Peterborough Junction Numbering

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Lewis1997

Peterborough Junction Numbering

Post by Lewis1997 »

Trolling through some AA map books I have, and something which I hadn’t noticed before was the junction numbering around Peterborough.

A47: seems to make sense with J15-J20

A1139: also seems to sense with J1-J7 (although personally I’d renumber the route as the A16)

A1260: J31-J33; this doesn’t appear to make any sense at all?! The road is barely 3 miles in length and why are these junction numbers even used?? Or who even decided to number these junctions with 31, 32 & 33? (I’d also consider renumbering this section as the A15 with the existing A15 through the city as the A1260).
jervi

Re: Peterborough Junction Numbering

Post by jervi »

I presume it is so that every number has a unique number. It works well when you initially number the junctions, but then as the road network gets developed, new junctions get put in, some removed, some bits get alternative bypasses etc and the whole thing ends up in a mess.
I don't like the way they have numbered the junctions, and would just remove them how they currently are if I was incharge, however not sure how much the people of Peterborough actually use them, or if they refer to junctions / areas by other names like the rest of the country.
Also made more confusing that there are two junction 16s & 17s (and maybe 18 at some point), due to the A1(M).
If I was in charge I'd do the following things in order:
1. Remove all junction numbers (except A1(M))
2. Renumber the A1139 to the A15. Current A15 would get a new A1xxx number
3. Number the new A15 from A1(M) to the current J22 using J1 - J11
4. Number the A47 from the A15 to A1260

Not sure how many other places use unique junction numbers, but the republic of Cyprus comes to mind. Although in places they have reused junction numbers. Also they tend to leave gaps in their numbering meaning that they don't have to resort to using JxxA like us, although they have in some places.
So Cyprus has:
A1 - J1 to J28 (continues as A6)
A6 - J28 to J49
A3 - J50 to J69
A9 - J92 to J95

The A2 & A5 just seems to reuse random junction numbers for for odd reason.
A2 - J30 to J32
A5 - J40 to J42

By the looks of it the planned A22 Motorway has 12 junctions , this would nicely fit into the J70 to J82 with room for expansion. Just checking recent news on that and the first phase of the motorway ring road is due to start works in the coming months and to be open in 3 years at a cost of 74m euro, of which the EU is financing 2/3s.
Total cost of their orbital (although it isn't really an orbital since it doesn't touch the turks side) is 350 million euros for 28.2km of motorway (presume D2M) including a 3.2km cut&cover tunnel, 25km of secondary road (some WS2, some D2), 16 GSJ!
M4 Cardiff

Post by M4 Cardiff »

It looks like the Peterborough numbering system uses a batch of sequential numbers given to routes, in blocks of 10
1-9 - Fletton Parkway
10's - A47, with space to extend to the A1(M) if the upgrade ever happens)
20's - A15 Paston Parkway
30's - A1260 Nene Parkway
40's - A15 Bourges Boulevard and Lincoln Road.

In some ways this is very similar to the Cyprus system.

Actually the random numbers on the Cypriot A2 and A5 don't duplicate numbers on the A6 route. The affected numbers on the A6 route are suffixed with 'A' to avoid full duplication. I think that may have happened because the A1, A2 and A5 are the oldest of the motorways on Cyprus and the A6 came along later, and either the numbering got botched, or it was not originally planned to have the A6 simply continue the numbering from the A1.
Driving thrombosis caused this accident......a clot behind the wheel.
Ruperts Trooper

Post by Ruperts Trooper »

M4 Cardiff wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 23:16 It looks like the Peterborough numbering system uses a batch of sequential numbers given to routes, in blocks of 10
1-9 - Fletton Parkway
10's - A47, with space to extend to the A1(M) if the upgrade ever happens)
20's - A15 Paston Parkway
30's - A1260 Nene Parkway
40's - A15 Bourges Boulevard and Lincoln Road.

In some ways this is very similar to the Cyprus system.

Actually the random numbers on the Cypriot A2 and A5 don't duplicate numbers on the A6 route. The affected numbers on the A6 route are suffixed with 'A' to avoid full duplication. I think that may have happened because the A1, A2 and A5 are the oldest of the motorways on Cyprus and the A6 came along later, and either the numbering got botched, or it was not originally planned to have the A6 simply continue the numbering from the A1.
There is some logic in that - it means no duplicate junction numbers in that area.

I have awful trouble with radio traffic reports if they, or I, miss the motorway number for any low numbered junction in the Midlands could be M5, M6, M6(T), M42, M54, M69
Lifelong motorhead
trickstat

Post by trickstat »

jervi wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 19:15 I presume it is so that every number has a unique number. It works well when you initially number the junctions, but then as the road network gets developed, new junctions get put in, some removed, some bits get alternative bypasses etc and the whole thing ends up in a mess.
I don't like the way they have numbered the junctions, and would just remove them how they currently are if I was incharge, however not sure how much the people of Peterborough actually use them, or if they refer to junctions / areas by other names like the rest of the country.
I work in Peterborough (when not WFH) and I can't say I've ever noticed anybody mentioning these junction numbers. You do hear things like "Eye roundabout" or the junction/exit/turning for Stanground/Bretton/whatever.