Road teaser!

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

roadtester

Road teaser!

Post by roadtester »

The motoring journalist Alex Grant, whom I know quite well has tweeted out a picture of a busy section of motorway from a 1980s kids’ book and wonders whether we can identify it:

https://twitter.com/alexgrantuk/status/ ... 7820861441

Anyone hazard a guess?
Electrophorus Electricus

Check out #davidsdailycar on Mastodon
Owain
Elected Committee Member

Re: Road teaser!

Post by Owain »

roadtester wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 15:24Anyone hazard a guess?
Is it part of the M25?

I'm hazarding that guess because of the concrete surface and the traffic volume! And it looks quite new.
Former President & F99 Driver

Viva la Repubblica!
roadtester

Post by roadtester »

Owain wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 15:29
roadtester wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 15:24Anyone hazard a guess?
Is it part of the M25?

I'm hazarding that guess because of the concrete surface and the traffic volume! And it looks quite new.
That was my first guess too, and for the same reasons. Also, it would have been topical because the final bit opening would have been recent at the time of the publication of the book (late eighties). I couldn't begin to tie it down more closely, though.

Those bridge pillars must be a clue for someone?
Electrophorus Electricus

Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

I'm struggling to find the location. The bridge pillars are really tall, not the usual height. Two bridges together would likely mean it's a junction but I can't anything that matches the SW corner of the M25.

The cars are a different story. I grew up with cars of this vintage and I can recognise most of them :)
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
roadtester

Post by roadtester »

Truvelo wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 15:41 I'm struggling to find the location. The bridge pillars are really tall, not the usual height. Two bridges together would likely mean it's a junction but I can't anything that matches the SW corner of the M25.

The cars are a different story. I grew up with cars of this vintage and I can recognise most of them :)
If you can't get it, it must be a really difficult one!
Electrophorus Electricus

Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

roadtester wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 15:44
Truvelo wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 15:41 I'm struggling to find the location. The bridge pillars are really tall, not the usual height. Two bridges together would likely mean it's a junction but I can't anything that matches the SW corner of the M25.

Does your car expertise extend to old style numberplates? The three letters signify the area the vehicle was first registered. All I know is O in the middle and those with EA were from Birmingham.
Big and complex.
roadtester

Post by roadtester »

Truvelo wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 15:47
roadtester wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 15:44

Does your car expertise extend to old style numberplates? The three letters signify the area the vehicle was first registered. All I know is O in the middle and those with EA were from Birmingham.
Interesting point - that could help narrow it down a bit. I'll take another look.
Electrophorus Electricus

JohnnyMo

Post by JohnnyMo »

Yes my thought exactly, also looking for the point where the photo was taken. Footbridge or other road close to the junction
“The simple step of a courageous individual is not to take part in the lie" - Aleksandr I. Solzhenitsyn
Johnny Mo
nowster
Treasurer

Post by nowster »

Well worn concrete surface?
Glen
Social Media Admin

Post by Glen »

From the registrations I could make out there are: 8 London, and one of Swindon, Guildford, Gloucester, Luton, Truro and Worcester.
B1040

Post by B1040 »

Lane 1 seems quite unpopular.
So does the 2 second rule unless they're going really slowly.
roadtester

Post by roadtester »

Glen wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 16:10 From the registrations I could make out there are: 8 London, and one of Swindon, Guildford, Gloucester, Luton, Truro and Worcester.
I think that mix tends to strengthen the idea that it's the M25.
Electrophorus Electricus

JohnnyMo

Post by JohnnyMo »

Truvelo wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 15:47
The newest plate I can read is C 7? BUC UC is London. Also the car next to it is ALT 42? S is London NW so London area would be a good guess

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_r ... 83_to_2001
“The simple step of a courageous individual is not to take part in the lie" - Aleksandr I. Solzhenitsyn
Johnny Mo
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

I may have found it. Assuming it is the M25 and the only reasonable length of concrete section is the SW corner the photo could have been taken from here. There are two bridges in the distance and the pillars have the same profile as those in the photo.

https://goo.gl/maps/4bzgU7hkrTQkM4Fc9
Big and complex.
roadtester

Post by roadtester »

That does seem very likely - obvs with widening and lighting added since the original photo.

Anyone else think that's it?
Electrophorus Electricus

JohnnyMo

Post by JohnnyMo »

Having the two photo's over 30 year apart shows how much grime there is. The bridge supports have gone from white to dark grey.
Johnny Mo
trickstat

Post by trickstat »

B1040 wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 16:12 Lane 1 seems quite unpopular.
So does the 2 second rule unless they're going really slowly.
For me, that says M25 all over. I started driving in the late 80s and the poor lane discipline that seemed largely unique to the M25 then has since spread to other motorways. I tended to think it was an M25 thing because people were particularly scared of accidentally leaving the motorway and ending up in an unfamiliar London suburb.
roadtester

Post by roadtester »

I've now posted Truvelo's suggestion as our best guess (with an appropriate credit of course!) - if anyone has any other info, more than happy to pass that on as well.
Electrophorus Electricus

roadtester

Post by roadtester »

Alex has now thanked us for our answer - one satisfied customer:

https://twitter.com/alexgrantuk/status/ ... 7151380484

Thanks to all who chipped in - especially Truvelo.
Electrophorus Electricus