A595 Grizebeck, Cumbria - Improvements

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

A303Chris

A595 Grizebeck, Cumbria - Improvements

Post by A303Chris »

The Government has given Cumbria CC a substantial sum to progress this improvement, but when I read the DfT press release referring to single carriageway roads running through farms, I thought it may be sensational.

However after looking at Streetview, I now see what they mean!!! Is there any primary road in England, narrower for such a long length as here, no wonder there is congestion.

DfT Press Release

Cumbria CC Scheme Page
The M25 - The road to nowhere
Rob590

Re: A595 Grizebeck, Cumbria - Improvements

Post by Rob590 »

It's a welcome step in improving the road. The farmyard itself is a narrow point though the lane along which the road runs between Kirkby-in-Furness and Grizebeck is pretty narrow throughout. Basically, it's not a case of removing the farmyard to finish the job of creating a good S2 route!

What it will stop is the semi-frequent blocking of the route that happens when a couple of wider vehicles get stuck there, or there's some sort of bump and scrape between passing vehicles. So it will make journeys more reliable, but the A595 remains very narrow and windy for much of the route between the Rivers Duddon and Esk in particualr. It's not going to suddenly transform this into a well-used high-qualtiy route, though there's serious questions about whether that'd be worthwhile given the cost and the landscape invovled.

Benefit will be most noticed by people travelling between the Duddon Valley and Furness, and may open up the commuting market a bit more there.
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

It would be overstating matters to call it a cart track as things stand. This looks like the tightest spot. Can't be fun for the farmer, let alone people trying to get through it.
fras

Post by fras »

Its incredible to still find 'A' roads like this in the UK, but no doubt there are plenty of others ! I wouldn't like to be the farmer there.
XC70

Post by XC70 »

It also mentions a billion to dual the A66?
Glenn A

Post by Glenn A »

I know this stretch of road well, you have the high quality S2 out of Barrow and the Dalton by pass, and then the A595 starts and things go back decades. However, a more extravagant suggestion in the early nineties was to build a bridge over the Duddon estuary to replace the A595.
Rob590

Post by Rob590 »

The scheme page now has a fly-through video, also on Youtube here. Dove Ford is the farm that the current A595 passes through. A few not-particularly-road-related thoughts on the video:

[*] The new road is a cut into "Pen Hill". Pen Hill = Hill Hill?
[*] I'm not sure where the dozens of pedestrians on the simulation are meant to be walking to/from?
[*] The outline of Scafell/Scafell Pike in the distance is impressively realistic!
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Rob590 wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 13:11 The scheme page now has a fly-through video, also on Youtube here. Dove Ford is the farm that the current A595 passes through. A few not-particularly-road-related thoughts on the video:

[*] The new road is a cut into "Pen Hill". Pen Hill = Hill Hill?
[*] I'm not sure where the dozens of pedestrians on the simulation are meant to be walking to/from?
[*] The outline of Scafell/Scafell Pike in the distance is impressively realistic!
At least they've actually considered pedestrians and cyclists exist for once.

I'm surprised by the use of a T-junction at the end of what will be a very fast stretch of road, would've expected a roundabout here. All in all looks a decent little scheme, get it built.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
A303Chris

Post by A303Chris »

Bryn666 wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 13:28 I'm surprised by the use of a T-junction at the end of what will be a very fast stretch of road, would've expected a roundabout here. All in all looks a decent little scheme, get it built.
That will change when the safety auditors have had a look, probably end up being 50mph as is the case with Arborfield bypass just opened on the A327.
The M25 - The road to nowhere
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

Rob590 wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 13:11 [*] The new road is a cut into "Pen Hill". Pen Hill = Hill Hill?
As in Bredon Hill (Worcs) = Hillhill Hill, or
Breedon-on-the-Hill (Leics) = Hillhill-on-the-Hill.

Or Bree Hill (near the Chetwood) in The Lord of the Rings.
multiraider2

Post by multiraider2 »

Torpenhow Hill, Plymouth or was supposed to be one in Cumbria, but has been debunked now I think, but would otherwise be Hill Hill Hill Hill. Sorry for thread drift.

Ok drift not draft.
Last edited by multiraider2 on Fri Jun 25, 2021 17:09, edited 1 time in total.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

wrinkly wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 14:17
Rob590 wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 13:11 [*] The new road is a cut into "Pen Hill". Pen Hill = Hill Hill?
As in Bredon Hill (Worcs) = Hillhill Hill, or
Breedon-on-the-Hill (Leics) = Hillhill-on-the-Hill.

Or Bree Hill (near the Chetwood) in The Lord of the Rings.
But will the new road help Pat get to Pencaster quicker?
Bryn

Glenn A

Post by Glenn A »

There are some poor stretches of road in the Barrow and Furness area. Improving this section of the A595 is imperative as it is completely unacceptable, but the A590 from the roundabout with the A595 to Greenodd is quite poor in places and for years, local authorities have demanded the road is dualled completely to Greenodd and Ulverston by passed.
Norfolktolancashire

Post by Norfolktolancashire »

The video is of good quality, although there is a lot more pedestrians and cyclists than usual in the area ( I know I know, it is for illustrative purposes :lol: )

Have roundabouts gone out of favour for junctions these days?
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Norfolktolancashire wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 13:39 The video is of good quality, although there is a lot more pedestrians and cyclists than usual in the area ( I know I know, it is for illustrative purposes :lol: )

Have roundabouts gone out of favour for junctions these days?
I'm not aware they have, certainly sustainable safety principles wouldn't allow a massive T-junction on two NSL roads to be built from scratch.

This is why the A890 ends at a roundabout at Achnasheen despite traffic volumes not "warranting" it. Safety warrants it, that outranks traffic volumes.
Bryn

Glenn A

Post by Glenn A »

A better scheme than merely by passing the farm and is 1km( 0.6 miles) of high quality S2. I wonder if a by pass of Ireleth and Askam would be the next logical step.
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

Glenn A wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 16:11 I wonder if a by pass of Ireleth and Askam would be the next logical step.
Yes, it's another appalling section at present. I imagine the obvious route would be to continue straight ahead alongside the railway where the present A595 turns sharp right (going north) at Askham station, a mile or two north of the junction with the Dalton bypass.