M90 Junction 6

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

JoshBostock01

M90 Junction 6

Post by JoshBostock01 »

So I am a regular user of the M90 and this is a something that I have noticed.

It’s junctions are named after nearby settlements or roads. Junction 1C (The Inverkeithing/Rosyth one to most drivers) is called “Admiralty” after Admiralty Road). Juction 2/2a which is the “Dunfermline/Retail Park one” is called Halbeath. Junction 4 (The “Kelty one”) is called Cocklaw. This naming system is continued for the entire road, excluding the newly built southern extension with one exception, junction 6.

Junction 6 serves Kinross and the A977/A922. If we use the naming rules seen elsewhere it would be called either Balado or possibly Springfield (after the nearby Springfield Road). However, the junction is actually called Kinross which goes against every other junction name on the road!

Does anyone actually know why this is? Most people won’t care I’m sure but it’s definitely interesting to me!

Was Kinross just the name given to it or was it supposed to be named something else?
djw1981

Re: M90 Junction 6

Post by djw1981 »

J6 is closer to Kinross than Balado though. I assume the naming further down was to help direct traffic for Dunfermline to split via J2 A823(M) and J3 A907 for the South and North respecitvely - so people would already know they needed the pitreavie road or the halbeath road into the tiown and naming the junction after the road helps?

M8 has something similar - between conurbations it names junctions after nearby settlements,. Within Glasgow they are named after the intersecting or adjacent road.
IAN

Post by IAN »

This ancient thread may be of interest.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2374
AKA M5 Driver
Was92now625

Post by Was92now625 »

IAN wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 23:45 This ancient thread may be of interest.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2374
Is this a record on SABRE for how ancient a thread has been referred to ?
stuzer

Post by stuzer »

It is a bit strange. However, I'm pretty sure I've seen Junction 4 referred to in the past as "The Kelty Interchange". I remember this as I was living in England at the time and heard it on the Radio 2 Travel roundup and it was the first time I'd ever heard it called this despite living in Kelty for 20 odd years before moving down south. When I next visited my folks, I'm certain I saw "Kelty Interchange" somewhere, either on a Variable Message sign or on the Junction sign itself, and in the last 5 or so years I'm also fairly sure I've heard it called "Clentry" (which is the name of a farm nearby and also the nursey I went to some 35 years ago!) but recently I've only heard/seen it called "Cocklaw". I had to look up the name of Junction 5 - Gairneybridge - as I've always just called that the Crook of Devon junction. Even as someone who grew up in that area and who has now returned to Fife, if I saw/heard that there was an accident at the Gairneybridge junction of the M90 I wouldn't have the foggiest as to where it was. Is there a way of finding out where these names were decided and if they have indeed been changed over the years?
Uncle Buck

Post by Uncle Buck »

How official are these names? Is it just that these are the names used by radio announcers?

Imo for announcers to use names as well as numbers is unwise and confusing- as this example shows, the name will not necessarily reflect the location in a way which everyone can understand.
JoshBostock01

Post by JoshBostock01 »

Thank you for all the replies!

I suppose that makes sense although nobody knows the junctions by their names and I’m sure “Craigend” isn’t useful for navigation purposes!

That is definitely the oldest thread that I have even seen on here! I was 2 years old then!

These names are the official names given by TS and I agree that most drivers wouldn’t have a clue to their names (This is the region where a dual carriageway with single lane sections with roundabouts is referred to as “The Motorway”). I have seen variable message signs refer to Arlary in the past.