Surviving AA boxes

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Surviving AA boxes

Post by c2R »

Following on from this BBC article about this listing of box 161: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-54585748

We list 18 of the boxes here, along with the listing status for them, where listed. However, our page, and the article state that 21 boxes remain
https://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/wiki/ind ... _telephone

Does anyone know where the other three are, so that we can complete the list?
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps

From the SABRE Wiki: Motoring organisation telephone :

Motoring organisation telephones are telephones at the roadside which were installed by the motoring organisations the AA and the RAC.

AA phone Glen Dye Box.jpg

The AA installed the first roadside sentry boxes in 1911, they were originally to provide shelter for their patrols who travelled on bicycles, and later motorbikes, while they were out on the road. They had phones installed to allow patrols to contact base.

In around 1920 members were

... Read More
Uncle Buck

Re: Surviving AA boxes

Post by Uncle Buck »

I recently read Peter Hennessey’s “Winds of Change” about Britain in the early Sixties, which contained an interesting snippet about these boxes. At this time, of course, mobile phones had not been invented. What, then, was to happen if, due to the Cold War tensions of the day, the prime minister decided to order the dropping of one of Britain’s new nuclear weapons? The answer: the ministerial limousine had an AA and an RAC key and this would be used to unlock the nearest box!

Even more surreal; the limousine was to have plenty of change, in case a pay phone had to be used; civil servants envisaged a nightmare scenario where a prime minister ran up to a pay phone, didn’t have change, went into a shop to break a note, and an officious shop assistant refused to break it! Some way for the world to end!
WHBM

Post by WHBM »

Did the civil servants not notice that the AA and the RAC keys were actually the same ? :)
RichardA626

Post by RichardA626 »

WHBM wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 15:11 Did the civil servants not notice that the AA and the RAC keys were actually the same ? :)
Yale managed to save a bit of development money there!
Beware of the trickster on the roof
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

I've been trying to track down the others... and a few are in museums:
1x in Glasgow, 2x in Bromsgrove, 1x in the Ulster Folk museum

Then there's one that has been moved from Yorkshire to Haddenham, another that has been moved from the Thicket to Eastbourne Seafront, and another that has ended up in a garden in Sleaford.
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
WHBM

Post by WHBM »

The yellow/black AA boxes seem to have been much more of a survivor than the comparable blue/white RAC boxes. I believe they both had some internal agreement to provide equal numbers of them.
Uncle Buck

Post by Uncle Buck »

RichardA626 wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 22:01
WHBM wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 15:11 Did the civil servants not notice that the AA and the RAC keys were actually the same ? :)
Yale managed to save a bit of development money there!
😂😂😂
eifion

Post by eifion »

Another forum I'm a member of tried to get its members to photograph each remaining AA box and published a list of 19. The one they listed that isn't on the Wiki here is 687 Trinity, Jersey: at junction of Rue du Presbytere and Rue des Picots, Trinity.
Glen
Social Media Admin

Post by Glen »

The figure of 21 has appeared in a few news articles on BBC News and other sites, which is why I included it when I wrote the wiki page.
But the list I compiled was by trawling through the likes of Geograph and Flickr and any other sites that mentioned AA boxes, and I couldn't find evidence of any others that weren't in museums or private collections.
nick_dunn

Post by nick_dunn »

c2R wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 08:51 I've been trying to track down the others... and a few are in museums:

Then there's one that has been moved from Yorkshire to Haddenham, another that has been moved from the Thicket to Eastbourne Seafront, and another that has ended up in a garden in Sleaford.
There is one in the Cotswold Motoring Museum at Boughton-on-the-Water. Rather annoyingly, I failed to photograph it on any of my visits and the only photo I can find online has the box number partially obscured. The first two digits are 59 and my best guess is that it may be 592 which according to the AA website list was on the Oxford by-pass and the closest to the museum.
Big Nick

Post by Big Nick »

Box 374 from Maerdy was in the Coventry Motor Museum when I went there in November 2008, next to an AA Landrover.

Box 553 from Newby Bridge was in the Lakeland Motor Museum in September 2014.

A little bit rarer is the RAC box 171 from Chelston, seen in the museum at Gaydon in 2009.
WHBM

Post by WHBM »

Did anyone here ever go inside one of these boxes ? What were they like ? Notable there were no windows.
Ruperts Trooper

Post by Ruperts Trooper »

WHBM wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 01:18 Did anyone here ever go inside one of these boxes ? What were they like ? Notable there were no windows.
My father was an AA patrolman, in the days of motorbike and sidebox - AFAIK there was a conventional phone box inside, with buttons A/B and a small money box with coins to operate the phone to call the rescue centre.
Lifelong motorhead
sydneynick

Post by sydneynick »

WHBM wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 01:18 Did anyone here ever go inside one of these boxes ? What were they like ? Notable there were no windows.
They were much bigger inside than they were outside.

To give a serious answer, you did not really go into them. You opened the door and used the phone. In the picture of RAC box 171, you can see that only the top half of the door opened.
I can always tell if politicians are lying. Their lips move.
Octaviadriver

Post by Octaviadriver »

This is the AA box on the A470 at Storey Arms, Powys in the winter of 1962/63. I can't remember seeing up there, so I don't know when it disappeared.

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/435160382730083819/
RichardA626

Post by RichardA626 »

Police Boxes usually had an opening panel in the door for the public to access the phone, but normally only the police could fully open them.
Beware of the trickster on the roof
Ronnie

Post by Ronnie »

c2R wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 08:51 I've been trying to track down the others... and a few are in museums:

There is one on display in the Grampian Transport Museum at Alford in Scotland. Box 739 according the photo on my phone.
Isleworth1961

Post by Isleworth1961 »

sydneynick wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:15 In the picture of RAC box 171, you can see that only the top half of the door opened.
But both the top and bottom parts of the door appear to have hinges.
Glen
Social Media Admin

Post by Glen »

In their latter years they simply contained a phone which had the options of connecting to the AA, RAC or 999.

dr hue

Post by dr hue »

My first post on Sabre.

I remember the box near Cadnam and one near Bagshot and still have my RAC key.

Inside of RAC box 335:
RAC_inside_335.png
I am trying to find any drawings or details of the measurements of these boxes. I know there are at least 3 in museums.

I've updated details on the following page:

https://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/wiki/ind ... _telephone
Last edited by dr hue on Fri Aug 26, 2022 12:05, edited 2 times in total.

From the SABRE Wiki: Motoring organisation telephone :

Motoring organisation telephones are telephones at the roadside which were installed by the motoring organisations the AA and the RAC.

AA phone Glen Dye Box.jpg

The AA installed the first roadside sentry boxes in 1911, they were originally to provide shelter for their patrols who travelled on bicycles, and later motorbikes, while they were out on the road. They had phones installed to allow patrols to contact base.

In around 1920 members were

... Read More