Highways England - Archive

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

A303Chris

Highways England - Archive

Post by A303Chris »

High all.

This is work related, but does anyone know of a Highways England archive of old schemes which have been completed and open.

I am trying to find details of the M4 junction 8/9 slip road widening which was done about 5 to 6 years ago and can not find anything on the website.

Surely they must have to keep details of old and completed schemes.

Cheers All

Chris
The M25 - The road to nowhere
the cheesecake man

Re: Highways England - Archive

Post by the cheesecake man »

Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

A303Chris wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 13:53 High all.

This is work related, but does anyone know of a Highways England archive of old schemes which have been completed and open.

I am trying to find details of the M4 junction 8/9 slip road widening which was done about 5 to 6 years ago and can not find anything on the website.

Surely they must have to keep details of old and completed schemes.

Cheers All

Chris
Short of the National Archives online mirror, no. They're atrocious at record keeping.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

That's where our wiki could come in handy - I try and put as much information on as I can, but can't keep on top of ensuring that all schemes are added and kept up to date, and that we have copies of all scheme documentation that is released - we could do with more archivologists to help with this. Unfortunately, this isn't one where we have any detail about the scheme: Holyport_Interchange

Also, there's the roads.org.uk scheme pages which may have some details on.

You might find stuff on archive.org.uk, although this can be difficult unless you know the original URL and they've allowed it to crawl the site....
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps

From the SABRE Wiki: Holyport Interchange :

Holyport Interchange is Junction 8/9 of the M4.

It is a simple roundabout interchange with the A404(M) (the rump part of the Maidenhead Bypass) and the A308(M) (a link to the A308) both terminating here. It opened on 22 December 1971.

This junction is unique as it is the only one in the UK to have two numbers, 8/9. This is because when it was built, the original junction 8 with the A308 was removed as the distance between the

... Read More
jervi

Post by jervi »

If it is that recent, you can probably put in a FOI to get it.
I'd imagine all of that stuff relating to projects within the last decade are still on their systems.
However, I'd wait until COVID clears before putting unnecessary stress on to workers at HE
Johnathan404

Post by Johnathan404 »

Google Earth shows that neither of the M4 exit sliproads at 8/9 have been widened since around 2006. The roundabout itself was actually narrowed in around 2009. Street View goes back to 2008 and confirms there has been no carriageway widening.

Are you searching for the right project?

Junction 10 had widening works in 2015, for instance.
I have websites about: motorway services | Fareham
hoagy_ytfc

Post by hoagy_ytfc »

8/9 def had widening on the slips. I’m not sure I recall the actual roundabout being widened.

In google earth compare the westbound off slip between 2004 and 2008
hoagy_ytfc

Post by hoagy_ytfc »

PS that timescale ties in with the recollection that I was going through the roadworks most days, as it would have been when I was working for Opta.
jackal

Post by jackal »

hoagy_ytfc wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 17:17 8/9 def had widening on the slips. I’m not sure I recall the actual roundabout being widened.

In google earth compare the westbound off slip between 2004 and 2008
And the eastbound off slip. Both were widened to three lanes between 12/31/04 and 10/08/08 as per GE.