Road Infrastructure Things Worth Visiting

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Re: Road Infrastructure Things Worth Visiting

Post by Steven »

Chris Bertram wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 16:43 The Tees Transporter Bridge, which carries A178 over the river between Middlesbrough and Haverton Hill en route to Seaton Carew and Hartlepool. It's not a long ride, but the structure remains impressive even if you turn up outside its operating hours.
The Newport Transporter Bridge (as in Newport, Monmouthshire) is also worth a trip for.

There's also the B7076/B7078 through Dumfriesshire and Lanarkshire that are also worth doing at least once as an alternative to A74(M)/M74.
Steven
Motorway Historian

Founder Member, SABRE ex-Presidents' Corner

Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!

BeenEverywhere

Post by BeenEverywhere »

It's a bit more old-school than most things on here, but Watery Lane, Little Cawthorpe, Lincolnshire.

https://goo.gl/maps/7UemFTmsCVLo8rVj7

Swing a left from where the camera car is, and follow the raised footpath down to Wood Lane. Don't worry about it looking like a river, there's a gravel base under it. Just keep an eye on how deep the water is if there's been rain recently, and work to the limits of your vehicle. I've done it in an old caddy van, so you don't need some massively modified off roader.
Been everywhere... can't remember any of it

Was fun though :laugh:
JamesA44

Post by JamesA44 »

Another vote here for the old Severn Bridge, which I never tire of looking at.

Now you can't actually view the bridge from Severn View Services without going into a private car park ( :roll: ), Beachley on the other side is where to head for great views of the bridge.

And if you carry on to the end of that road, you can get up very close and personal :D

Back over the other side, you can still just about see the remains of the route to the old ferry in the middle of this view - which kind-of equates to this view from the time.

Finally, a bit further down, the split-level section of the M5 between 19 and 20 is also a feat worth seeing - in both directions.
the cheesecake man

Post by the cheesecake man »

Another vote here for the obvious bridges and for the Mersey Tunnel tour I also haven't got round to yet. (SABRE awayday? :stir:)

For something less obvious how about the M62 bridge over the River Ouse at Goole? Scary to drive over in high wind but always impressive.
Simon_GNR

Post by Simon_GNR »

the cheesecake man wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 13:16 Another vote here for the obvious bridges and for the Mersey Tunnel tour I also haven't got round to yet. (SABRE awayday? :stir:)

For something less obvious how about the M62 bridge over the River Ouse at Goole? Scary to drive over in high wind but always impressive.
Whilst you're in that neck of the woods go and have a look at the old bridge - the Boothferry swing bridge which takes the A614 over the Ouse.
Gareth Thomas

Post by Gareth Thomas »

Owain wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 15:33 - the Severn Bridges. If forced to choose, the old one offers much better views than the new one.
Sadly the M4 Prince of Wales Bridge/Second Severn Crossing is not able to be walked on, but the M48 Severn Bridge does have a footpath running next to it which I walked along a few years ago. Very enjoyable.

In Kent, I'd nominate the A2 Jubilee Way as it bursts out of the cliffs towards Dover's Eastern Docks; and the M2 Stockbury bridge over Junction 5. Whilst you can't stop or walk over it, you can under it. :-P
Last edited by Gareth Thomas on Sat Aug 01, 2020 01:00, edited 1 time in total.
My journey with testicular cancer!
https://garethishalfnuts.wordpress.com/

"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads..."
-Dr Emmett Brown
trickstat

Post by trickstat »

I've only ever driven or ridden over them myself but the triple Medway viaducts (2 carriageways of M2 and HS1 railway) might be interesting from underneath. This is from the south side:

https://www.google.com/maps/@51.3744431 ... 376!8i2688

There is a footpath and cycleway on the southbound viaduct.
M4Simon
Elected Committee Member

Post by M4Simon »

If road numbering and zones are your thing, then take a trip to the Peahen junction in St Albans where the A5 and A6 used to cannon off eachother. Although they are now numbered A5183 and A1081 respectively, you can still step directly from the 4-zone to the 6-zone by crossing the junction diagonally.

Take a trip along the M4/M48 from Junction 18 to Junction 28 to see the 1966/67 motorway and Severn / Wye Bridge. This road is packed with features. From junction 18 descend the long hill, passing the proposed Pucklechurch motorway service area slips, then past the end of the M32 and the blue railway bridge, which is not pretty but very distinctive. Onwards to Almondsbury. The best way to see it would be from west to east, so perhaps a detour on the way back from M4 eastbound to M5 south over the top of the interchange. Take a diversion as far as the Avonmouth Bridge and the elevated section of M5 just beyond, then return via M5 north and onto M4 eastbound which will take you underneath the whole thing, with three bridges above you.

Continuing westbound on the M4, take the M48 Severn and Wye Bridges - far more interesting than the M4 itself. Head west, rejoining the M4, then continue past Celtic Manor and the A449 junction, across the Usk Bridge and into the Brynglas tunnels. From there it is a short hop to the former terminus at Junction 28. The motorway has been widened and had lots of technology upgrades, but from a sabristic point of view there is lots to see.

Simon
Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?

Please contact me if you want to know more
JamesA44

Post by JamesA44 »

28 posts and no-one has mentioned Spaghetti junction yet.

We all know that driving it is nowhere near as confusing as the media would have people believe, but there are views like this one where you can see what a feat of engineering it was.
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

JamesA44 wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 16:33 28 posts and no-one has mentioned Spaghetti junction yet.

We all know that driving it is nowhere near as confusing as the media would have people believe, but there are views like this one where you can see what a feat of engineering it was.
It's very easy to navigate, the decision points are all pretty clearly signed. And yes, it is a marvel of engineering. I'd invite you, in fact, to view it from the canal junction below, where the Grand Union, Birmingham & Fazeley and Tame Valley canals all meet - you can look up and see the pillars and the undersides of the roadways in all their magnificence. But as time goes on, it's becoming a maintenance headache, and I'm sure it taking much more traffic than it was ever projected to handle.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

trickstat

Post by trickstat »

Chris Bertram wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 17:29
JamesA44 wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 16:33 28 posts and no-one has mentioned Spaghetti junction yet.

It's very easy to navigate, the decision points are all pretty clearly signed. And yes, it is a marvel of engineering. I'd invite you, in fact, to view it from the canal junction below, where the Grand Union, Birmingham & Fazeley and Tame Valley canals all meet - you can look up and see the pillars and the undersides of the roadways in all their magnificence. But as time goes on, it's becoming a maintenance headache, and I'm sure it taking much more traffic than it was ever projected to handle.
I have found it easy to navigate as long as you follow the signs and ignore any doubts that one's imperfect sense of direction might be having.
PeterA5145

Post by PeterA5145 »

Chris Bertram wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 17:29

Yes, when driving through Spaghetti Junction, in whatever direction, you really don't get a sense of its overall complexity. This is especially true when passing through on the M6 main line.
“The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” – Robert A. Heinlein
ravenbluemoon
Committee Member

Post by ravenbluemoon »

SteelCamel wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 19:55 Perhaps stretching the definition a little - the turntable ferry to Skye - though it seems they're not going to run this year at all. These ferries used to be everywhere in the highlands, but this is the last one you can still travel on.
I had to check to see what that turntable ferry was - a fascinating design. I've used the ferry that runs from the Black Isle to Cromarty, it only took two cars. You had to park on the circular turntable (the other car driver could not understand this, nor the ferryman's wild arm waving to get him positioned :D ) and you span around on the way across. I think it may have been electric operated.

- I'd second the mentions for the Tees Transporter Bridge. Pity a lot of the surrounding area is derelict wasteland, for the moment at least. I really should try and get to the one in Newport some day.
- Forth Bridges are well worth a look close up. An additional decent viewpoint can be found on the A904 just to the west, up on the hill.
- The road to Lindisfarne. Check the tide times, unless you own a DUKW, or like your car full of sea...
- The ex-A625 at Mam Tor. Completely undriveable, though I've bounced down it on a mountain bike! It's an impressive view, looking at layer upon layer of fixes - proving that we can't always tame nature.
- Churchill Barriers, Orkney: Well worth jumping on the "other" ferry that lands at St. Margaret's Hope on South Ronaldsay (it was also cheaper when we used it) and driving up the chain of islands. Several were joined together in WW2 by causeways to block the inlets into Scapa Flow. Don't forget to visit the Italian Chapel, which is the only remains of the POW camp that supplied the labour force to build them.
- I'm a sucker for the many urban motorways that were built in the 70s, particularly in Leeds and Newcastle - which really push the definition of a motorway to the limit!
- Magic Roundabout, Swindon - if anything just to scare the living daylights out of any passengers that are with you :twisted:
Tony Alice (they,them)
~~~~~
Owner of a classic rust heap/money pit, and other unremarkable older vehicles.
Usually found with a head in an old map or road atlas.

Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Ask me if you want to get involved!

fras

Post by fras »

I know it's not much, but the toll bridge over the Manchester Ship Canal at Warburton is worth a look. It looks very flimsy, (it's the original bridge), and has a 3 ton weight limit. Its only 12p to use so, won't break the bank. While you're near there, take a look at the church in Warburton. It's timber framed.
Rambo

Post by Rambo »

fras wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 00:05 I know it's not much, but the toll bridge over the Manchester Ship Canal at Warburton is worth a look. It looks very flimsy, (it's the original bridge), and has a 3 ton weight limit. Its only 12p to use so, won't break the bank. While you're near there, take a look at the church in Warburton. It's timber framed.
I'll add to that the high level bridge over the ship canal at Stockton Heath Warrington which is almost identical and has impressive views each way.
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

Chris Bertram wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 17:29 It's very easy to navigate, the decision points are all pretty clearly signed. And yes, it is a marvel of engineering. I'd invite you, in fact, to view it from the canal junction below, where the Grand Union, Birmingham & Fazeley and Tame Valley canals all meet - you can look up and see the pillars and the undersides of the roadways in all their magnificence. But as time goes on, it's becoming a maintenance headache, and I'm sure it taking much more traffic than it was ever projected to handle.

I'll second that, in 1984 when I went to what was Warley College of Technology for a year to learn about these new fangled things called computers I spent the summer working for a company based where Point Bid Logistics are. I spent many a happy lunch time exploring the 3D transport matrix of the M6, Spaghetti Junction , the canal and River Tame. A favourite spot to eat my packed lunch was here.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.50844 ... 1254?hl=en

There is a really good view of the Aston Expressway from here.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.50887 ... 3840?hl=en

Of course the modern tin sheds were not there then, we were in a 1930's factory building with a leaking roof, we had to cover the terminals with a plastic cover when we left at night in case it rained. Most of the area was just starting to be redeveloped.
peterc

Post by peterc »

BeenEverywhere wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:12 It's a bit more old-school than most things on here, but Watery Lane, Little Cawthorpe, Lincolnshire.

Swing a left from where the camera car is, and follow the raised footpath down to Wood Lane. Don't worry about it looking like a river, there's a gravel base under it. Just keep an eye on how deep the water is if there's been rain recently, and work to the limits of your vehicle. I've done it in an old caddy van, so you don't need some massively modified off roader.
I live quite close to this so am familiar with it! I've never driven down the actual lane itself, just across the "splash" to reach the pub :P I've had one bad experience down there though, went down very late at night when the water was high so had to maintain a reasonable speed (only like 10-15mph though, to be fair) and soaked someone hidden in the darkness on that "bridge" path to the right, they were not very impressed(!)
linuxrocks

Post by linuxrocks »

Here is google maps showing under the M5, very close to where I live https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.50161 ... 376!8i2688

I haven't been for a month or so, but I think most of the temporary fencing has gone. This is from when they were redoing the M5. The concrete bridge visible under the metal one, leads to the Titford Canal and eventually to the Titford Pools. The pools are under a different part of the M5, and there was a grandiose plan to wall up this bit of the underside of the motorway and build it into a leisure centre and put in a marina. Of course, nothing happened. This site has some pics of the M5 paddling in the pools https://madeinoldbury.co.uk/articles/titford-pools/
BeenEverywhere

Post by BeenEverywhere »

peterc wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:35
BeenEverywhere wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:12 It's a bit more old-school than most things on here, but Watery Lane, Little Cawthorpe, Lincolnshire.

I live quite close to this so am familiar with it! I've never driven down the actual lane itself, just across the "splash" to reach the pub :P I've had one bad experience down there though, went down very late at night when the water was high so had to maintain a reasonable speed (only like 10-15mph though, to be fair) and soaked someone hidden in the darkness on that "bridge" path to the right, they were not very impressed(!)
If you're in doubt, just nip in the pub at the weekend, there's normally a few people there with tricked out landrovers who won't mind path finding for you.

I had it in up to the headlights in the van, but I was pushing too much bow wave really, so it's perfectly possible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PrRn_QHXnA
Been everywhere... can't remember any of it

Was fun though :laugh:
B9127

Post by B9127 »

Tay Road Bridge from the south - not often you see a whole city laid out in front of you, M8/M77/M74 junction just to appreciate the number of lanes and interleaving of motorways, the M90 to its termination point - the most northely Motorway , go in the autumn and as you cross Friarton Bridge the tree colours are a spectacle
Motorways travelled 2019 - M90 - M9 - M80 - M8 -M77 - M73 -A74(M) -M6-M42-M40 -A404(M) - M4 - M5 -M50 -M56 much better so far than last year