Highest RCS between Irish Republic/Northern Ireland

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

IAN

Highest RCS between Irish Republic/Northern Ireland

Post by IAN »

I misread the title of the other current thread and for a moment thought it was referring to Ireland. I think that it would be interesting to find out the highest RCS in the republic that refers to a destination in Northern Ireland and vice-versa. I presume that Belfast is never referred to, south of Dublin and Dublin is not signed on any RCS north of Belfast?
AKA M5 Driver
Nwallace

Re: Highest RCS between Irish Republic/Northern Ireland

Post by Nwallace »

I have memories of seeing Doire on signs pretty far south, whether or not it was in Corcaigh or not is too vauge to remember.

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

Cian

Post by Cian »

Nwallace wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 23:49 I have memories of seeing Doire on signs pretty far south, whether or not it was in Corcaigh or not is too vauge to remember.

ROI RCS should only show the terminal destination of the route and diverging routes in (), the N2 isn't a diverging route from anything.

So Derry 215 is likely the highest to Derry (at Coldwinters) as I doubt there's any on the detrunked N2 inside the M50.
A42_Sparks

Post by A42_Sparks »

Cian wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:13
Nwallace wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 23:49 I have memories of seeing Doire on signs pretty far south, whether or not it was in Corcaigh or not is too vauge to remember.

ROI RCS should only show the terminal destination of the route and diverging routes in (), the N2 isn't a diverging route from anything.

So Derry 215 is likely the highest to Derry (at Coldwinters) as I doubt there's any on the detrunked N2 inside the M50.
Yes Derry wouldn't have been signed south of Dublin. In 2001 there was an N2 RCS that mentioned Derry somewhere around the Glasnevin area. I also remember seeing one nearby for the N3 which mentioned the vague 'Donegal South' with no mileage.

In Northern Ireland, Dublin is signed from the Craigavon Bridge in Derry but I drove the A5 to Strabane recently and didn't see Dublin on any RCS outside Derry. I guess the highest is probably the one on the A12 Westlink in Belfast which says Dublin 104.
Owain
Elected Committee Member

Post by Owain »

A42_Sparks wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 23:42
Cian wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:13

Yes Derry wouldn't have been signed south of Dublin. In 2001 there was an N2 RCS that mentioned Derry somewhere around the Glasnevin area. I also remember seeing one nearby for the N3 which mentioned the vague 'Donegal South' with no mileage.

In Northern Ireland, Dublin is signed from the Craigavon Bridge in Derry but I drove the A5 to Strabane recently and didn't see Dublin on any RCS outside Derry. I guess the highest is probably the one on the A12 Westlink in Belfast which says Dublin 104.
Distances to Dublin are signed on the A5 further south though. As they are shown in miles, this gives the odd impression of the distance apparently 'increasing' as soon you drive over the border onto the N2, whereby they are shown in kilometres, meaning that the numbers suddenly become higher than those on the signage in Northern Ireland!

The last time I was there, the Dublin directional sign at the start of the A5 on the Waterside had the place name crossed out with spray paint.
Former President & F99 Driver

Viva la Repubblica!
A42_Sparks

Post by A42_Sparks »

Owain wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 09:46 Distances to Dublin are signed on the A5 further south though.
You’re right. The highest I could find was outside Omagh with Dublin at 111 miles.
IJP1

Post by IJP1 »

There is, or certainly was, a sign with "Dublin" not far from Letterkenny (before you cross the border).

That may be a candidate?
-------------------------
Ian P. (IJP1)
Owain
Elected Committee Member

Post by Owain »

A42_Sparks wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 02:47
Owain wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 09:46 Distances to Dublin are signed on the A5 further south though.
You’re right. The highest I could find was outside Omagh with Dublin at 111 miles.
I remember the 111 sign, and I think that is probably the highest distance shown on the A5.

IJP1 wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 16:21 There is, or certainly was, a sign with "Dublin" not far from Letterkenny (before you cross the border).

That may be a candidate?
There are directional signs for Dublin from both Letterkenny (N14) and Ballyshannon (N3), indicating routes that pass through N. Ireland.

And a quick search on the road out of Letterkenny suggests that you're absolutely right: surely we have a winner!
Former President & F99 Driver

Viva la Repubblica!
A42_Sparks

Post by A42_Sparks »

Owain wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 14:58 And a quick search on the road out of Letterkenny suggests that you're absolutely right: surely we have a winner!
I think the OP asked for examples of places in NI being signed from ROI and vice versa. Dublin signed from Letterkenny wouldn't really count.

Anyway there are much longer distances signed within ROI.
Burwellian

Post by Burwellian »

Nwallace wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 23:49 I have memories of seeing Doire on signs pretty far south, whether or not it was in Corcaigh or not is too vague to remember.
A look at the west coast route; the N20 only signs to Limerick, N18 only signposts Galway, N17 only points to Sligo. First mention of Derry seems to be as it meets the N4 south of Sligo; only 153km. Signing to take the N15 and A5 presumably.
A42_Sparks

Post by A42_Sparks »

IJP1 wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 16:21 There is, or certainly was, a sign with "Dublin" not far from Letterkenny (before you cross the border).
Dublin was also once signed here in the centre of Letterkenny when the N56 still went through the town. It disappeared when that section was downgraded to the R229.