Road Infrastructure Things Worth Visiting

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

peterc

Road Infrastructure Things Worth Visiting

Post by peterc »

Is there - or could we make - a list of interesting road related things that are worth pulling over or taking a diversion for? I've trawled the wiki (and the FAQ) and while some of the things on there would count, I imagine either a thread or a wiki page that brings together "visitable" things would be neat and also give me a good excuse to add random diversions on to roadtrips with the family :lol: I imagine many of you would know unusual or better viewpoints for some of the more notable junctions, roads, bridges, tunnels, etc., too.

I think the criteria might be that you can get out and enjoy the thing legally and at leisure, even if it's an unusual thing to visit. Such as:

- The first roundabout at Letchworth (doing this this evening, which is why this thread idea came to mind!)
- Walking under the M25 at Runnymede Bridge
- The abandoned slip lane at M1 J2(?) I saw on a thread here once - unsure if it still exists.
- Going both underneath or walking on the Humber Bridge (ditto for the Sheppey Crossing)
- .. I imagine you all have way better ideas, but anywhere you can get a nice or unusual view of road infrastructure past or present :)

Anyone put together a list of things like this and I'm just being a dunce and not seeing it? If so, apologies!

(I've just registered for SABRE after years of just reading your great posts whenever I've remembered the site exists :D I figured I should finally sign up and actually contribute something back, so hi!)
PeterA5145

Re: Road Infrastructure Things Worth Visiting

Post by PeterA5145 »

The M60 running through Stockport town centre and under the arches of the railway viaduct must be one of the most memorable sights on the network.

Plus, while you're in Stockport, Wellington Road North and South, the current course of the A6, which was one of the first bypasses in Britain, and has a long multi-arch brick viaduct over the valley of the Mersey.

Barton Bridge carrying the M60 over the Manchester Ship Canal, and the adjacent new lift bridge, are also well worth a look.
“The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” – Robert A. Heinlein
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

Well the Bo'ness road (B924) at South Queensferry is an interesting road as it takes you under the original Forth Road Bridge then along the Hopetown Road under the Railway Bridge. From the car park there you can get a great view of all 3 bridges and the old pier head where the ferries ran from.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@55.98992 ... 384!8i8192

Old photo of ferry
http://www.edinphoto.org.uk/0_PCV_M/0_p ... n_1000.htm
RichardA35
Committee Member

Post by RichardA35 »

Also the official viewpoint for the Forth bridges for a more elevated view.
nick_dunn

Post by nick_dunn »

I was going to suggest Mersey Tunnel tours but having just checked I see they are currently suspended due to Covid19. The tour is something I keep meaning to do and have still not got around to it. Under normal circumstances you book in advance for a guided tour that accesses areas not available to the public. Must keep an eye on the website.
Alderpoint

Post by Alderpoint »

PeterA5145 wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:08 Barton Bridge carrying the M60 over the Manchester Ship Canal, and the adjacent new lift bridge, are also well worth a look.
The (rather older) Barton Swing Bridge (B5211) is worth a trip too - especially if you combine it with the adjacent Barton Swing Aquaduct (obviously not road infrastructure). I managed to catch them both once when a (rather large) boat went through and it was a great sight to behold.
Let it snow.
Brenley Corner

Post by Brenley Corner »

The Roundhill Tunnels and Viaducts combination at Folkestone is impressive and has a very European feel about it and is best seen from the A259 (old A20) if you are passing near.

Tony
Brenley Corner: congesting traffic since 1963; discussing roads since 2002
Owain
Elected Committee Member

Post by Owain »

peterc wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:57 Is there - or could we make - a list of interesting road related things that are worth pulling over or taking a diversion for? I've trawled the wiki (and the FAQ) and while some of the things on there would count, I imagine either a thread or a wiki page that brings together "visitable" things would be neat and also give me a good excuse to add random diversions on to roadtrips with the family :lol: I imagine many of you would know unusual or better viewpoints for some of the more notable junctions, roads, bridges, tunnels, etc., too.

I think the criteria might be that you can get out and enjoy the thing legally and at leisure, even if it's an unusual thing to visit. Such as:

- The first roundabout at Letchworth (doing this this evening, which is why this thread idea came to mind!)
- Walking under the M25 at Runnymede Bridge
- The abandoned slip lane at M1 J2(?) I saw on a thread here once - unsure if it still exists.
- Going both underneath or walking on the Humber Bridge (ditto for the Sheppey Crossing)
- .. I imagine you all have way better ideas, but anywhere you can get a nice or unusual view of road infrastructure past or present :)

Anyone put together a list of things like this and I'm just being a dunce and not seeing it? If so, apologies!

(I've just registered for SABRE after years of just reading your great posts whenever I've remembered the site exists :D I figured I should finally sign up and actually contribute something back, so hi!)
Hi Peter - welcome to SABRE!

This is a great idea for a thread, although I'd offer a word of caution .... when making 'diversions' to see things rather than simply taking the fastest route, it is wise to make sure that travelling companions are willing participants. If not, bribe them with a meal in a nice restaurant along the way, or just lie to them and tell them that your chosen route *is* the quickest one! :wink: :laugh: :devil:

My contributions:

- the Severn Bridges. If forced to choose, the old one offers much better views than the new one.

- the A4 Portway under the Clifton Suspension Bridge; the most spectacular approach to any city, not only in the UK, but anywhere really!

PeterA5145 wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:08 The M60 running through Stockport town centre and under the arches of the railway viaduct must be one of the most memorable sights on the network.
Yes it is ... I've always found that part of the motorway quite incredible.

The BT pyramid is worth looking out for as well.
Former President & F99 Driver

Viva la Repubblica!
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

Many bridges are fascinating.... The Britannia Bridge for example, with it's railway deck and giant lion statues. You can also tick off the Menai Suspension Bridge and Lanfair PG railway station with it's long name at the same time.

This list is far from complete, but the categories for the Grade I/Category A listed structures for each of the nations is a good starting point:

Category:Listed_Structures
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

The Tees Transporter Bridge, which carries A178 over the river between Middlesbrough and Haverton Hill en route to Seaton Carew and Hartlepool. It's not a long ride, but the structure remains impressive even if you turn up outside its operating hours. The next bridge upriver is the Newport Bridge, also quite an impressive sight, this is a former lifting bridge where the entire central section of the bridge lifted up between the towers, but boats that might require it no longer travel that far up the Tees, and it's been fixed for quite a few years now.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
IanRB

Post by IanRB »

You can walk across the Forth Road Bridge. Well you always could, but prior to the opening of the Queensferry Crossing the traffic noise would have been deafening, whereas now it's just annoying.

While you're in Scotland the elevated section of the A9 past Killiecrankie looks like something more usually found in the Alps. Worth a drive and a look. You could also take a look at the railway line which runs parallel, it's a Victorian bridge/tunnel mashup.
M4Simon
Elected Committee Member

Post by M4Simon »

peterc wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:57The first roundabout at Letchworth (doing this this evening, which is why this thread idea came to mind!)

Welcome to SABRE!

If you are in Letchworth this evening, you could also take a detour to the Baldock tunnels. Further south on the A1(M) you will find Welwyn Roman Baths built in an Armco culvert under Junction 6. The Hatfield Tunnel is a little further south if that is your kind of thing.

Simon

Please contact me if you want to know more
SteelCamel

Post by SteelCamel »

Perhaps stretching the definition a little - the turntable ferry to Skye - though it seems they're not going to run this year at all. These ferries used to be everywhere in the highlands, but this is the last one you can still travel on. On the way, you can pass through Glenelg (Earth) - it's twinned with Glenelg (Mars) and so the village sign specifies which one you're at, just in case you thought you'd missed a turn and ended up on the wrong planet. Unfortunately it's not on Google Streetview (last updated 2011) so you'll have to go and see it yourself. The views from the road in are quite remarkable, too. It's far from the quickest way to Skye, of course, since you could just keep going up the A87 and over the Skye Bridge.
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

It all depends of course on what you're interested in.

My favourites include:

* The Special Road footpath alongside the Severn Bridge
* The remains of the A18(M)
* The M8 through Glasgow
* The A167(M) through Newcastle upon Tyne
* The former A6144(M)
* The Aust Ferry remains (other ferry remains such as the Erksine Ferry are also available)
* M6 through Westmorland
Steven
Motorway Historian

Founder Member, SABRE ex-Presidents' Corner

Uncle Buck

Post by Uncle Buck »

Glasgow has a lot of interesting road things! The M8 at Charing Cross- in the city centre- is quite cool at night, there’s something oddly soothing about seeing a car swoosh through the underbelly of the city with everything around it all lit up.

There are also two great views on the northbound M77: first, between junctions 4 and 3, you come to the brow of a hill and see the whole city before you all of a sudden, before going down a steep hill and through a park! And then as you approach the M8 at Plantation junction (M8 J22), you are flush with the beautiful university building, which is at the same height as you despite being a couple of miles away on the opposite side of the river. A stunning view when the building is floodlit at night.

As mentioned above the M6 between Preston and Carlisle passes through some really dramatic scenery- a real feat of engineering.
punyXpress

Post by punyXpress »

Chris Bertram wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 16:43 The Tees Transporter Bridge, which carries A178 over the river between Middlesbrough and Haverton Hill en route to Seaton Carew and Hartlepool. It's not a long ride, but the structure remains impressive even if you turn up outside its operating hours. The next bridge upriver is the Newport Bridge, also quite an impressive sight, this is a former lifting bridge where the entire central section of the bridge lifted up between the towers, but boats that might require it no longer travel that far up the Tees, and it's been fixed for quite a few years now.
" Went last year on Centenary day & it was closed due to high winds.
Could see & hear the band playing on the North bank.
Managed to go over a few days later.
Think the info says it is closed Sundays for abseiling! :shock:
Original post January 2013
DB617

Post by DB617 »

Not only is walking the Severn Bridge cool, there is also a Parkrun there (though currently suspended). Was interested in that one myself.
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

Chris Bertram wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 16:43 The Tees Transporter Bridge, which carries A178 over the river between Middlesbrough and Haverton Hill en route to Seaton Carew and Hartlepool. It's not a long ride, but the structure remains impressive even if you turn up outside its operating hours. The next bridge upriver is the Newport Bridge, also quite an impressive sight, this is a former lifting bridge where the entire central section of the bridge lifted up between the towers, but boats that might require it no longer travel that far up the Tees, and it's been fixed for quite a few years now.
While you are in the area you may as well look at why large vessels cant reach Stockton any more - the Tees Barrage and Whitewater centre which is built on what i remember as the slag tip for the South Durham steelworks. There is a rather nice bridge and set of locks there.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.56379 ... 384!8i8192
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.56673 ... 200!8i3600

The pub has a balcony overlooking the area and does a very good lunch.
Halmyre

Post by Halmyre »

Steven wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 20:01 It all depends of course on what you're interested in.

My favourites include:

* The Special Road footpath alongside the Severn Bridge
* The remains of the A18(M)
* The M8 through Glasgow
* The A167(M) through Newcastle upon Tyne
* The former A6144(M)
* The Aust Ferry remains (other ferry remains such as the Erksine Ferry are also available)
* M6 through Westmorland
Are any remains of the Erskine Ferry? The similar Renfrew Ferry is now a floating nightclub.

The Kylesku Bridge on the A894 is worth a look, then you can make a short detour to the village itself and view the remains of the Maid of Kylesku, the turntable ferry that used to cross the narrows.
Last edited by Halmyre on Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:17, edited 1 time in total.
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

SteelCamel wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 19:55 ... the turntable ferry to Skye ...
I went on that last year. It’s a very weird sensation when they spin the turntable round before setting off.
Make poetry history.

Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.