A421 dualling to M1

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

SteveA30

A421 dualling to M1

Post by SteveA30 »

I may have missed a mention of this somewhere else on here but, the missing bit up to the M1 from MK is now open, creating a dualled A421 from A1 to a point west of MK. This just leaves the small matter of 15 rbts in the MK area, one of which is signalled.
Roads and holidays in the west, before motorways.
http://trektothewest.shutterfly.com
http://holidayroads.webs.com/
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Re: A421 dualling to M1

Post by c2R »

SteveA30 wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:46 I may have missed a mention of this somewhere else on here but, the missing bit up to the M1 from MK is now open, creating a dualled A421 from A1 to a point west of MK. This just leaves the small matter of 15 rbts in the MK area, one of which is signalled.
That's good news, although I've a suspicion that it will make traffic on the bodge of a M1 J13 junction much worse... but that's a project for another day.
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
roadtester

Post by roadtester »

More information/discussion here.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=34981

I was there about a week or two and it really is pretty impressive compared with the old SC link of several years ago.

I suppose it might come to be seen as a bit lavish if the A421 mainline takes a different route heading towards Oxford in the long run, but probably worth it just to improve access to MK anyway, I'd have thought.
Electrophorus Electricus

Check out #davidsdailycar on Mastodon
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

I suspect it will facilitate the building of additional houses and tin sheds beyond those being built at Eagle Farm
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
Hdeng16

Post by Hdeng16 »

c2R wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 14:17 I suspect it will facilitate the building of additional houses and tin sheds beyond those being built at Eagle Farm
The road north parallel to the motorway past John lewis looked nearly ready to open too.
Hdeng16

Post by Hdeng16 »

c2R wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:56
SteveA30 wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:46 I may have missed a mention of this somewhere else on here but, the missing bit up to the M1 from MK is now open, creating a dualled A421 from A1 to a point west of MK. This just leaves the small matter of 15 rbts in the MK area, one of which is signalled.
That's good news, although I've a suspicion that it will make traffic on the bodge of a M1 J13 junction much worse... but that's a project for another day.
It is a bodge, but was built with this dualing in mind.
jackal

Post by jackal »

Good to see this - a very solid improvement with (perhaps surprisingly) no new roundabouts or other at-grade junctions.
Hdeng16 wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 14:33
But presumably they have not opened the infamous 'jet lane' so it remains an unofficial rest and defecation area?
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

jackal wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 15:32 Good to see this - a very solid improvement with (perhaps surprisingly) no new roundabouts or other at-grade junctions.
Hdeng16 wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 14:33

But presumably they have not opened the infamous 'jet lane' so it remains an unofficial rest and defecation area?
Bet you a quid it stays as derelict as the identical one on the A683 has. Makes you wonder why they're in DMRB as an option if no-one wants to open them.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
SteveA30

Post by SteveA30 »

As I joined the new D2 from the Bedford direction in the dark and lashing rain, with lane markings difficult to see, I was puzzled by a van coming in from the left, so I guess that was the jet lane. Is that an 'insider' word? :)
Roads and holidays in the west, before motorways.
http://trektothewest.shutterfly.com
http://holidayroads.webs.com/
jackal

Post by jackal »

If they have opened it, bravo. The dualling plans showed it unchanged.
Bryn666 wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 16:23 Bet you a quid it stays as derelict as the identical one on the A683 has. Makes you wonder why they're in DMRB as an option if no-one wants to open them.
A closed jet lane on a pointless quasi-GSJ roundabout - the pinnacle of British highway engineering.
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

SteveA30 wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 17:55 As I joined the new D2 from the Bedford direction in the dark and lashing rain, with lane markings difficult to see, I was puzzled by a van coming in from the left, so I guess that was the jet lane. Is that an 'insider' word? :)
Last time I was down there at the J13 end there was a construction camp and it looked as if they were building an onslip from the Cranfield/Wavendon Road which flies over the A421 and M1. In fact you can see the work in progress on GSV.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.03706 ... 312!8i6656
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

KeithW wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 08:50
SteveA30 wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 17:55 As I joined the new D2 from the Bedford direction in the dark and lashing rain, with lane markings difficult to see, I was puzzled by a van coming in from the left, so I guess that was the jet lane. Is that an 'insider' word? :)
Last time I was down there at the J13 end there was a construction camp and it looked as if they were building an onslip from the Cranfield/Wavendon Road which flies over the A421 and M1. In fact you can see the work in progress on GSV.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.03706 ... 312!8i6656
I think that work was to demolish the existing bridge and build a wider one - I don't think there is any plan to build a permanent onslip there.
frediculous_biggs
President

Post by frediculous_biggs »

The "jet" lane is indeed open, and the raised tarmac between that and the roundabout had two parked lorries on it the other day
Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
jackal

Post by jackal »

frediculous_biggs wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 09:41The "jet" lane is indeed open, and the raised tarmac between that and the roundabout had two parked lorries on it the other day
Good to hear it's open. It's been a de facto rest area for years and old habits die hard.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

jackal wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 11:18
frediculous_biggs wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 09:41The "jet" lane is indeed open, and the raised tarmac between that and the roundabout had two parked lorries on it the other day
Good to hear it's open. It's been a de facto rest area for years and old habits die hard.
I owe you a quid, Jackal.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
jackal

Post by jackal »

:D
thatapanydude

Post by thatapanydude »

Great to see - I have not been to MK since the covid pandemic but I do remember the scheme being in its infancy last year so nice to see it finished.

I do remember the long slog home from MK when it was S2 from the BP garage right through to Kempston and onto Black Cat - it only feels like a few years ago but in fact its coming to 10 years since the D2 Bedford to M1 and 14 years from the Black Cat to G.Barford sections opened - how time flies !

Next step on the A421 in my opinion is the A43 to the D2 section west of Bucks and slowly extending the D2 west of MK to Bucks as well !
A1/A1(M) >>> M1
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

thatapanydude wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 22:46 Great to see - I have not been to MK since the covid pandemic but I do remember the scheme being in its infancy last year so nice to see it finished.

I do remember the long slog home from MK when it was S2 from the BP garage right through to Kempston and onto Black Cat - it only feels like a few years ago but in fact its coming to 10 years since the D2 Bedford to M1 and 14 years from the Black Cat to G.Barford sections opened - how time flies !

Next step on the A421 in my opinion is the A43 to the D2 section west of Bucks and slowly extending the D2 west of MK to Bucks as well !
That's relatively easy to the the Bottledump Roundabout , the challenge is getting rid of the the verdammt roundabouts from there to Eagle Farm. I also recall the old route heading through Great Barford which honestly usually moved fairly well , the pain was the old Woburn Road past Marston Moretaine and Brogborough.
owen b

Post by owen b »

I cycled over the A421 this afternoon on the minor road from Salford to Woburn Sands. It was good the bridge has been reopened and the dualling is fully open and free flowing. The last time I went that way the bridge was closed which resulted in a lengthy detour. I see that some OS online mapping now has this stretch dualled eg. the 1:50,000 on SABRE Maps.

I also had a brief look down at the M1 all lane running scheme. To my non-expert cursory eye it looked more or less ready, with lane one (former hard shoulder) coned off.

It's quite impressive cycling over eight lanes of M1 and four lanes of A421.

I do enjoy planning cycling routes which accidentally on purpose include places of Sabristic interest :) .
Owen
M4 Cardiff

Post by M4 Cardiff »

KeithW wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 23:37
thatapanydude wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 22:46 Great to see - I have not been to MK since the covid pandemic but I do remember the scheme being in its infancy last year so nice to see it finished.

That's relatively easy to the the Bottledump Roundabout , the challenge is getting rid of the the verdammt roundabouts from there to Eagle Farm. I also recall the old route heading through Great Barford which honestly usually moved fairly well , the pain was the old Woburn Road past Marston Moretaine and Brogborough.
Making the Buckingham Bypass a D2 would be a bit tricky, as there is development on both sides, although I agree that A43 to Finmere and Buckingham East to Bottledump would be relatively simple.
Driving thrombosis caused this accident......a clot behind the wheel.