Named road / streets that no longer appear on modern maps.

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

AdamPanic

Named road / streets that no longer appear on modern maps.

Post by AdamPanic »

I think this a bit of challenge, because named street and roads tend to persist over time and those further from urban centres even more so.

Just curious to see if they are any named street, road or features that used to appear on public maps. eg a Road Atlas.
That now don't. But wait there is a few of caveats that'll disqualify them.

1. Urban Revelopments, eg At lot of the old victorian streets "up north" especially close town centres where demolished due urban redevelopments.
Eg Gasworks Lane ((I'll allow changes resulting from the extreme form of urban redevelopment) aka the blitz)
eg. If was on a map before the street or road that was bombed (that be a valid answer)

2. Not connected to another form of transportation and the form is no longer is present.
eg A Station Road where there is no longer a publically accessible station (Not Valid)
eg Quay or Wharf Street and there isn't canal reasonably nearby (2 - 3 minute walk). there any more (Valid)
eg. A Tramworks Lane and there currently no trams sheds (Valid)

3. A Station or feature changed names.

My feeling is that those who no longer remain are from natural disasters (eg landslide) or formar sites of heavy industries. Mining, Steel Works, chemical works etc. Pitt Lane and no longer a pit there (VALID)
TS

Re: Named road / streets that no longer appear on modern maps.

Post by TS »

Waverley Road in Bournemouth ceased to have any useful existence in the mid-1980s, when the railway station area was redone and St Swithun's Road South was put through. Today, it is just a T-shaped turning area at the end of Cotlands Road.

Even so, you can still see the remains of the lane arrows, from when Waverley Road came out on Holdenhurst Road as part of the one-way system:
Waverley.jpg
Photo taken in 2007 but still faintly visible in July 2019 Street View, along with the turn left arrow out of Cotlands Road itself:
https://goo.gl/maps/PdKY9UW2iqA953nm6

That's quite a survival 35 years after they ceased to have any relevance!

Anyway, the name has now disappeared from maps, although it did linger there for quite a few years after its demise.
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

Do you mean where the name has disappeared, or that the street has disappeared?
Steven
Motorway Historian

Founder Member, SABRE ex-Presidents' Corner

Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!

Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

Steven wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:59 Do you mean where the name has disappeared, or that the street has disappeared?
I agree, it's a bit confusing. But there must be hundreds of instances of Station Street/Road/Approach, just to take one obvious example, where the station has been closed and/or demolished thanks to Dr Beeching but the road is still there under the same name.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
trickstat

Post by trickstat »

Chris Bertram wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:03
Steven wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:59 Do you mean where the name has disappeared, or that the street has disappeared?
I agree, it's a bit confusing. But there must be hundreds of instances of Station Street/Road/Approach, just to take one obvious example, where the station has been closed and/or demolished thanks to Dr Beeching but the road is still there under the same name.
The village of Langford that is just south of Biggleswade in Beds has a Station Road. This is not surprising as the ECML runs along the eastern edge of the village. However, not only is there no station in Langford, there has never been one!
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

Well Ebbw Vale has a Steel Works Road but the Steelworks is long gone.

There is a Saltwells Road in Middlesbrough that was named after the Brine works that extracted the salt from an underground deposit but that closed at the end of WW2 and is now just a residential street. It can be seen on the 1:25000 OS Maps layer.
Last edited by KeithW on Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:59, edited 1 time in total.
M4Simon

Post by M4Simon »

There are many in Swansea which disappeared as part of the rebuilding after the war. Some are named in this article: https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/loca ... s-13183621 , others include Gower Street (now Kingsway) and Goat Street, now under Princess Way.

In the Aldgate East area of London, there is a section of Leman Street between Whitechapel High Street and Braham Street which now forms part of the inner ring road. Prior to 2008, the inner ring ran around the Aldgate East gyratory and Braham Street, and there was another road running along the top of what is now Leman Street. Unfortunately, I cannot remember what it was called! I think it might have begun with a C.

When the gyratory was removed in 2008, the eastern part of Braham Street was stopped up and no longer exists. The western part is now a park, but I think it is still known as Braham Street.

Simon

Please contact me if you want to know more
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

There's also a lot of rural rights of way that have fallen out of use with the coming of the motor car and the paving of roads. Some routes were not paved, and because there were more suitable alternative paved routes, the other routes were abandoned or became footpaths/bridleways/BOATs (some of which now are subject to TROs). Other routes disappeared completely. Some of these have names on old maps, and the names no longer appear - although interestingly the OpenStreetMap project is indirectly responsible for the revival of some historical names as a result of them being on now out of copyright maps which have become transposed onto the modern OSM map.
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
vlad

Post by vlad »

I'm still not entirely sure what the OP is after.

If you mean a road with a name that maps don't show then there's Boothroyd Street in Hanley, which has had the entrance to a concert hall built on top.
"If you expect nothing from somebody you are never disappointed." - Sylvia Plath
M4Simon

Post by M4Simon »

M4Simon wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:57 There are many in Swansea which disappeared as part of the rebuilding after the war. Some are named in this article: https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/loca ... s-13183621 , others include Gower Street (now Kingsway) and Goat Street, now under Princess Way.

In the Aldgate East area of London, there is a section of Leman Street between Whitechapel High Street and Braham Street which now forms part of the inner ring road. Prior to 2008, the inner ring ran around the Aldgate East gyratory and Braham Street, and there was another road running along the top of what is now Leman Street. Unfortunately, I cannot remember what it was called! I think it might have begun with a C.

When the gyratory was removed in 2008, the eastern part of Braham Street was stopped up and no longer exists. The western part is now a park, but I think it is still known as Braham Street.

Simon
The road I was thinking about was called Colchester Street and ran south from Gardiner's Corner (end of Commercial Road) to the top of Leman Street. It was realigned in 2008 as part of the project to close Braham Street, and renamed Leman Street, which was the name this section was known as before it became Colchester Street. It appears that the eastern part of Braham Street and Manningtree Street were also previously known as Colchester Street, so the name has a sad history in that much of it no longer exists as a road. (The section of Leman Street is slightly further east than old Colchester Street).

Simon

Please contact me if you want to know more
RichardA626

Post by RichardA626 »

Marple has at least two roads that have lost their names due to development.

Hollins Street is now the driveway to the fire station. The houses on it were pulled down in the 1960s.

The parallel Hollins Terrace is still standing, but oddly the houses face onto a footpath, but the back alley is wide enough to drive along.

The other road is Trinity Street, which was turned into a one way service road , though recently the one way direction was reversed.
Beware of the trickster on the roof
Big Nick

Post by Big Nick »

You can still drive on it if you can gain access but it is not a public road any more. I give you... Coronation Street! :lol:
https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by ... ht=BingHyb

I jest, a little. I actually mean Grape Street which ran from Water Street to Lower Byrom Street. Corrie was first filmed outside on the land in the corner of Water Street and Grape Street before it was rebuilt in Salford Quays. Grape Street was subsumed into the larger Granada TV Studio site in 1981.
FosseWay
Assistant Site Manager

Post by FosseWay »

Slightly cheating as it's not UK, but here you can see the remains of a grid of streets that have been abandoned due to the expansion of the huge hole. When I was there (2012), more of the streets still had houses (though they were nearly all uninhabited), and the street name plates were still there. Now they have disappeared completely from the ground and maps, and searching on the old street names now yields very few search results, and none from official sources.

This is a subtly different state of affairs from that found in a range of more famous abandoned towns, like Pripyat' or Centralia, where the streets still have their official names and they're still marked on maps - including in the case of Pripyat' all of the Communist propaganda you'd expect from street names in the USSR. The Swedish approach has been to obliterate the memory of the streets altogether, even where they are still traceable on the ground.
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

There's also the rather obvious villages and roads that disappeared under valley flooding schemes to provide reservoirs. An interesting one being Rutland Water with its drowned church:

https://normantonchurch.wedding/
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
KevS

Post by KevS »

Like several towns, a lot of streets in Ipswich disappeared with sixties redevolpment. The area known as the Potteries to the east of the town centre, and known as a bit of a slum area were wiped away when the Suffolk College was built, which in turn has now been torn down itself and replaced by the University. There are streets such as Dove Street and Regent Street which, although they still exist, are only a mere fraction of what they were.

Then you have the case of Long Street, now reduced to the access road to the University car park. Also wending it's way through the campus is the remains of New Street, but it's not for public use.

When the dual carriageways of Civic Drive and Franciscan Way were built, although again, streets were wiped out, in a couple of cases, the buildings remained. Near the southern end of Civic Drive, amongst all the 1960's and 70's building is a small terrace of three houses, probably built circa 1920 and set at a slight angle from the road. These houses are presumably all that is left of Tanners Lane, which ran on the rough course that Civic Drive does today. Further around, Franciscan Way used to come to an abrupt halt at St Nicholas Street, with the plans to continue the ring road beyond eventually scrapped. The eastern half of Franciscan Way to St Nicholas Street replaced Cromwell Street, and although the southern side was demolished to create the dual carriageway, the houses on the northern side remain to this day.

And although these do lie next to the ultra-modern but actually 45 year old Willis Building and Franciscan Way is now diverted away, it doesn't seem so out of place as it once did.
It's a ticket to plastic death
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

I don't know whether this what the OP envisaged. In Solihull, before the centre was pedestrianised, Park Road ran east from The Square to a dead end at Malvern Park. Part way along New Road branched off north to join the main Warwick Road. At some point, the section of Park Road from The Square to New Road was renamed New Road, cutting Park Road back to just a short cul-de-sac.

This is how it was originally

https://maps.nls.uk/view/115634026#zoom ... &layers=BT

And this is how it is now

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Par ... -1.7738246
alice

Post by alice »

Another one in Bournemouth is Littledown Road. Previously running from Dean Park Road to the station, it was half obliterated by the Wessex Way. The remaining half was then renamed as an extension of Dean Park Road. (see here: https://www.google.com/maps/@50.7246567,-1.8694967,18z)
TS

Post by TS »

alice wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 08:57 Another one in Bournemouth is Littledown Road. Previously running from Dean Park Road to the station, it was half obliterated by the Wessex Way. The remaining half was then renamed as an extension of Dean Park Road. (see here: https://www.google.com/maps/@50.7246567,-1.8694967,18z)
Alice, I always wondered about that one. My personal memory of Bournemouth town centre is just too late, I was 11 in 1986 and that's when we moved into town from West Moors.

The way the extended bit of Dean Park Road hugs the dual carriageway made me wonder whether it was the unaltered original course of Littledown Road, or whether it was realigned to suit the dual carriageway. The stub of St Paul's Road, off Lansdowne Road alongside and above the St Paul's Roundabout is another, though.

Incidentally, I was in town on Thursday and had a quick look at Waverley Road and Cotlands Road. The old arrows which I highlighted in my first reply are still certainly evident.
Isleworth1961

Post by Isleworth1961 »

Adelaide Road, Brentford. The terrace of houses on the southern side of the road were demolished when the A4 Great West Road was built in 1925, but the houses on the northern side remain, and face out onto the Great West Road, and in the shadow of the elevated M4. The remaining terrace was renamed Adelaide Terrace, though their actual address is now Adelaide Terrace, Great West Road, TW8 9PQ.