M49 - link to nowhere

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

djw1981

Re: M49 - link to nowhere

Post by djw1981 »

Hdeng16 wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 13:50
DB617 wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:58 It's pretty bad that we've just kind of accepted at this point that the very cash strapped HE elected to build this junction despite having absolutely no guaranteed connections into it. Ground should have been broken on the private road the same time as the motorway, or else, no junction. How does this even happen?

It is most certainly a sign of the times that the businesses (very, very large in some cases) would prefer to keep their vehicles travelling via the M48 and thundering down the Severn Beach road rather than having their own dedicated junction for a relatively small cost.
Yes you'd think amazon and tesco especially would be pushing for this. Most of amazon's massive units are just off motorway junctions.
This might be seen by them as setting a precedent though - other LAs might think that getting Amazon to pay for improvements they benefoit from is as good idea, and Amazon won't want that. Even if the local / A road route adds 20 min to a journey, at normal hourly rates for hauliers, thats a lot of trips before you hit the cost of the road.
DB617

Post by DB617 »

djw1981 wrote: Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:37
Hdeng16 wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 13:50
DB617 wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:58 It's pretty bad that we've just kind of accepted at this point that the very cash strapped HE elected to build this junction despite having absolutely no guaranteed connections into it. Ground should have been broken on the private road the same time as the motorway, or else, no junction. How does this even happen?

It is most certainly a sign of the times that the businesses (very, very large in some cases) would prefer to keep their vehicles travelling via the M48 and thundering down the Severn Beach road rather than having their own dedicated junction for a relatively small cost.
Yes you'd think amazon and tesco especially would be pushing for this. Most of amazon's massive units are just off motorway junctions.
This might be seen by them as setting a precedent though - other LAs might think that getting Amazon to pay for improvements they benefoit from is as good idea, and Amazon won't want that. Even if the local / A road route adds 20 min to a journey, at normal hourly rates for hauliers, thats a lot of trips before you hit the cost of the road.
This is true, and the side benefits - mainly environmental, both for pollution reasons and improving conditions for people living between Aust and Severn Beach - are firmly within the remit of SGCC. It's just so hard to believe that schemes on this scale, I mean, they altered a motorway for it, would go ahead with all the grandiose plans for a road to the junction being a pie in the sky. I suspect SGCC may have willingly or unwittingly mislead HE about the chance of the link being built across the estate.
Hdeng16

Post by Hdeng16 »

I must have explained myself really badly since a number of people have taken my post wrongly - so clearly it’s my fault.

What I meant was that I’m surprised Amazon chose that spot without some confirmation that the landowner provide a motorway connection within x years.

Not amazon to pay for it, or build it etc.
Big Nick

Post by Big Nick »

South Gloucestershire Somerset Council need to put in a Congestion Charge or Low Emission Zone on the Severn Road around Pilning, Severn Beach and Hallen applied mainly to HGVs. Local residents and shops could apply for a discount for their deliveries, house moving or farm vehicles etc.

£100 per HGV movement will soon persuade the businesses to get the link road built.
Last edited by Big Nick on Sun Aug 23, 2020 13:06, edited 1 time in total.
Isleworth1961

Post by Isleworth1961 »

Big Nick wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:06 Somerset Council need to put in a Congestion Charge or Low Emission Zone on the Severn Road around Pilning, Severn Beach and Hallen applied mainly to HGVs. Local residents and shops could apply for a discount for their deliveries, house moving or farm vehicles etc.

£100 per HGV movement will soon persuade the businesses to get the link road built.
Wrong council (Somerset Council isn't even adjacent...that would be Bristol City Council.) The area in question is within South Gloucestershire!
Big Nick

Post by Big Nick »

Isleworth1961 wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:50
Big Nick wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:06 Somerset Council need to put in a Congestion Charge or Low Emission Zone on the Severn Road around Pilning, Severn Beach and Hallen applied mainly to HGVs. Local residents and shops could apply for a discount for their deliveries, house moving or farm vehicles etc.

Wrong council (Somerset Council isn't even adjacent...that would be Bristol City Council.) The area in question is within South Gloucestershire!
Yeah alright, my mistake, I read SCC instead of SGC (or even SGCC). Grovel grovel whatever.

Now let's look at the actual issue here - lorries and local roads.

What about the possibility of a Road Charge or HGV ban on the roads around there? How long could it take to set up, what is the legal process?
Could the authority pull a fast one using the latest round of Covid cash and claim it's to reduce the spread of the virus and encourage cyclists? :lol:
DB617

Post by DB617 »

Big Nick wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 13:05
Isleworth1961 wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:50

Yeah alright, my mistake, I read SCC instead of SGC (or even SGCC). Grovel grovel whatever.

Now let's look at the actual issue here - lorries and local roads.

What about the possibility of a Road Charge or HGV ban on the roads around there? How long could it take to set up, what is the legal process?
Could the authority pull a fast one using the latest round of Covid cash and claim it's to reduce the spread of the virus and encourage cyclists? :lol:
Seems simple enough. 7.5t weight restriction. Except I suppose the landowners would object.
gepree68

Post by gepree68 »

A council has reached a deal with the government to build a motorway link road ending months of delays.

The £50m junction on the M49 in Severn Beach was built nearly two years ago.

However motorists have been unable to use the junction to access the business park because of disputes over who should build the link road.

South Gloucestershire Council said the road was the key to unlocking significant benefits for the area, the Local Democracy Reporting Service said.

The council's ruling Conservative cabinet made the decision behind closed doors on Wednesday following the receipt of a confidential report about options for building the link road.
[Parish councillor Peter Tyzack] said he did not expect the link road to be finished and ready for use until late next year [2022] at the earliest,
because of the "legal hoops" involved and the extra time it takes to prepare a flood plain before it can be built on.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-58945090
Fenlander

Post by Fenlander »

Bryn666 wrote: Fri Aug 21, 2020 14:10 Surprised HE would build a junction without the associated S278s being in place, unless they're now that incompetent that they can't even negotiate that...
We have a similar thing on the A16 Spalding bypass. Really poor sightlines in both directions as it's on the inside of a bend and no sign of anything at all happening in the fields other than a rough track created to take advantage of it. Most of the time the gates are locked shut anyway. There's already a decent sized junction a little further along that was built as part of the initial bypass build that (Spalding Drove). What makes it worse is that this new junction was built twice, the first time it was that badly surfaced that they dug it all up and did it again.
Chris56000

Post by Chris56000 »

Hi!

Are there plans mooted for a westbound access road from the new M49 Junction 1 roundabout and where would it connect to?

Chris Williams
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Chris56000 wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 15:05 Hi!

Are there plans mooted for a westbound access road from the new M49 Junction 1 roundabout and where would it connect to?

Chris Williams
Yes, the link westwards is what has caused all the problem - if you mean a road eastwards towards Bristol I'm not aware of any concrete plans beyond people's wild sometime never thinking.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
gepree68

Post by gepree68 »

Chris56000 wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 15:05 Are there plans mooted for a westbound access road from the new M49 Junction 1 roundabout and where would it connect to?
2021-10-19 M49 J1.png
As shown in this map, M49 J1 will connect to A403 (or at least to an unnumbered road that connects to A403).
Bryn666 wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 15:45 [...] If you mean a road eastwards towards Bristol I'm not aware of any concrete plans beyond people's wild sometime never thinking.
2021-10-19 M49 J1 Aerial.png
This photo is looking south (down M49 towards M5 J18A, while M49 to the right takes us up to M4 J22).

That stub at the bottom left corner of the photo is the dotted orange line on the right of the map, and will remain a stub for now.

Maybe in the future it will be a new route from M49 J1 to M5 J17.
M4 Cardiff

Post by M4 Cardiff »

Don't forget that the M5 south from J16 rins at the crest of a ridge, with a steep drop in the west - its a far gentler gradient to the east. Hence the construction of any significant road eastwards and up this scarp is extremely unlikely. I'd wager that any potential construction to the east of the junction would simply be to provide access to more tin sheds, should the commercial estate ever be extended.
Driving thrombosis caused this accident......a clot behind the wheel.
Peter350

Post by Peter350 »

Once the link road opens will the A403 be diverted to meet it?
DB617

Post by DB617 »

Peter350 wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 20:00 Once the link road opens will the A403 be diverted to meet it?
I went looking for a consultation document to answer this question. Nothing. What a mess. I wouldn't be surprised if the road is unclassified and the junction numbered (A403) - a potentially interesting and unique example of a motorway junction leading onto only an unclassified, crap industrial road.
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

DB617 wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:41
Peter350 wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 20:00 Once the link road opens will the A403 be diverted to meet it?
I went looking for a consultation document to answer this question. Nothing. What a mess. I wouldn't be surprised if the road is unclassified and the junction numbered (A403) - a potentially interesting and unique example of a motorway junction leading onto only an unclassified, crap industrial road.
The road it leads on to will be no more or less crap or industrial if it gets numbered A403.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Chris5156 wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 14:12
The road it leads on to will be no more or less crap or industrial if it gets numbered A403.
And no worse than M66 J3, M58 J1 (now full access!), M65 J12, to name just three local unclassified only exits.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
Peter350

Post by Peter350 »

Bryn666 wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 18:41
Chris5156 wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 14:12

And no worse than M66 J3, M58 J1 (now full access!), M65 J12, to name just three local unclassified only exits.
Add M271 Junction 1 to that list. Just because a road is unclassified doesn’t necessarily mean it will be built to a poorer standard than an A or B road.
gepree68

Post by gepree68 »

£50m M49 dead-end junction 'still two years from opening' from 2022-05-20

From yesterday's Bristol Live:
The £50million M49 junction-to-nowhere is still two years away from opening –
a whole five years after it was built, according to metro mayor Dan Norris.

Mr Norris says he is “absolutely furious” at the “colossal mistake” between officials
at South Gloucestershire Council and National Highways – formerly Highways England –
that has left the dead-end motorway roundabout near Avonmouth, completed in 2019,
unconnected to the local road network.
So it was completed in 2019, and is currently expected to open in 2024.
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

gepree68 wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 14:46 £50m M49 dead-end junction 'still two years from opening' from 2022-05-20

From yesterday's Bristol Live:
The £50million M49 junction-to-nowhere is still two years away from opening –
a whole five years after it was built, according to metro mayor Dan Norris.

Mr Norris says he is “absolutely furious” at the “colossal mistake” between officials
at South Gloucestershire Council and National Highways – formerly Highways England –
that has left the dead-end motorway roundabout near Avonmouth, completed in 2019,
unconnected to the local road network.
So it was completed in 2019, and is currently expected to open in 2024.
I don’t know how they got five years but I’m fairly sure their maths is off!