to be feasible to do it in less than an hour, including stopping to pay the Dartford Toll. See Wiki.
haymansafc

Post by haymansafc »

B4444 wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 16:13 A complete circuit of the M25, for no reason whatsoever
I do believe in the late 1980s, that it used to be feasible to do it in less than an hour, including stopping to pay the Dartford Toll. See Wiki.
I recall a show which aired sometimes towards the end of the 90's, where it featured a man who planned on spending 25 hours driving around the M25, once a year, every year for 25 years. I've got a feeling it might have been a special edition of 'Police, Camera Action' or something similar.

This was when I was in my early teens and I recall really wanting to do something like this when I finally got my driving licence.

I'll be interested to hear if anyone else can recall this show or feature. A quick Google-search suggests this may be someone who goes by the nickname of 'Gimpo'.

Anyway, something similar could very well be on the cards for me if we end up severely limited with regards to our driving activities for too long...
The journey is never over until the arrival.
Chris56000

Post by Chris56000 »

Hi!

Anywhere where my pocket–money permits!

I'm temporarily off–road awaiting laser–surgery for "post cataracts capsular opacification" on my eyes but as soon as that's done I can't wait for the rotten "lockdown" to be lifted so I can have another excursion somewhere, anywhere!

Chris Williams
HughMann

Post by HughMann »

roadtester wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 13:48 At the risk of thread proliferation, I thought it would be worth having something for this subject - after all we are supposed to be all about roads!

Which road do members most dream of driving or experiencing in some other way once the lock-down has ended?

The first one that comes to mind for me is the A696/A68 route that forms an alternative to the A1 between the North East and Edinburgh - wonderful driving country with sweeping bends and often it isn't too busy. Hopefully not too many other people will have the same idea once we are all let out again.

I'd get there by following my favourite B-roads up through Lincolnshire, East Yorks and North Yorks, taking in the Humber Bridge along the way.
As I am currently spending lockdown in the Scottish Borders right next to the A68, this will be the first road I do drive after lockdown is lifted, to get me back south to my normal home/work! Like absolutely no roads you will ever experience in the southeast of England.
Bertiebus

Post by Bertiebus »

roadtester wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 13:48The first one that comes to mind for me is the A696/A68 route that forms an alternative to the A1 between the North East and Edinburgh - wonderful driving country with sweeping bends and often it isn't too busy.
:shock: It's crap between Carter Bar and a bit north of Earlston. Loads of bends, brows of hills and all those speed cameras. Not to mention lorries, buses and agricultural vehicles.
HughMann wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 17:16As I am currently spending lockdown in the Scottish Borders right next to the A68, this will be the first road I do drive after lockdown is lifted, to get me back south to my normal home/work!
You have my sympathy. A close second to being stuck in the Scottish Borders next to the A698.
Raggit_Rich

Post by Raggit_Rich »

My fav road in East Sussex again (Hadlow Down to Hurst Green/Etchingham) - be it in the car/on the motorbike. It's the A272, A267, A265.

I'm going to do a day of driving the B-roads/small A-roads in rural Sussex, then book a weekend with my tent & enjoy being able to go somewhere by road! :D
Bfivethousand

Post by Bfivethousand »

I haven't missed driving one iota over the past couple of weeks so I'm not sure I'm going to be driving off anywhere on the same day everyone else gets the opportunity to! In time, maybe the north Pennines? Somewhere I haven't been before.

Anyone who does have a drive out in mind might want to consider filling their tanks up now, the local supermarkets are charging 102p for unleaded right now.
16 Sodium atoms walk into a bar
followed immediately by Batman
the cheesecake man

Post by the cheesecake man »

The one to work.
FosseWay
Assistant Site Manager

Post by FosseWay »

The E45 - I live about halfway along it, so could choose to go to Karesuando or Sicily.
Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
Helvellyn

Post by Helvellyn »

HughMann wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 17:16
roadtester wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 13:48 At the risk of thread proliferation, I thought it would be worth having something for this subject - after all we are supposed to be all about roads!

Which road do members most dream of driving or experiencing in some other way once the lock-down has ended?

The first one that comes to mind for me is the A696/A68 route that forms an alternative to the A1 between the North East and Edinburgh - wonderful driving country with sweeping bends and often it isn't too busy. Hopefully not too many other people will have the same idea once we are all let out again.

I'd get there by following my favourite B-roads up through Lincolnshire, East Yorks and North Yorks, taking in the Humber Bridge along the way.
As I am currently spending lockdown in the Scottish Borders right next to the A68, this will be the first road I do drive after lockdown is lifted, to get me back south to my normal home/work! Like absolutely no roads you will ever experience in the southeast of England.
A couple of years ago I stuck "no motorways" into the satnav to see where it would take me to get up to Edinburgh, just out of curiosity. Over to the A1 (the built-in satnav is a bit out of date there!) then up the A68 all the way. Great drive, loved it, that's what long distance road travel should be like! Over 100 miles of generally fairly quiet S2 in generally remote surroundings, what's not to like?
AndyB
Elected Committee Member

Post by AndyB »

The M1 to Dublin.
roadtester

Post by roadtester »

My craving to go for a long drive is just growing and growing as the lock-down proceeds.

My plan at the moment is to satisfy this craving as soon as the restrictions are lifted by getting up at about 4am - I'm hoping this will happen in mid-summer so there is early daylight - and just driving and driving non-stop for hours until the roads start to fill up.

The, when I've done the roads I mentioned up-thread, I fancy a long continental trip to really blow away the cobwebs. Expecting the ferries to be expensive/full, though!
Electrophorus Electricus

Check out #davidsdailycar on Mastodon
Ruperts Trooper

Post by Ruperts Trooper »

A686 Penrith - Haydon Bridge

As soon as we get the all clear for over-70s, our plan is to set out early up the M6, spend the morning at RSPB Leighton Moss near Carnforth and then the afternoon crossing the Pennines on the A686, and spending a few days in Northumberland for bird-watching and scenic drives into the Cheviots - hopefully including the Kielder Forest Drive if that reopens.

Then back home to get the caravan ready for a Highland trip, not sure where yet though.
Lifelong motorhead
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

Helvellyn wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:26 A couple of years ago I stuck "no motorways" into the satnav to see where it would take me to get up to Edinburgh, just out of curiosity. Over to the A1 (the built-in satnav is a bit out of date there!) then up the A68 all the way. Great drive, loved it, that's what long distance road travel should be like! Over 100 miles of generally fairly quiet S2 in generally remote surroundings, what's not to like?
Carter Bar in winter :)

That said the A696/A68 is my normal route of choice to Edinburgh
Big Nick

Post by Big Nick »

I'm thinking of a nice long run out to the coast along the A12, finding a nice pub by the sea and enjoying local fresh fish and chips.
Up to Great Yarmouth and back home via the A11-M11.
Ben302

Post by Ben302 »

Arcuarius wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 15:14 The PENIS 287 but it's a bit far from Nottinghamshire :lol:
I might try that one - got a few road trips planned once this is over