A421 dualling to M1

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

JammyDodge

Re: A421 dualling to M1

Post by JammyDodge »

M4 Cardiff wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 23:00 Making the Buckingham Bypass a D2 would be a bit tricky, as there is development on both sides, although I agree that A43 to Finmere and Buckingham East to Bottledump would be relatively simple.
Best option would probably be to build a new alignment to the south, as HE's aim seems to be to make the A421/A428 a continuous HQDC in the very long term
I expect in the future, the A421 will be dueled to the A43 and on to the M40 heading North
Designing Tomorrow, Around the Past
Micro The Maniac

Post by Micro The Maniac »

JammyDodge wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 23:58 Best option would probably be to build a new alignment to the south, as HE's aim seems to be to make the A421/A428 a continuous HQDC in the very long term
I expect in the future, the A421 will be dueled to the A43 and on to the M40 heading North
Ah... the not OxCam (not) Expressway?
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Now the A421 has been done what the area really needs now is M1 J14 being sorted out, this is absolutely pants as a motorway access from an urban area the size of MK.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
A303Chris

Post by A303Chris »

JammyDodge wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 23:58
M4 Cardiff wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 23:00 Making the Buckingham Bypass a D2 would be a bit tricky, as there is development on both sides, although I agree that A43 to Finmere and Buckingham East to Bottledump would be relatively simple.
Best option would probably be to build a new alignment to the south, as HE's aim seems to be to make the A421/A428 a continuous HQDC in the very long term
Trouble is the A421 west of the M1 is not a HE road and is local authority controlled. Given it runs through 4 authority areas MK, Bucks, Oxon and Northants (the latter three in just 6 miles between Buckingham and the A43), and the middle two were against the expressway, well specifically the NIMBY's and the retired people living in the 50s who are the council members , I can not see much hope.

Also MK is an issue as the existing route has 15 roundabouts and it would need a new route to the south as would Buckingham. The original Buckingham purpose may have been fit for purpose but is now a residential route given the development which has occured both sides of the road.
The M25 - The road to nowhere
SteveA30

Post by SteveA30 »

Something which is happening to many bypasses across the country. New rbts for housing estates, changing the road to a local road congested with through traffic. Isn't that what bypasses are supposed to cure? I know some are not called bypasses, as a get out clause but in reality they are because the through traffic transfers to them.
Roads and holidays in the west, before motorways.
http://trektothewest.shutterfly.com
http://holidayroads.webs.com/
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

SteveA30 wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:35 Something which is happening to many bypasses across the country. New rbts for housing estates, changing the road to a local road congested with through traffic. Isn't that what bypasses are supposed to cure? I know some are not called bypasses, as a get out clause but in reality they are because the through traffic transfers to them.
(cough)Burgess Hill By-pass(cough)
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
RichardA35
Elected Committee Member

Post by RichardA35 »

SteveA30 wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:35 Something which is happening to many bypasses across the country. New rbts for housing estates, changing the road to a local road congested with through traffic. Isn't that what bypasses are supposed to cure? I know some are not called bypasses, as a get out clause but in reality they are because the through traffic transfers to them.
To be fair it has been like this for a long time. The detrunking of the 1997 New Deal for Trunk Roads placed long lengths of bypasses in the hands of local governments who did not have the strategic or even regional outlook for these roads to make much sense other than as county or local roads an developers were waiting to pounce once the opportunities were clear. In recent times the political outlook has been a focus on how many jobs or how much new housing a scheme will enable before funding is released for local road improvements. The benefit side of the equation is lower against the same costs if the enabling of housing or jobs is not included a,nd currently, politically less palatable..
The times of relieving day to day town or village centre through traffic congestion or safety schemes requiring bypasses are generally over as these have been built (with perhaps a few notable exceptions).
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

A303Chris wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:23
Trouble is the A421 west of the M1 is not a HE road and is local authority controlled. Given it runs through 4 authority areas MK, Bucks, Oxon and Northants (the latter three in just 6 miles between Buckingham and the A43), and the middle two were against the expressway, well specifically the NIMBY's and the retired people living in the 50s who are the council members , I can not see much hope.

Also MK is an issue as the existing route has 15 roundabouts and it would need a new route to the south as would Buckingham. The original Buckingham purpose may have been fit for purpose but is now a residential route given the development which has occured both sides of the road.
The A421 could be widened on-line through Milton Keynes - there's a lot of space to either side of the road, as well as space at the junctions themselves to grade separate. I don't think it would be an ideal solution - but housing appears to be sprawling in an uncontrolled manner to the south without actually having any coordinated road infrastructure being built along with it, Newton Leas being the latest example of this...!
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

I am not convinced it would be impossible to dual, yes there is development but on the southern side its mostly industrial /retail and the verges are quite wide. It lloks like it was originally S3. This is about the narrowest section.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.99100 ... 8192?hl=en
JammyDodge

Post by JammyDodge »

c2R wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:11 The A421 could be widened on-line through Milton Keynes - there's a lot of space to either side of the road, as well as space at the junctions themselves to grade separate. I don't think it would be an ideal solution - but housing appears to be sprawling in an uncontrolled manner to the south without actually having any coordinated road infrastructure being built along with it, Newton Leas being the latest example of this...!
It certainly could be grade separated through MK, with D2 flyovers and D3 in between or D2 with frontage roads (basically D4). This would reasonably require a 50 limit.
The question is, should we be building an expressway through an urban area, rather than building it around, especially when it is possible to build a new HQDC to the East from Bottledump and the M1
JammyDodge

Post by JammyDodge »

KeithW wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:46
I am not convinced it would be impossible to dual, yes there is development but on the southern side its mostly industrial /retail and the verges are quite wide. It looks like it was originally S3. This is about the narrowest section.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.99100 ... 8192?hl=en
I am in agreement that it wouldn't be impossible, but grade separation would be out of the question
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

JammyDodge wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 21:27
It certainly could be grade separated through MK, with D2 flyovers and D3 in between or D2 with frontage roads (basically D4). This would reasonably require a 50 limit.
The question is, should we be building an expressway through an urban area, rather than building it around, especially when it is possible to build a new HQDC to the East from Bottledump and the M1
The other way of looking at it is that it's not *that* urban, and building a new route to the south would likely encourage similar development to spring up around it anyway...
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
A320Driver

Post by A320Driver »

owen b wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 18:21
I also had a brief look down at the M1 all lane running scheme. To my non-expert cursory eye it looked more or less ready, with lane one (former hard shoulder) coned off.
Sadly some new signs have been erected which state that completion is scheduled for Spring 2023 now, delayed by a year!
Formerly ‘guvvaA303’
M4 Cardiff

Post by M4 Cardiff »

I guess something like the attached would be buildable, but at almost 18km would not come in cheap and the eastern junction would require a Truvelo Special to avoid it becoming a pinch point worthy of Chris' 'Bad Junctions.
Attachments
A421 Flying Pig version.JPG
Driving thrombosis caused this accident......a clot behind the wheel.
JammyDodge

Post by JammyDodge »

M4 Cardiff wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 00:00 I guess something like the attached would be buildable, but at almost 18km would not come in cheap and the eastern junction would require a Truvelo Special to avoid it becoming a pinch point worthy of Chris' 'Bad Junctions.
Certainly a good alternative to my idea, which is one further out to the east
Capture.JPG
The junction with the M1 is solvable. Mirror what is on the other side, and make it a half diamond. In future, when it is a problem, convert the interchange into the "classic british" big roundabout with too many lanes, and when that isn't enough, make it even bigger.
Joking aside, the current junction does seem well positioned to become a 3-level stacked roundabout in future, or a more elaborate design emulating J11A on the M5, with modifications