Trapped by fresh snow

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

punyXpress

Re: Trapped by fresh snow

Post by punyXpress »

" Late 60's following RAC Rally drove from Scotch Corner to Penrith at silly o'clock.
Road was covered in 4 to 6 inches of snow & didn't see another vehicle the whole way! "

" From A66 Penrith to Scotch Corner "

"This was preceded by going up Ingleby Greenhow stage when we left.
The snow mentioned above had started about 2 hours previously and the gradient 1 in 5 without a run up!
The Dunlop SP44 tyres at each corner helped somewhat"
Barkstar

Post by Barkstar »

punyXpress wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 22:03 " Late 60's following RAC Rally drove from Scotch Corner to Penrith at silly o'clock.
Road was covered in 4 to 6 inches of snow & didn't see another vehicle the whole way! "

" From A66 Penrith to Scotch Corner "

"This was preceded by going up Ingleby Greenhow stage when we left.
The snow mentioned above had started about 2 hours previously and the gradient 1 in 5 without a run up!
The Dunlop SP44 tyres at each corner helped somewhat"
On the RAC rally in the mid eighties I remember the stage at Ogre Hill, just of the A68 near the border, being cancelled because a lot of the competitors couldn't get up to the stage start - the approach road was frozen compacted snow. That was the year we drove up the M6 in a whiteout and took refuge in Kendal bus station until the ploughs had gone through.
Helvellyn

Post by Helvellyn »

More on the way tonight around my way. Looks like I might not be in work tomorrow.
darkcape

Post by darkcape »

The lads on site were half-panicking trying to cancel deliveries etc for tomorrow "in case of snow". I told them to stop being silly and continue as normal. There was heavy snow on Tuesday morning driving in which did settle a few inches on the really high spots but traffic was heavy enough it was ok.

However I've now seen Highways England warning people not to travel unless absolutely essential which is concerning me and is not the impression I had of how severe tomorrow's forecast was.
Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
OLD GIT

Post by OLD GIT »

Anyone remember the spring 1979? I had moved circa November 1978 from Middlesbrough to a job in Hillend,Fife and was travelling weekly between the two places via the A1/697 . In circa March 1979 we'd had our furniture moved up Inverkeithing put in the house and a few days later we followed suite. No problems at this time. But when we left Middlesbrough, we hit snow, getting heavier as we got out of the Tyne Tunnel, so any return was out of question. In hindsight I should have found rooms for the night and given up, but youth gives confidence. I was driving a Maxi 1750, with Cincirattos on the front, heavily laden( me+Swmbo two kids and a large dog). and a good knowledge of the route. En route ,we picked up a Transit driver, who'd found a hedge/ditch and would have been stranded. His luck that day was in. His destination was Rosyth. My regular travel time for the trip was a couple of hours at a leisurely pace. I seem to remember that night it took us circa 8 hours, having to detour as Carter Bar was closed. Possibly the driving factor was the safety of my family. I've never had problems with fresh snow. In the old RWD days we carried an old sack etc ,with string and tied it to rear bumper ( ideas for the BMW lads???) . Still ,driving in snow is as a skill that to me in this day seems lost. Even now in my high torque Derv car, I carry an old pair of car mats. Get stuck in a carpark, ?stick under front end ,drive out and either leave ,or drive out and return to pick up.
RichardA626

Post by RichardA626 »

darkcape wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 22:31 The lads on site were half-panicking trying to cancel deliveries etc for tomorrow "in case of snow". I told them to stop being silly and continue as normal. There was heavy snow on Tuesday morning driving in which did settle a few inches on the really high spots but traffic was heavy enough it was ok.

However I've now seen Highways England warning people not to travel unless absolutely essential which is concerning me and is not the impression I had of how severe tomorrow's forecast was.
I was worried as the weather forecast said snow in Manchester overnight & I'm making my first journey there since before the lockdown.

Luckily there's just been rain, so my recce for a temporary job shouldn't be affected.
Beware of the trickster on the roof
Helvellyn

Post by Helvellyn »

RichardA626 wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 09:51
darkcape wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 22:31 The lads on site were half-panicking trying to cancel deliveries etc for tomorrow "in case of snow". I told them to stop being silly and continue as normal. There was heavy snow on Tuesday morning driving in which did settle a few inches on the really high spots but traffic was heavy enough it was ok.

I was worried as the weather forecast said snow in Manchester overnight & I'm making my first journey there since before the lockdown.

Luckily there's just been rain, so my recce for a temporary job shouldn't be affected.
It's been very light snow here, a little dusting on the ground. I could've probably got in to work since I left my car up by the road but I'm not feeling that enthusiastic about it (and with the possibility of more this morning there's always getting back to think about). But basically I wimped out.
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

Helvellyn wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 09:53
It's been very light snow here, a little dusting on the ground. I could've probably got in to work since I left my car up by the road but I'm not feeling that enthusiastic about it (and with the possibility of more this morning there's always getting back to think about). But basically I wimped out.
Its a mixed picture in the North East, snow and ice warnings were issued. Some high level routes such as the A169 between Pickering and Whitby, Holme Moss and parts of West Yorkshire had heavy snow but all we got on the coastal plain was heavy rain and temperatures didn't drop below 1 deg C.
XC70

Post by XC70 »

Chris5156 wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:05
XC70 wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 09:52
Big L wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 21:03
They certainly appear to be. The Wiki has a great feature, where anyone can edit it if they find an error !!
I am just a mere mortal. I am not a roads professional, just an occasional observer and an even more occasional poster. I wouldn't dare to be so bold as to start editing your site.
You’re a member of SABRE just like the rest of us - it’s not Big L’s site, or mine, or anyone else’s, and it’s not the preserve or the work of professionals. It’s by all of us, for all of us. We’re all mere mortals. Even if you decide not to have a go at making this change, please don’t be afraid to have a go. Nobody will shout at you if you get it wrong.
Hi Chris

Thanks for your kind words. Maybe I just need to be a bit more confident in future. Thanks again.

Philip
fras

Post by fras »

XC70 wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:10
Chris5156 wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:05
XC70 wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 09:52

I am just a mere mortal. I am not a roads professional, just an occasional observer and an even more occasional poster. I wouldn't dare to be so bold as to start editing your site.
You’re a member of SABRE just like the rest of us - it’s not Big L’s site, or mine, or anyone else’s, and it’s not the preserve or the work of professionals. It’s by all of us, for all of us. We’re all mere mortals. Even if you decide not to have a go at making this change, please don’t be afraid to have a go. Nobody will shout at you if you get it wrong.
Hi Chris

Thanks for your kind words. Maybe I just need to be a bit more confident in future. Thanks again.

Philip
Seeing the above, I have updated the A500 Wiki, as there have been quite a few mods made in recent years, although obviously nothing spectacular, but things ARE brewing west of the M6 !
jgharston

Post by jgharston »

KeithW wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:58 It's a mixed picture in the North East, snow and ice warnings were issued. Some high level routes such as the A169 between Pickering and Whitby, Holme Moss and parts of West Yorkshire had heavy snow, but all we got on the coastal plain was heavy rain and temperatures didn't drop below 1 deg C.
I came home at Friday teatime over the A169 and over the moors my main concern was that it was dark, and the car behind me tailgating me. Other than that, standard careful snow driving, pushing down into low gear for the hills, careful aiming at the clear tracks on the tarmac.
My Corsa must be narrower than the average car as I always got one side running over refrozen slush, I could rarely get both sides running in clear tarmac.

I'll be watching the forecast on Sunday evening - and looking out of the windows Monday morning - before deciding on my drive to work.
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

jgharston wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 02:16
I came home at Friday teatime over the A169 and over the moors my main concern was that it was dark, and the car behind me tailgating me. Other than that, standard careful snow driving, pushing down into low gear for the hills, careful aiming at the clear tracks on the tarmac.
My Corsa must be narrower than the average car as I always got one side running over refrozen slush, I could rarely get both sides running in clear tarmac.

I'll be watching the forecast on Sunday evening - and looking out of the windows Monday morning - before deciding on my drive to work.
My nephew had to drive back to Middlesbrough from Scarborough on Friday morning and had to come back via the A64 to York and then the A19, at that point they were recovering cars stuck overnight on the A171 and A169
Al__S

Post by Al__S »

jgharston wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 02:16
My main concern in such conditions is other drivers. You can be a diligent, careful, sensible driver and still get "trapped" easily, because of other people. Someone up ahead spins, and even if you stop easily, the driver behind stops without hitting you etc you've now got problems
Helvellyn

Post by Helvellyn »

Snow's mostly gone here now, other than on the hills (and I'm guessing a bit about that because they're hidden in the murk today). As usual right around my house seems to be the last place it's lingering until you go uphill, it's still very slippery.