BBC Rewind: Northern Ireland

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

A42_Sparks

Re: BBC Rewind: Northern Ireland

Post by A42_Sparks »

Bryn666 wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 15:22 Red did and still does mean temporary diversion of alignment.
Thanks. The red chevrons at M2 j10 lasted 41 years. At the time, they were probably expecting completion before 1980.
AndyB
Elected Committee Member

Post by AndyB »

In the case of what is now the diverted Liminary Road, it was was rather untemporary ;)
Col2006

Post by Col2006 »

Red-backed chevrons were intact on the stubs of Roundabout 6 on the A27 in the Mandeville sector of Craigavon in the early 1990s.

While subsequent residential development means one set of stubs is now utilised, the still-unused ones on the opposite side are now adorned with smaller black-backed chevrons.

An interesting use of red-backed chevrons could be found (at least 10 years ago) on the River Erne at Enniskillen as you approach Portora Lock to divert passage.
AndyB
Elected Committee Member

Post by AndyB »

Bryn will keep us right on this, but I think the intention was that "temporary" red signs would only be used during road works, black signs to be used where there was no immediate plan to use the stubs - so the red signs on what is now Liminary Road, Craigavon Roundabout 6 (also known as the sixth chance to change your mind and go back) and the M20 were all incorrect, because when M20 J9-11 opened in 1981, there was no imminent plan to construct J8-9 which was opened ten years later.
Col2006

Post by Col2006 »

AndyB wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 17:01 (also known as the sixth chance to change your mind and go back)
What has Portadown ever done to you?!

Mind you, if you're heading the other way, it's your third chance to avoid Lurgan.
AndyB
Elected Committee Member

Post by AndyB »

That's the best thing about the joke - it works both directions!

I used to date a girl from Portadown. We did dance classes in Lurgan Town Hall.

They were good times, not as good as with my wife, but of course the other joke is why would you go through Craigavon other than to go to Rushmere?
Col2006

Post by Col2006 »

My Dad used to work at Craigavon Area Hospital.

When we first moved to Lurgan, in the vicinity of M1 J10, I'd go often with my Mum to pick him up from work, and we'd do all eight roundabouts, there and back, until we realised the true purpose of the M12...

...it cut our travelling time almost in half!

In recent times, when my Dad has cause to go to Rushmere, he takes the M12 and Northway to avoid Lurgan and the roundabouts completely.
bothar

Post by bothar »

"I intend to always travel a different road"
Ibn Battuta 1304-1368
bothar

Post by bothar »

This series might be of interest

Ibn Battuta 1304-1368
bothar

Post by bothar »

Perhaps this has been posted before, although not this actual link. I imagine that it refers to the construction of Western section of the NI M1 between 1960 and 1964.

Ibn Battuta 1304-1368