Surely this needs zig-zags?

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Skipsy

Surely this needs zig-zags?

Post by Skipsy »

This pedestrian crossing on Kingston Road, Merton lacks any zig-zags, and I only recently thought about this peculiarity.
Is there supposed to be zig-zags?

https://www.google.com/maps/@51.4105032 ... 92!5m1!1e1
trickstat

Re: Surely this needs zig-zags?

Post by trickstat »

Does it not need them because there are double yellow lines? Although I think there are examples where the double yellows end and zig-zags start.
DB617

Post by DB617 »

trickstat wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 18:41 Does it not need them because there are double yellow lines? Although I think there are examples where the double yellows end and zig-zags start.
Don't zig zags also prohibit overtaking?
trickstat

Post by trickstat »

DB617 wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 20:30
trickstat wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 18:41 Does it not need them because there are double yellow lines? Although I think there are examples where the double yellows end and zig-zags start.
I think they do, not that anyone should even be contemplating such a manoeuvre that close to a crossing.
doebag

Post by doebag »

DB617 wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 20:30
The vehicle nearest to the crossing not all those in the zigzag area.
But yes I would have thought there should be some.
fras

Post by fras »

Having looked at the GSV view, there are double-yellow lines and also double kerb blips, so this almost matches the zig-zag restriction, except that the board/alight passengers exemption still applies, but waiting and loading is barred. To be honest, I would think what is there is enough to keep the view of the crossing clear.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

It isn't a Section 25 Crossing as per RTRA 1984 and TSRGD as it lacks the mandatory controlled area.

Zig-zags at signal controlled pedestrian crossings have been a requirement since at the very latest 1997.

This is functionally a signal controlled junction with no side roads, there's nothing to prevent stopping, overtaking, or any of the provisions of Section 25 as a result.

My money is the crossing is ancient, and has been upgraded like for like. The ASLs are now permitted in TSRGD so it's not even like they can use that as an excuse any more.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

I preferred zigzags only on pelicans and zebras. Part of their initial function was to highlight the situation of pedestrian precidence whilst motorists could also proceed if clear.

Hong Kong doesn't have pelican crossings, just normal lights or zebras. Zigzags only appear on zebras and it really helps them stand out, as the zigzags are consequently not as common as here.

I also know of at least a couple of locations locally where zigzags have been put in on a signalised offset crossing on the leaving arm of a junction.
jervi

Post by jervi »

Gareth wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 15:49 I also know of at least a couple of locations locally where zigzags have been put in on a signalised offset crossing on the leaving arm of a junction.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.23027 ... 312!8i6656
Should there, or should there not be zig zags at an offset crossing?
traffic-light-man

Post by traffic-light-man »

jervi wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 16:52 https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.23027 ... 312!8i6656
Should there, or should there not be zig zags at an offset crossing?
From a look around on GSV, I think that's operating as a displaced crossing, therefore I don't believe they need zig-zigs as they're still under the control of the main junction.
Simon
WhiteBlueRed

Post by WhiteBlueRed »

Slightly off-topic, but I've always wondered what is the point of the zig-zags after pedestrian crossings on one-way roads and roads with central reservations. Parking on these zig-zags will not block the visibility of pedestrians.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

WhiteBlueRed wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 08:13 Slightly off-topic, but I've always wondered what is the point of the zig-zags after pedestrian crossings on one-way roads and roads with central reservations. Parking on these zig-zags will not block the visibility of pedestrians.
I tend to use the minimum length leaving a crossing in such situations, the only reason you'd use the longer lengths is to prohibit overtaking and stopping on the leaving side for traffic flow purposes (e.g. to stop blocking back over the crossing).
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
traffic-light-man

Bryn666 wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 10:40I tend to use the minimum length leaving a crossing in such situations, the only reason you'd use the longer lengths is to prohibit overtaking and stopping on the leaving side for traffic flow purposes (e.g. to stop blocking back over the crossing).
This one always strikes me as a bit backwards, with minimum on the approach (and only two on the opposite one) and a full set on the exit.
Simon
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

traffic-light-man wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 21:48
Bryn666 wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 10:40I tend to use the minimum length leaving a crossing in such situations, the only reason you'd use the longer lengths is to prohibit overtaking and stopping on the leaving side for traffic flow purposes (e.g. to stop blocking back over the crossing).
This one always strikes me as a bit backwards, with minimum on the approach (and only two on the opposite one) and a full set on the exit.
It look like like you can't combine zig-zags with a yellow box marking.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
tom66

Post by tom66 »

traffic-light-man wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 21:48
Since stopping, and therefore parking, in a yellow box is illegal does it not have at least as much effect as having zig-zags? That said, it doesn't prohibit overtaking, though the zig-zag line down the centre seems like it would have sufficient legal effect.
traffic-light-man

Chris Bertram wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 22:17 It look like like you can't combine zig-zags with a yellow box marking.
Correct, there's a restriction on signage allowed within the controlled zone.

The opposite approach is short as well owing to the bus stop (not an ideal place for either, really).

Up by UCLan in Preston, there are a bunch of crossings all of which use the minimum, which was an aesthetic thing as far as I know, being in the shared-space-vibe-but-not-quite area.
Simon
MotorwayGuy

Post by MotorwayGuy »

This crossing never had zig-zags until recently. Strangely they appeared shortly after I posted about it on here!