Shortest distance between two UK motorway exits

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Micro The Maniac

Re: Shortest distance between two UK motorway exits

Post by Micro The Maniac »

It's curious how you think of things...

Initially, I'd have nominated M3 J4 and J4A - the onslip from J4 is the offslip for J4A in this SMART new world... and my first consideration is always to safely merge into Lane 2 before it's too late.

But actually, there's actually a mile and a half - it just doesn't feel like it a lot of the time!
Paul7755

Post by Paul7755 »

M27 eastbound between J10 and J11 is possibly considered non-urban and is 0.4 miles by Google measure. Signage for J11 is at the “third of a mile“ mark.

Paul
the cheesecake man

Post by the cheesecake man »

Here's the 3/4 mile sign for M18 J3 and it's before the entry slips from J2 so this is another gap of less than that.
booshank

Post by booshank »

Is there a standard measuring point for where a slip road merges or diverges?
jgharston

Post by jgharston »

NICK 647063 wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 21:45 Although not the shortest I often use the M1 south between J45 and J44 and no sooner have you joined you seem to be leaving.
That exactly caught me this morning. Normally after the depot I go along the B6481 and join at j44, then immediately off at j45 for a cuppa and do my route planning. Today for some reason I went along the A639 - I think I was on autopilot - and joined at j44, but my brain clearly thought I was one junction further south, and I zipped past j45. I then got caught in stationary traffic due to a RTA up ahead before I could get off at j46 and turn around.

After my cuppa, knowing the M1/M62 junction roadworks wouldn't let me turn west, I headed straight through to J41. And yes, was past it before I realised what I was doing, and had to leave at J40 and work my way back north. :)
Owain
Elected Committee Member

Post by Owain »

NICK 647063 wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 21:45 The shortest I know is on the A64(M) in Leeds eastbound the A58 exits then as the on slip merges from woodhouse lane A660 the exit on the right for North Street actually starts and yes it’s a right hand exit.
Indeed, you can actually see the offside exit slip as you join, and if you want to take it you have to drive straight across two lanes of traffic.
Former President & F99 Driver

Viva la Repubblica!