G7 summit at Carbis Bay

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

FosseWay
Assistant Site Manager

Re: G7 summit at Carbis Bay

Post by FosseWay »

KeithW wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 20:48 If you think you can keep a major summit meeting location a secret you are deluded, all you need is one politician, civil servant or journalist to spill the beans and it will be on the news feeds in minutes.
This comment rather exemplifies your responses to my comments in this thread, tbh. At no point have I mentioned anything about secrecy - this is you reading what you want me to have written, not what I wrote.

Most people couldn't give a flying fruitcake about G7 summits. If they occur quietly at places where people don't come into contact with them in the course of their daily activities, they will be low-profile and just be reported on after the event in terms of the policy decisions made there - much like any policy-making meeting anywhere else. The people with an axe to grind who want to demonstrate will make the effort to turn up wherever you hold it. Remember Gleneagles?

I repeat what I said before - a lot of this, including the sheer number of hangers-on involved, is just a spectacular piece of manhood-waving. Nothing says "Look at me, I'm important" like ostentatiously blocking off roads and generally getting in people's faces.
Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
Vierwielen

Post by Vierwielen »

KeithW wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 20:48 If you think you can keep a major summit meeting location a secret you are deluded, all you need is one politician, civil servant or journalist to spill the beans and it will be on the news feeds in minutes. Its also rather difficult to hide Air Force One landing, Stansted airport handles 27 million passenger movements a year and has just one termina'l and 5 airport hotels close to it. To secure that would mean excluding all other traffic.
It would be unreasonable to hold the G7 meeting at the airport itself, but most airports have VIP lounges - some years ago I saw a signpost to the Heathrow VIP lounge, but I can't find it on Google Maps (maybe it has been taken away). The lounge itself appears to be in a "discreet" part of the airport. A car will drive up to the aircraft and the VIP will be driven to the lounge concerned from which they will be whisked away via a "discreet" exit. The thing that I noticed about the VIP lounge sign at Heathrow was that everything was covered in double yellow lines, right the way back to the motorway.
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

Vierwielen wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 16:55
KeithW wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 20:48 If you think you can keep a major summit meeting location a secret you are deluded, all you need is one politician, civil servant or journalist to spill the beans and it will be on the news feeds in minutes. Its also rather difficult to hide Air Force One landing, Stansted airport handles 27 million passenger movements a year and has just one termina'l and 5 airport hotels close to it. To secure that would mean excluding all other traffic.
It would be unreasonable to hold the G7 meeting at the airport itself, but most airports have VIP lounges - some years ago I saw a signpost to the Heathrow VIP lounge, but I can't find it on Google Maps (maybe it has been taken away). The lounge itself appears to be in a "discreet" part of the airport. A car will drive up to the aircraft and the VIP will be driven to the lounge concerned from which they will be whisked away via a "discreet" exit. The thing that I noticed about the VIP lounge sign at Heathrow was that everything was covered in double yellow lines, right the way back to the motorway.

Indeed they do but essentially this is a comfy private place to wait for boarding, I believe there is one in each of the terminals. Down the scale a little I have used Business Class Lounges which are a lot nicer than trying to find a seat (usually uncomfortable) in the departure lounge. Typically they have nice desks with a monitor that you can plug your laptop into along with good quality internet so you can catch up with your emails etc. They usually have complimentary drinks but I stuck to coffee.

The one airport I have used that had conference rooms you could rent was London City airport in Docklands. We use to hold regular meeting with EdF and they used to fly in to LCY and the meeting would in one of them.
Vierwielen

Post by Vierwielen »

KeithW wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 17:23
Vierwielen wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 16:55

Indeed they do but essentially this is a comfy private place to wait for boarding, I believe there is one in each of the terminals. Down the scale a little I have used Business Class Lounges which are a lot nicer than trying to find a seat (usually uncomfortable) in the departure lounge. Typically they have nice desks with a monitor that you can plug your laptop into along with good quality internet so you can catch up with your emails etc. They usually have complimentary drinks but I stuck to coffee.

The one airport I have used that had conference rooms you could rent was London City airport in Docklands. We use to hold regular meeting with EdF and they used to fly in to LCY and the meeting would in one of them.
There are VIP lounges and there are VIP lounges. The exclusive one at Heathrow will set you back £2750 + VAT (discount if you are a diplomat or head of state or something like that). If you value your privacy, you might well use that lounge.
Peter350

Post by Peter350 »

Just one day to go until the start of the G7 summit in Carbis Bay. Expect the roads to be absolutely chockablock in the next few days with that combined with lovely weather bringing in holidaymakers and staycationers* who can’t go abroad this year.

Could be the perfect photo opportunity for SteveA30. Let’s somehow hope he’s in the area and there’s a diversion or two of course…

*EDIT: Since my comment ended up spiralling into a new topic altogether, I would like to say that by staycation, I do genuinely mean people who live in Cornwall that like to spend an entire week making day trips to local attractions.
Last edited by Peter350 on Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:08, edited 3 times in total.
ravenbluemoon
Committee Member

Post by ravenbluemoon »

I've split off the discussion about Staycations as we were drifting way off topic - the posts are to be found here: Staycations

As you were...
Tony Alice (they,them)
~~~~~
Owner of a classic rust heap/money pit, and other unremarkable older vehicles.
Usually found with a head in an old map or road atlas.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Ask me if you want to get involved!