Graffiti on Motorway Overbridges

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

StockburyRoundabout

Graffiti on Motorway Overbridges

Post by StockburyRoundabout »

The graffiti on the Denham Viaduct over the M25 reading "Give Helch a Chance" has been replaced with an NHS thank you message for all the work they have been doing during the Coronavirus outbreak.
The BBC reports it on their website: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-b ... s-52089188
How many cases of this type of graffiti is present throughout the network. I know of one other on an overbridge on the M3 near Thorpe Interchange reading Helch: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.39832 ... 312!8i6656
Now with added Grade Separation!
Klepsydra

Re: Graffiti on Motorway Overbridges

Post by Klepsydra »

A lot of bridges on the M1 between about Luton and Northampton have been embellished with various pro-Corbyn and anti-Johnson slogans, presumably from December.
"I went to a planet without bilateral symmetry and all I got was this lousy F-shirt."
jervi

Post by jervi »

That's pretty cool.
I normally hate graffiti, however the occasional half decent looking ones on some structure I quite like. I quite like Denham Viaduct as it seems to change every few months. Even if it is just another Helch. Also the "Flat Earth" ones on the A1 always cheer me up.
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

This is already being discussed in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=39113&p=1111183
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
roadtester

Post by roadtester »

c2R wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 08:45 This is already being discussed in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=39113&p=1111183
Also in the coronavirus thread!

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=41033&p=1111236&hi ... e#p1111236

I must say, the old graffiti always really annoyed me so while no graffiti at all would be best, an embellishment expressing appreciation for NHS staff is a big improvement on what went before.
Electrophorus Electricus

Check out #davidsdailycar on Mastodon
Micro The Maniac

Post by Micro The Maniac »

It even has it's own Facebook Group

https://www.facebook.com/givepeasachance/
ScottB5411

Post by ScottB5411 »

There was a Give Peas a Chance on a fence at the side of the M40 heading towards London just before the M25 for years
How about some more beans Mr. Taggart?
Johnathan404

Post by Johnathan404 »

This must put Highways England in an awkward position, because they can't condone vandalism of their structures, but they can't be seen to disagree with the message.
I have websites about: motorway services | Fareham
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

Johnathan404 wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 08:56 This must put Highways England in an awkward position, because they can't condone vandalism of their structures, but they can't be seen to disagree with the message.
I think it's actually a railway bridge, and therefore the business of Network Rail.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
Johnathan404

Post by Johnathan404 »

Chris Bertram wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 09:04
Johnathan404 wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 08:56 This must put Highways England in an awkward position, because they can't condone vandalism of their structures, but they can't be seen to disagree with the message.
I think it's actually a railway bridge, and therefore the business of Network Rail.
Fair enough that "vandalism of their structure" was the wrong phrase, but that absolutely doesn't change the point that Highways England can't be seen to condone the idea of graffiti artists targeting motorway traffic.

Network Rail are, of course, well-versed in complaining about graffiti artists.
I have websites about: motorway services | Fareham