A1(M) Moto MSA near Ripon rejected

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Re: A1(M) Moto MSA near Ripon rejected

Post by Bryn666 »

stu531 wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:02 As you'd imagine there's quite a bit of local dissent, but there is support for it too. Here's a report from our other local news source.

Why I think this is right (and what's reflected in what Nick's saying) is that, the area around here (Dishforth-Aberford) is a kind of 'hour away' from Newcastle and Manchester. In other words, it's appropriate for a toilet stop or bite. It makes sense to have alternatives in this area. Wetherby is often jam-packed; conversely, Leeming is quite a bit away from the carriageway. Boroughbridge (which has a couple of decent coffee shops now) is probably the only reasonable alternative in the area.
Speaking today, committee member councillor Pat Marsh said she was "angry and saddened" for campaigners who had done "all they can" to fight the proposals.

She added: "I can't get my head around why there is a need to spoil the countryside when there are already enough service stations in the area.
Where are they then? I'd love to know. Tea rooms in Aldborough?
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
the cheesecake man

Post by the cheesecake man »

stu531 wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:02 Leeming is quite a bit away from the carriageway
Isn't that because the junction was removed in the motorway upgrade rather than because anyone decided it was a good place to put it? Maybe rebuilding that junction to allow direct access from the A1(M) would be more sensible than building a new service area?
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

the cheesecake man wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 13:29
stu531 wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:02 Leeming is quite a bit away from the carriageway
Isn't that because the junction was removed in the motorway upgrade rather than because anyone decided it was a good place to put it? Maybe rebuilding that junction to allow direct access from the A1(M) would be more sensible than building a new service area?
It was always intended the A684 Bedale Bypass would link to the A1(M) further north, putting a junction here undermines the point of building the bypass. Leeming is too constrained as a site to be a viable MSA, hence why it is signed as 'rest area', like Todhills.

The OS actually shows the Coneygarth truckstop as a full blown MSA, which is a mistake. It is a much bigger facility than Leeming.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

The A1(M) junction at Leeming was sited to fit with the new alignment of the the A684, bypassing Bedale, Aiskew and Leeming Bar. It would be a bit daft to move it back, even if there was a plausible layout.

- Bryn has beaten me to it.
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

This will probably be the last nail in the coffin for Leeming Bar services. As others have said, it's undersized for today's needs, and with it being hard to access, its custom has already dropped substantially, with parts of it being closed, and it's not been at all busy on the last couple of times I've gone that way.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
Hdeng16

Post by Hdeng16 »

Chris5156 wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 15:40 Very good to see an MSA with its own access point and not tacked on to a junction. Very sensible and it will be repaid in time, even if the setup costs are higher.

I rather like that the diversion of the Leeming Lane LAR puts it back on its historic course for a short distance NE of the new junction!
The original 270 mis-shapen 'loop' for the "main" route from Ripon to A1 South I think isn't it?

During construction, the connection to Ripon was oddly kept open seemingly at all costs, which meant some really extreme temporary diversions around the new motorway build. I seem to remember an hairpin zig-zag up to the bridge being built at one point west of the main line.
Rob590

Post by Rob590 »

Chris Bertram wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 14:19 This will probably be the last nail in the coffin for Leeming Bar services. As others have said, it's undersized for today's needs, and with it being hard to access, its custom has already dropped substantially, with parts of it being closed, and it's not been at all busy on the last couple of times I've gone that way.
I must admit I now quite like Leeming, if all I need is a quick loo-stop. It feels more of a hassle to get to because it's half a mile off the motorway but you gain a good chunk of that back in how quick it is to use it, due to limited size. Contrast that to the time it can take to get in and out of Wetherby Services or Boroughbridge Morrisons and I'd suspect that Leeming is not actually as inconvenient as it feels. Do wonder if it can survive though!
the cheesecake man

Post by the cheesecake man »

Rob590 wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:29 Do wonder if it can survive though!
I doubt it very much. I used it once when I was leaving the A1(M) there anyway to go to Hawes, but I really really doubt I'd whizz past it on the A1(M) and still be thinking "yeah I'll go all that way back" when I get to the junction. Perhaps a bit more forward planning would have been sensible. For example by providing direct access from the A1(M) to the services in a car park physically separated from the A road access to prevent an unofficial junction, or building the junction and the bypass at that point. :coat: