M40 30th Birthday

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

ManomayLR
Assistant Site Manager

Re: M40 30th Birthday

Post by ManomayLR »

WHBM wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 20:33 I was periodically travelling from Slough to the Wirral on Friday evenings when it opened. Hitherto it could be the first hour just for the M25 and the second hour little further than Luton on the M1. Once the M40 opened you could be past Birmingham in that time.
The M40 is one of the quietest major arterial motorways out of London. In fact, it's the longest arterial not to have any major stretches of smart motorway. Most of the road doesn't even have regular message signs, and still uses MS1s. (the M11 and A1M don't either, but they don't go so far out.)

Because of where I live, I'd likely stick with M6-M1, and it will likely be less painful, given the capacity improvements on the routes.
Though roads may not put a smile on everyone's face, there is one road that always will: the road to home.