Roads with 4 (or more) words in their names

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

jervi

Re: Roads with 4 (or more) words in their names

Post by jervi »

trickstat

Post by trickstat »

Scratchwood wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 12:19
Gareth Thomas wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 23:10 In Ashford, Kent, there is a four word name ("Sir John Killick Way") that meets a five word name ("Laurens van der Post Way"). And that in turn meets another four word name ("Sir Henry Brackenberry Road").

The map of all three of them is here.
Slightly off topic, but why does Ashford have an estate named after people, who although eminent, seem to have no obvious local collection, and aren't nationally famous either!
I googled some of the names and it seems like these roads are named after people noted for their military service. I've heard of van der Post who was also an author, philosopher, explorer and spiritual adviser to Prince Charles. Killick was later an ambassador and one of the others was an SOE agent executed by the Nazis. I wonder if some kind of military camp or barracks used to be on this site. It is unusual to see so many roads with full names.
Marzo

Post by Marzo »

Another one in Bristol - Back of Kingsdown Parade. Yes, it's behind the properties facing onto Kingsdown Parade.
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

Here a few off the top of my head.

Ley Hill Farm Road in Northfield, Birmingham
Catherine de Barnes Lane in Solihull
Sir Henry Parkes Road in Coventry
trickstat

Post by trickstat »

New John Street West in Birmingham:

https://www.google.com/maps/@52.4953609 ... Fpanoid%3D
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

trickstat wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 21:57 New John Street West in Birmingham:

Just around the corner from that is Great King Street North.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

Steven wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 08:40 The different sections of A4150 all have four word names of the format "Ring Road St. Patrick's". The equivalent in Coventry and Birmingham are "Ringway" and "Queensway", so are only three words long.

There are also a few "Sir Bob Smith Way" type roads dotted around the country.
Great Charles Street Queensway in central Brum.
Make poetry history.

Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.

From the SABRE Wiki: A4150 :

The A4150 (also known as the Wolverhampton Inner Ring Road) forms a loop of the city centre of just over two miles, meeting the vast majority of the radial routes heading into the city centre.

It is entirely dual carriageway throughout its length, and the individual sections (except one) are named after nearby churches. The number A4150 does not appear on any signs throughout its length, and indeed is only used at the nearby roundabout junction between Waterloo Road

... Read More
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

trickstat wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 21:57 New John Street West in Birmingham:

Actually, thinking about it, it ought to be New John Street West Middleway, as it's part of the ring road, but somehow it seems to be the only part of the RR lacking that suffix.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
matt-thepie

Post by matt-thepie »

Bryn666 wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 12:04
However, for the real insanity you must head west. After it was rebuilt post Katrina, the I-10 Twin Span in Louisana was renamed The Frank Davis "Naturally N'Awlins" Memorial Bridge. Go on, I dare you to beat a 7 worder.
I already did :P

It's named after Gaiman's novel of the same name.
RichardA626

Post by RichardA626 »

M5Lenzar wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 12:14
Bryn666 wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 12:04 Manchester Airport Eastern Link Road is a five worder. And yes, that's its official name for now until they no doubt find a Z lister to name it after.
Howard Webb Road would be appropriate for all the man did for football in Manchester.
I'm surprised there isn't a road in the area named after John Alcock, if not the whole airport.
Beware of the trickster on the roof
Runwell

Post by Runwell »

Cut A Thwart Lane, just outside Maldon.
Big Nick

Post by Big Nick »

trickstat wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 15:30
Gareth Thomas wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 23:10 The map of all three of them is here.
Slightly off topic, but why does Ashford have an estate named after people, who although eminent, seem to have no obvious local collection, and aren't nationally famous either!
I googled some of the names and it seems like these roads are named after people noted for their military service. I've heard of van der Post who was also an author, philosopher, explorer and spiritual adviser to Prince Charles. Killick was later an ambassador and one of the others was an SOE agent executed by the Nazis. I wonder if some kind of military camp or barracks used to be on this site. It is unusual to see so many roads with full names.
Repton Park South was named for British War Heroes. https://www.kentlive.news/news/nostalgi ... ed-3951650
And yes, the army had Templer Barracks on the site, latterly used by the Intelligence Corps. https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by ... ht=BingHyb
But I cannot find any links between these people and the Ashford area or this site.
trickstat

Post by trickstat »

Big Nick wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 09:48
trickstat wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 15:30
Repton Park South was named for British War Heroes. https://www.kentlive.news/news/nostalgi ... ed-3951650
And yes, the army had Templer Barracks on the site, latterly used by the Intelligence Corps. https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by ... ht=BingHyb
But I cannot find any links between these people and the Ashford area or this site.
This sort of thing is quite common. I suppose it is a little like re-developing a site formerly occupied by a hospital (usually when a new hospital has been built elsewhere) and calling the new roads something like Lister Close, Nightingale Drive, Anderson Court and Fleming Avenue. Not because they had links with the area or the hospital but because they are linked to medicine.
AndyB
SABRE Developer

Post by AndyB »

Newtownards: Blair Mayne Road North and South
Saintfield: Old Grand Jury Road and Manor
Bangor: Bay Lands First, Second, Third, Fourth, Fifth and Sixth Avenues - and each is signed with "Bay Lands" as two words rather than one.
Johnathan404

Post by Johnathan404 »

Arterial Road West Thurrock
I have websites about: motorway services | Fareham
Skipsy

Post by Skipsy »

High Street Colliers Wood (part of the A24)
North Side Wandsworth Common (part of the A3/A205)
St. John's Wood Road (part of the A5205)
As well as St. John's Wood Terrace and St. John's Wood High Street (5 Worder!)
pjr10th

Post by pjr10th »

Is having road names in French cheating :wink: in fact the standard Jersey road name: La [Rue/Chemin/Route] de [whatever] has 4 words, so I'll do ones where there are four or more words in the English Translation, of which there are still many.

L'Avenue et Dolmen du Pré des Lumières - Meadow of Lights Avenue and Dolmen

L'Avenue de la Reine Elizabeth II - Queen Elizabeth II Avenue (colloquially however the Airport Road).

Mont de la Grève de Lecq - Grève de Lecq Hill

There's a few names that are fun to say as well: Mont du Bu de la Rue - not sure what that means but it could be translated to Bu de la Rue Hill and La Rue du Douet de Rue - de Rue Stream Road (alternatively could be translated to The Road of the Stream of the Road).

La Rue du Mont de la Mare - La Mare Hill Road and its neighbour Le Chemin du Mont de la Mare - La Mare Hill Lane

Le Mont de la Mare St Catherine - La Mare St Catherine Hill

La Rue de la Pouclée et des Quatres Chemins - Dolmen and Four Lanes Road

La Rue de la Fontaine de St Martin - Fountain of St Martin Road

Most of the main roads have names like La Grande Route de St Jean, which means St John's Main Road

An English name example: Gorey Village Main Road

There's also the Colloquial names of St Clement's Coast road and St Clement's Inner Road though the former is officially called in England just the Coast Main Road.

There is the Vallée des Vaux which in French only has three words but the English translation is longer "Valley of the Valleys" (though that may be me mistranslating).
solocle

Post by solocle »

"Ringwood Road Service Road" - Google Maps
A1779039-10F5-4F1E-9C93-34103707028E.jpeg
Last edited by solocle on Thu Apr 29, 2021 13:52, edited 1 time in total.
the cheesecake man

Post by the cheesecake man »

FleetlinePhil wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 12:43 Similarly, the A58 Bury and Bolton Road. I suspect this sort of example came about where a main road passed through an intermediate smaller local authority, and they did not want to give preference to one town over the other?
Or even better five words in Bury and Rochdale Old Road