Britain's Most Dangerous Crossroads - Tom Scott

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Gareth Thomas

Re: Britain's Most Dangerous Crossroads - Tom Scott

Post by Gareth Thomas »

When I first saw this video, my first thoughts were that the priority was wrong. I thought it was the A326 that had to stop for a minor road, because of this sign. Note the lack of brackets on "A326". So I thought, "the priority needs changing for a start".

Upon looking the junction up on Google Maps and realising the roads are all unclassified, and the sign is wrong, I calmed down a bit. :-P

Staggering does seem to be the easiest and most logical solution, and if this junction were anywhere else I suspect that's what would happen - but as mentioned in the video, the New Forest Verderers will most likely block any attempt to do anything whatsoever. Sometimes I'm amazed the A31 still isn't a country track.....
My journey with testicular cancer!
https://garethishalfnuts.wordpress.com/

"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads..."
-Dr Emmett Brown
James

Most dangerous crossroads?

Post by James »

I was suggested this video for the most dangerous crossroads
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYeeTvitvFU

I think its likely an overreaction, however was interesting to see how such subtle geometry can change the appearance and safety of a junction

If there is the issue here, as others have suggested then reducing visability (with a fence or other similar object) would probably fix a lot of the problems here. Strange to see they managed to get Stop signs installed on such a location as it is!
Stevie D

Re: Most dangerous crossroads?

Post by Stevie D »

James wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 19:35 I was suggested this video for the most dangerous crossroads
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYeeTvitvFU

I think its likely an overreaction, however was interesting to see how such subtle geometry can change the appearance and safety of a junction

If there is the issue here, as others have suggested then reducing visability (with a fence or other similar object) would probably fix a lot of the problems here. Strange to see they managed to get Stop signs installed on such a location as it is!
We've already got a thread on this here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=41363
James

Re: Most dangerous crossroads?

Post by James »

Stevie D wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 19:57
We've already got a thread on this here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=41363
Sorry missed that one!
Arcuarius

Post by Arcuarius »

ScottyW wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 00:19Nope. You've judged someone you don't know on one video.

He's done lectures for the Royal Institute - e.g. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leX541Dr2rU

He also has a group of friends he does fun (and unique) gameshows with on Youtube.
Ah, a man of culture, I see. Another TechDif fan here :D

But yes, YouTube is Tom's full time job and he's done amazingly well to get where he is now. A quick search on his channel will show that.
"Accuse the other side of that which you are guilty."
- some extreme-right nutcase

1973-2007 Never forgotten
ScottyW

Post by ScottyW »

Arcuarius wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 09:36 Ah, a man of culture, I see. Another TechDif fan here :D
Mystery biscuits!
jervi

Post by jervi »

Looks like work to realign Ipley cross crossroads to a staggered junction ready to being.
Cycled past it 10 days ago and there is fencing up over the new alignment of the road to keep the animals off of it.
https://www.hants.gov.uk/transport/tran ... crossroads
According to the website, main works are starting "early September" and should take 6 weeks to complete. Although one.network is saying 27th September - 5 November.
Al__S

Post by Al__S »

jervi wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 13:03 Looks like work to realign Ipley cross crossroads to a staggered junction ready to being.
Cycled past it 10 days ago and there is fencing up over the new alignment of the road to keep the animals off of it.
https://www.hants.gov.uk/transport/tran ... crossroads
According to the website, main works are starting "early September" and should take 6 weeks to complete. Although one.network is saying 27th September - 5 November.
Looking up the planning application, there were two objections, both clearly from experts One makes a claim that he uses the junction "several times a day" which seems unlikely?
danfw194

Post by danfw194 »

JammyDodge wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 22:05
Keiji wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 21:43
bart wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 21:24 There's a STOP sign. Put a couple of speed bumps on the approach to make sure approaching cars have to reduce their speed.
Tom says in the video that it's not legal to install speed bumps on a road that doesn't have street lighting.

To me, the best solution would appear to be a roundabout. Like any roundabout, it'd force all traffic to slow down at the junction and look for conflicting traffic. I've not seen this idea mentioned so far.
While a roundabout would be desirable, it is not practical in reality. It would cost too much and take up more land than simply staggering the junction. He mentioned that just staggering the junction would cost £100,000.
Out of interest do you have any idea on the cost of a roundabout? I genuinely don't, but would be curious to know. I guess it's difficult to say because ultimately roundabouts can come in many different sizes and forms. My first thought with any kind of crossroads with space around it like this is 'roundabout', but staggering should do the trick I guess.
Stevie D

Post by Stevie D »

danfw194 wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 14:00Out of interest do you have any idea on the cost of a roundabout? I genuinely don't, but would be curious to know. I guess it's difficult to say because ultimately roundabouts can come in many different sizes and forms. My first thought with any kind of crossroads with space around it like this is 'roundabout', but staggering should do the trick I guess.
I think the vertical alignment is the main thing that steers this junction away from a roundabout – it's on quite a slope, which is far from ideal for a roundabout, either from a construction or safety point of view.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Stevie D wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 16:13
danfw194 wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 14:00Out of interest do you have any idea on the cost of a roundabout? I genuinely don't, but would be curious to know. I guess it's difficult to say because ultimately roundabouts can come in many different sizes and forms. My first thought with any kind of crossroads with space around it like this is 'roundabout', but staggering should do the trick I guess.
I think the vertical alignment is the main thing that steers this junction away from a roundabout – it's on quite a slope, which is far from ideal for a roundabout, either from a construction or safety point of view.
Most likely this - you do not want a roundabout on a hill as the camber goes bonkers and try draining it...

Staggering or closing an arm to traffic is the most practical fix really.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
Owain
Elected Committee Member

Post by Owain »

Bryn666 wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 17:40
Stevie D wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 16:13I think the vertical alignment is the main thing that steers this junction away from a roundabout – it's on quite a slope, which is far from ideal for a roundabout, either from a construction or safety point of view.
Most likely this - you do not want a roundabout on a hill as the camber goes bonkers and try draining it...
This one's a shocker!
Former President & F99 Driver

Viva la Repubblica!
JammyDodge

Post by JammyDodge »

Owain wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 17:51
Stevie D wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 16:13I think the vertical alignment is the main thing that steers this junction away from a roundabout – it's on quite a slope, which is far from ideal for a roundabout, either from a construction or safety point of view.
This one's a shocker!
I think this is worse, especially for hgvs
Designing Tomorrow, Around the Past
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

Nobody mentioned this one yet!?

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.96471 ... 384!8i8192

It also used to be notable for having a signed C road.
Owain
Elected Committee Member

Post by Owain »

Looks like we need a thread called "Wonky Roundabouts".

Viva la Repubblica!
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

This one's a shocker!
Now that you're in Leeds I expected your link to take me here! GSV makes it look less dippy than it really is.
FosseWay
Assistant Site Manager

Post by FosseWay »

This one on the A61 in Chesterfield has always struck me as a bit extreme, especially for a multilane roundabout with dual carriageway entrance/exit, and especially when I was driving my dad's Renault 4, trying to enter the roundabout from the lowest entry point.
Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
the cheesecake man

Post by the cheesecake man »

FosseWay wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:14 This one on the A61 in Chesterfield has always struck me as a bit extreme, especially for a multilane roundabout with dual carriageway entrance/exit, and especially when I was driving my dad's Renault 4, trying to enter the roundabout from the lowest entry point.
I've always hated that roundabout too and never really understood why.
Owain
Elected Committee Member

Post by Owain »

Chris5156 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 09:46
This one's a shocker!
Now that you're in Leeds I expected your link to take me here! GSV makes it look less dippy than it really is.
I live on the western side of the city, so I rarely drive around there. I have done it, though, and not really noticed the incline.

Considering the example that JammyDodge posted above, which is quite similar to my Northern Irish example, I'm guessing that the size of the thing makes quite a difference to how it is perceived.

Viva la Repubblica!
jonnyf90

Post by jonnyf90 »

wrinkly wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 18:30 Nobody mentioned this one yet!?

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.96471 ... 384!8i8192

It also used to be notable for having a signed C road.
I'll see your roundabout and I'll raise you a 2-tier roundabout/gyratory on the Isle of Wight:

https://goo.gl/maps/TqfWSywPKpFQs7rB9

Cheers
Una vida, bien vivida.
Veni, vidi, vici.