Are there any surviving pre-mellor signals about?

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Skipsy

Are there any surviving pre-mellor signals about?

Post by Skipsy »

I believe there is one somewhere on the Isle of Wight (or a different island, can't remember exactly).
Considering mellors are being gradually replaced and becoming rarer, older ones must be even rarer?
Chris Bertram

Re: Are there any surviving pre-mellor signals about?

Post by Chris Bertram »

Skipsy wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 22:11 I believe there is one somewhere on the Isle of Wight (or a different island, can't remember exactly).
Considering mellors are being gradually replaced and becoming rarer, older ones must be even rarer?
You're probably thinking of the two-lamp (RG) tin lanterns controlling the access road to the car park at Carisbrooke Castle. I'm not sure that they're on a public road at that point, though the road up to them is a B road. There's also some two-lamp RG SGE signals controlling the access road to Dover Castle. These are definitely not on a public road.

More recently, I spotted this two-lamp RG signal regulating access along a narrow street in Dartmouth at the slipway to the Lower Ferry. This, however, looks like a much more modern model, possibly a Safelite. There is no corresponding signal at the other end, traffic has to be allowed to leave the ferry unimpeded.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!