Epping Forest 'Clean Air Zone'

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Big Nick

Epping Forest 'Clean Air Zone'

Post by Big Nick »

At a meeting of Epping Forest District Council today they decided to introduce a Clean Air Zone or Local Emissions Zone in Epping Forest by 2025. This has been led by the desire to reduce air pollution within the District and quite probably ignores that 2 major motorways run through the middle.

It also follows that because there are plans to build 11,000 new homes around here there will be more emissions. Rather than saying No to Greenbelt Homes our elected councillors have decided to make life more expensive for drivers.
It rather ignores the national plan for all cars to be electric within 15 years thus making a LEZ a tad more difficult to enforce.
ManomayLR
Social Media Admin

Re: Epping Forest 'Clean Air Zone'

Post by ManomayLR »

I don’t think local residents should suffer limits to compensate for environmental damage caused by long distance traffic. Many of them didn’t choose for this!

Why not one of those 60 limit trials on M25 or M11?
Though roads may not put a smile on everyone's face, there is one road that always will: the road to home.
WHBM

Post by WHBM »

These are going to spread like wildfire through local authorities. Emissions be blowed, they just see it as an opportunistic money grab.

DfT needs to get a grab on it before it gets out of control. Emissions control is a national policy.
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

I can't find any maps showing the extent of the planned clean air zone. I assume it will cover the urban area of Epping town. If so it wouldn't bother me driving a non compliant car. I would just park outside the zone and walk in as Epping is such a small place.
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

WHBM wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 16:54 These are going to spread like wildfire through local authorities. Emissions be blowed, they just see it as an opportunistic money grab.

DfT needs to get a grab on it before it gets out of control. Emissions control is a national policy.
Agreed, given that district councils are refusing to collect garden waste I can imagine them each trying to add charging zones or congestion zones with all sorts of odd criteria - particularly if a private company builds a model that's simple to implement and re-use nationally.

I'm more concerned, though, with how it's charged - it's not reasonable for someone on a long journey to register with 300-odd local authorities individual charging schemes. You'd never know or remember which schemes you went through in order to pay for it unless there was a system of joined up charging - or something like the Norwegian system where you just receive bills in the post based on your registration number.
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
Big Nick

Post by Big Nick »

Truvelo wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 16:59 I can't find any maps showing the extent of the planned clean air zone. I assume it will cover the urban area of Epping town. If so it wouldn't bother me driving a non compliant car. I would just park outside the zone and walk in as Epping is such a small place.
I realise there is not a map but as this Statement shows the concern is for the natural area of Epping Forest. With that I feel safe in saying the proposed Clean Air Zone would cover the A104 from the M25 down to Buckhurst Hill, and quite likely the whole of Epping. It also matches what was said reported to be said at the meeting back in January.
https://www.eppingforestdc.gov.uk/plann ... -strategy/

It was later decided at a meeting in February that the proposed CAZ could not be considered as part of any planning application until it is approved by the Planning Inspector.
https://rds.eppingforestdc.gov.uk/ieLis ... &MId=10719

Frankly it sounds like it's on the back burner for now after the backlash. Given enough time it may not happen as more cleaner cars get on the roads. I shall keep my ears open in case that changes.