Highways England rebrand accused of being an 'offensive' waste of £7m

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

cb a1

Re: Highways England rebrand accused of being an 'offensive' waste of £7m

Post by cb a1 »

trickstat wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:56While I agree that technically HS England would be more correct, I think this comes down to recognition. As a set of initials pretty much everyone knows what NHS stands for, while HS could stand for High Speed, Highways Scotland, Hawker Siddeley etc etc.
[pedant]There are no Highways in Scotland, so technically that one disnae work.[/pedant] :wink:
Education makes the wise slightly wiser, but it makes the fool vastly more dangerous. N. Taleb
We tend to demand impossible standards of proof from our opponents but accept any old rubbish to support our beliefs.
The human paradox that is common sense
The Backfire Effect
booshank

Post by booshank »

trickstat wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:56
WHBM wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:23 Highways England ungrammatical ?

A good number of the airlines in the world seem to have longstanding two word names, the medium followed by the country. Air France, Air Canada, Air New Zealand, etc.

Then we have NHS England, much in the news at the moment which must delight the PR agency that thought it up. To me this seems an oxymoron, the N is for National, presumably of Britain, then it qualifies it down to just England. Surely it should be HS England ?
While I agree that technically HS England would be more correct, I think this comes down to recognition. As a set of initials pretty much everyone knows what NHS stands for, while HS could stand for High Speed, Highways Scotland, Hawker Siddeley etc etc.
"National Health Service" is the name of the organisation, not just a description of it, so I don't think it would be logical to modify it in that way.
trickstat

Post by trickstat »

cb a1 wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 13:19
trickstat wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:56While I agree that technically HS England would be more correct, I think this comes down to recognition. As a set of initials pretty much everyone knows what NHS stands for, while HS could stand for High Speed, Highways Scotland, Hawker Siddeley etc etc.
[pedant]There are no Highways in Scotland, so technically that one disnae work.[/pedant] :wink:
Just High Roads and Low Roads! :wink:
Nwallace

Post by Nwallace »

WHBM wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:23 Highways England ungrammatical ?

A good number of the airlines in the world seem to have longstanding two word names, the medium followed by the country. Air France, Air Canada, Air New Zealand, etc.

Then we have NHS England, much in the news at the moment which must delight the PR agency that thought it up. To me this seems an oxymoron, the N is for National, presumably of Britain, then it qualifies it down to just England. Surely it should be HS England ?
It's the Four Nation approach; the UK Government decides something needs done and then the 4 Secretary of States go off and define their version of it with three of them coming up with the same name followed by "oh we'd better add a qualifier to it".

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/19 ... 027_en.pdf
orudge
Site Manager

Post by orudge »

Although at times it would be helpful if the UK government were to refer to “NHS England” more explicitly rather than just “the NHS”, which often doesn’t apply to Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.
Ruperts Trooper

Post by Ruperts Trooper »

orudge wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 09:45 Although at times it would be helpful if the UK government were to refer to “NHS England” more explicitly rather than just “the NHS”, which often doesn’t apply to Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.
That's the rub - there's no clear distinction between Government UK and Government England
Lifelong motorhead
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

Ruperts Trooper wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 09:49
orudge wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 09:45 Although at times it would be helpful if the UK government were to refer to “NHS England” more explicitly rather than just “the NHS”, which often doesn’t apply to Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.
That's the rub - there's no clear distinction between Government UK and Government England
But England doesn't have a devolved government so there is only the UK Government...
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
Ruperts Trooper

Post by Ruperts Trooper »

c2R wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 09:53
Ruperts Trooper wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 09:49
But England doesn't have a devolved government so there is only the UK Government...
We all know why - I'm not sure if politicians can't tell the difference between matters affecting only England and those affecting the whole of the UK - or maybe it's a deliberate strategy to confuse.
Lifelong motorhead
Glen
Social Media Admin

Post by Glen »

WHBM wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:23 Then we have NHS England, much in the news at the moment which must delight the PR agency that thought it up. To me this seems an oxymoron, the N is for National, presumably of Britain, then it qualifies it down to just England. Surely it should be HS England ?
The NHS has never been a single organisation for the UK. Since it was founded it has been four separate organisations for the nations of the UK, it's merely the concept of universal healthcare that's national.

In the past it was all referred to as "the NHS", but since administration has passed to the devolved government there have been separate names and branding for NHS Scotland, NHS Wales and HSC.