What was the original planned alignment for the A21 Sevenoaks bypass?

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Peter350

What was the original planned alignment for the A21 Sevenoaks bypass?

Post by Peter350 »

Reading the interesting article on CBRD’s motorway database about the A21, I learned that the section of Sevenoaks Bypass to the south of Gracious Lane was originally intended to be on a different alignment north of the current road. This was because of landslips occurring on the then uncompleted stretch which meant the road would not be safe for use by motor traffic, so a new alignment had to be drawn up late into the construction of the bypass with the old one being torn up before it had the chance to see a vehicle driving on it.

What I would be interested to find out is where this original alignment actually went. CBRD states that it was 250m north of the current A21, but looking at modern overhead imagery there is very little evidence to suggest that a road could have been there. I’ve attached a map with two lines (shown in pink and blue) depicting possible routes I guess it could have taken, so it would be good if you could describe its actual route based on my projections.

Also, what type of Junction was planned for the eastern terminus of the original alignment?
Attachments
A46FDAF3-F617-4785-ACD3-F712FA0C5131.jpeg
RichardA35
Elected Committee Member

Re: What was the original planned alignment for the A21 Sevenoaks bypass?

Post by RichardA35 »

BGS borehole viewer is your friend in these sorts of cases - click on the borehole scans and zoom in although beware of other linear alignment features such as sewers etc
sevenoaks.jpg
Telstarbox

Post by Telstarbox »

Not a geology fan but that is class 👏👏
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

Richard's BGS map shows the line perfectly. The original alignment re-joined the present where the road turns south again, and from there it was again as built. The only realigned section was through that double bend, so no junction changes were necessary.
jervi

Post by jervi »

The BGS site is great. You can even see exactly where the M23 was going to blast through London!
Nathan_A_RF

Post by Nathan_A_RF »

I walked footpaths around the abandoned section a while ago to see if there was any trace of the old road but there is no hint at all apart from some odd treelines only visible from above.