The first bypass?

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Dadge

The first bypass?

Post by Dadge »

What was Britain's first bypass? ie. a road built to take through traffic away from an older section of highway. Looking at old (Victorian) maps you can see quite a lot of examples. I'm not sure if I'd count Roman roads in the category of "bypass" but I'll exclude them from this enquiry.

(If this question has been dealt with before please point me in the direction of the info. Thanks.)
bothar

Re: The first bypass?

Post by bothar »

Dadge wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 14:08 What was Britain's first bypass? ie. a road built to take through traffic away from an older section of highway. Looking at old (Victorian) maps you can see quite a lot of examples. I'm not sure if I'd count Roman roads in the category of "bypass" but I'll exclude them from this enquiry.

(If this question has been dealt with before please point me in the direction of the info. Thanks.)
This is a "how long is a piece of string" question. Roads (of some sort) existed for thousands of years and anytime someone changed the route then it was a "bypass". For instance, a lot of 19th century roads were rerouted to avoid hills.
"I intend to always travel a different road"
Ibn Battuta 1304-1368
JohnnyMo

Post by JohnnyMo »

I expect the answer would be one of the turnpikes however you may want to look at this thread
“The simple step of a courageous individual is not to take part in the lie" - Aleksandr I. Solzhenitsyn
Johnny Mo
Johnathan404

Post by Johnathan404 »

Are we looking for a road which has bypassed a settlement and/or a bottleneck, rather than any time a corner has been cut?

What could also be interesting, if not more suited to another thread, is finding the oldest route to have had "Bypass" and similar phrases in its name.
I have websites about: motorway services | Fareham
Piatkow

Post by Piatkow »

One that I couldn't find on the other thread is Euston Road in London which was built to keep livestock being driven to Smithfield out of the fashionable parts of the West End. It was on the edge of open country when it was built.
RichardA626

Post by RichardA626 »

Wellington Road in Stockport bypassed the traditional London - Carlisle route through the town centre, especially the section along Hillgate & Underbank to the south, and Lancashire Hill to the North.
Beware of the trickster on the roof
Dadge

Post by Dadge »

JohnnyMo wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 15:47 I expect the answer would be one of the turnpikes however you may want to look at this thread
Thanks. There are two 19th century bypasses mentioned in that thread: Corfe Mullen and Thurstaston. I know that Sabristi are mainly interested in the motor-car era but I wonder if some of you are bored enough in lockdown to want to investigate turnpikes...

My interest was piqued when I was looking at the 1854 map of Marsden, Yorkshire, and saw it already had two bypasses. These we built during the development of the Wakefield & Austerlands Trust turnpike, a road that must have been as impressive in its day as the M6 is in ours.

https://maps.nls.uk/view/102345088
https://huddersfield.exposed/wiki/Wakef ... npike_Road
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

New Road, Willenhall, Staffordshire. The first bypass of the town centre (of three), circa 1820.

The original route through the town centre was via Wolverhampton Street and Doctor's Piece (yes, really), but it was apparently considered to be "too narrow".
Steven
Motorway Historian

Founder Member, SABRE ex-Presidents' Corner

Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!

From the SABRE Wiki: Willenhall :

Willenhall is a small Black Country town in Staffordshire to the east of Wolverhampton, historically and functionally part of the city; it is not administered by Wolverhampton Council solely in order to make that authority area smaller - and hence it is mostly administered by [[Walsall

... Read More