Warrington Centre Park Link Road

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Rambo

Warrington Centre Park Link Road

Post by Rambo »

I was going to post this in the Warrington Western Link thread but seeing as they are two different projects i'll put them here.
A couple of pics of the new bridge crossing the river Mersey off the A5060.
The new link road joins the A5060 and the A5061 near Bank Quay railway station missing Bridge Foot island.
I'm unsure what impact this road will have however it is good to see some investment in road infastructure in the town which has out grown it's antiquated system.
Attachments
IMG_4228.JPG
IMG_4230.JPG
IMG_4232.JPG
stu531

Re: Warrington Centre Park Link Road

Post by stu531 »

Is that a route that extends Slutchers Lane down? It's sort of on Open Street Map at the minute. I can see where it goes. Anything to alleviate traffic in that area would be a good thing. Warrington is expanding all the time in every direction - there can't be many towns that have sprawled at such a rate in recent years.
Rambo

Post by Rambo »

stu531 wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:09 Is that a route that extends Slutchers Lane down? It's sort of on Open Street Map at the minute. I can see where it goes. Anything to alleviate traffic in that area would be a good thing. Warrington is expanding all the time in every direction - there can't be many towns that have sprawled at such a rate in recent years.
Yes it as been expanding for years but very little has been done to upgrade road infastructure. It is routed down Slutchers lane along the railway yard. It will be interesting to see if it will get a road number and appropriate signage.
Britain

Post by Britain »

I'd wondered what they were doing there. The roadworks by Texaco have been so poorly implemented with not making it clear when you need to get back onto your side of the road.

Were you able to quite easily walk over the bridge to get those photos? What camera/lens do you have please? They are beautiful pictures.
I'm nobody special, just somebody who enjoys looking at and talking about infrastructure. Eager to learn as much as I can about the roads of the UK 🇬🇧 - please help me with this.
Rambo

Post by Rambo »

Britain wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 18:40 I'd wondered what they were doing there. The roadworks by Texaco have been so poorly implemented with not making it clear when you need to get back onto your side of the road.

Were you able to quite easily walk over the bridge to get those photos? What camera/lens do you have please? They are beautiful pictures.
Yes you can walk / drive over it. i use Canon 5D mk3. these were taken with L series 24-105 lens.
Rambo

Post by Rambo »

An update on link road at the northern end along the A5061, Wilson Patten street.
I don't think the road layout has changed much at all here with sharp bends leading up to the old railway bridge. The brickwork on the old bridge looks in very poor condition when i went to take a look. I hope this is going to get some attention..
New signs are up and are all green which suggests it will form part of a primary route (or botched). Also no route number for the road is provided on any of the signs installed. The route number of the road itself isn't featured either (A5061) unless this is going to be changed.
I find it interesting that 'North Wales' is signed here which barely featured at all anywhere else in the town. Why not Chester? Also the standard Whitchurch & Macclesfield primary destinations that feature on nearly all signage in Warrington despite nobody probably ever wanting to go there. :roll:
I'm sure our resident sign experts will rip these to pieces :laugh:
Attachments
IMG_4782 - Copy.JPG
IMG_4787 - Copy.JPG
IMG_4792 - Copy.JPG
Britain

Post by Britain »

I took a bunch of pictures a couple of weeks ago. I've added them to an album here.

You can see the view from the police spot. Those old 20 signs leading down to the go-karting look off somehow but I can't put my finger on it; are they using an old font?

It looks like they're turning one of the private roads into a bollard-controlled bus route which will make access to and from Centre Park easier for buses.
I'm nobody special, just somebody who enjoys looking at and talking about infrastructure. Eager to learn as much as I can about the roads of the UK 🇬🇧 - please help me with this.
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

Britain wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 16:55I took a bunch of pictures a couple of weeks ago. I've added them to an album here.
Thanks! Warrington really does love a needless bit of centre hatching where a simple line would do.
You can see the view from the police spot. Those old 20 signs leading down to the go-karting look off somehow but I can't put my finger on it; are they using an old font?
No, the font is right, but there's too much white space around them. I think the border should be thicker and the numbers bigger.
Rambo

Post by Rambo »

Britain wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 16:55 I took a bunch of pictures a couple of weeks ago. I've added them to an album here.

It looks like they're turning one of the private roads into a bollard-controlled bus route which will make access to and from Centre Park easier for buses.
Looks like they're clamping down on anybody parking on the pavement and also a seperate pull in for Plod. Overkill?
Britain

Post by Britain »

Yep, they stop you parking on the road or the pavement for the entire length of the road now, between Chester Road and Wilson Patten Street. They may add parking bays along there but they hadn't done when I took those pictures. The double yellows were still there so I imagine they'll be painted over unless they REALLY don't want people parking on those spots.

It wouldn't be Warrington without a dedicated spot for a speed camera van. At least they have one or two speed camera signs along this stretch, I only saw 1 in each direction when I was there and they were at either entrance to the road.

Chris5156 wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 17:05 Thanks! Warrington really does love a needless bit of centre hatching where a simple line would do.
A few places do that. Warrington has had a big shift in road markings and general road infrastructure recently. A few roads near where these pictures were taken have been converted to one-way roads, some roads made into dead ends and access only roads. Elsewhere they've repainted the lanes so that the opposite direction use them instead and changed the directions on a few. It's hard to explain without pictures.
No, the font is right, but there's too much white space around them. I think the border should be thicker and the numbers bigger.
Maybe that's it then. They're ancient signs anyway and I'm not sure if that's private a road. There are no 30 signs on the back of them.
Last edited by Britain on Sun Oct 11, 2020 17:11, edited 1 time in total.
Rambo

Post by Rambo »

I assume the centre hatching is to deter parking on the kerb making the road hug the edges on the wider bits. Hence the no stopping signs.

I have no photo's to update as i've seen little visual progress however i have been informed by WBC that the new road will be the A5196.
traffic-light-man

Post by traffic-light-man »

Are the signs in this image supposed to indicate the end of both the clearway and the pavement parking ban? If so, I can't help but think an end plate for each would be clearer.
Simon
Rambo

Post by Rambo »

traffic-light-man wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 16:15 Are the signs in this image supposed to indicate the end of both the clearway and the pavement parking ban? If so, I can't help but think an end plate for each would be clearer.
Unsure about the correct signage. But signals are being installed at the northern end.
Attachments
warrington_centrepark_link4.JPG
Britain

Post by Britain »

Oh great(!) More traffic lights.
Rambo

Post by Rambo »

Britain wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 04:19 Oh great(!) More traffic lights.
Yep! going live on Monday i've been told. No right turn from the link road onto Wilson Patten street. Assume the extra signal head is for sighting.
Attachments
IMG_6160.JPG
traffic-light-man

Post by traffic-light-man »

I wonder if the banned movements are to allow eastbound traffic to flow continuously, save for a demand from the pedestrian crossings? I would assume the majority of traffic would be turning left out of the 'new' road at this point anyway even if the right turn wasn't banned, whereas the eastbound is likely to be split more evenly.

It would have been nice to see some dedicated cycle signals to cater for the new modal filter on Arpley Street, but I imagine they'll have just used Toucans or 'CYCLISTS DISMOUNT' signs.
Simon
Rambo

Post by Rambo »

traffic-light-man wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 18:10 I wonder if the banned movements are to allow eastbound traffic to flow continuously, save for a demand from the pedestrian crossings? I would assume the majority of traffic would be turning left out of the 'new' road at this point anyway even if the right turn wasn't banned, whereas the eastbound is likely to be split more evenly.

It would have been nice to see some dedicated cycle signals to cater for the new modal filter on Arpley Street, but I imagine they'll have just used Toucans or 'CYCLISTS DISMOUNT' signs.
I'm hoping to take a look in daylight tomorrow. I did notice that there was a full run of taxi spaces marked out from this junction all the way up to Bank Quay station.
Kkervinjones

Post by Kkervinjones »

Centre Park Link officially opened today:
https://www.facebook.com/warringtonbc/p ... 432338585/
Rambo

Post by Rambo »

Some pics of the completed link road. WBC told me that the new road takes the number A5196 but i see no reference to this online or on any of the road signs.
Attachments
IMG_6997.JPG
IMG_7000.JPG
IMG_6975.JPG
Rambo

Post by Rambo »

more.
Attachments
IMG_6987.JPG
IMG_6993.JPG
IMG_6976.JPG