Local Scheme: New River/Essex Road Bridge Replacement (Hoddesdon, Herts)

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Local Scheme: New River/Essex Road Bridge Replacement (Hoddesdon, Herts)

Post by c2R »

Scheme Page: https://www.hertfordshire.gov.uk/servic ... esdon.aspx#

Hertfordshire County Council are going to be realigning the western stretch of Essex Road in Hoddesdon, which will include a new, wider bridge over the New River, including better NMU access. It will plug in to the existing Dinant Link Road/A1170 Roundabout, and improve access to the industrial areas.
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
Truvelo

Re: Local Scheme: New River/Essex Road Bridge Replacement (Hoddesdon, Herts)

Post by Truvelo »

So a tiny bit more of Ringway 4 will get built :)

Seriously though, I can see a tin shed go up between the new road and Essex Road, possibly Lidl or B&M.
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

I can't say that another tin shed would make much of a difference there ;) But yes, I'm pleased that a more suitable bridge will be being constructed with better NMU provision - hopefully at some point there will be further road improvements between the new bridge and the railway bridge as well.
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
Big Nick

Post by Big Nick »

Truvelo wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:23 So a tiny bit more of Ringway 4 will get built :)

Seriously though, I can see a tin shed go up between the new road and Essex Road, possibly Lidl or B&M.
This will be an improvement that should have happened years ago when they put in the new railway bridge. It makes me nervous to approach that old narrow bridge and have a large truck coming very close at you.
Keeping the old bridge for pedestrian and cycle use is a good idea.

That space is more the size of a drive-thru like McDonalds or KFC. Don't forget there will be a pond there too. https://www.hertfordshire.gov.uk/media- ... te-map.pdf
Last edited by Big Nick on Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:48, edited 1 time in total.
ravenbluemoon
Elected Committee Member

Post by ravenbluemoon »

Truvelo wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:23 So a tiny bit more of Ringway 4 will get built :)
Nice to think I've been involved in the Ringways scheme... kind of! Did the original topo survey works a few years back (around the same time as the A120 at Little Hadham), so it is good to see progress. That bridge is pretty dangerous, and the only way into that industrial estate for HGVs.
Tony Alice (they,them)
~~~~~
Owner of a classic rust heap/money pit, and other unremarkable older vehicles.
Usually found with a head in an old map or road atlas.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Ask me if you want to get involved!