NI: A1 Junctions Phase 2 - Hillsborough to Loughbrickland

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

NI: A1 Junctions Phase 2 - Hillsborough to Loughbrickland

Post by c2R »

A1 road improvement scheme approved by Nichola Mallon subject to funding - The scheme is expected to cost in the region of £65-75m.
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-55827688

It would see 111 gaps in the central reservation closed, four new flyovers developed and the prevention of right turns from more than 20 side roads.
Last edited by c2R on Fri Jan 29, 2021 09:31, edited 1 time in total.
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
nowster
Treasurer

Re: NI: A1 Hillsborough

Post by nowster »

That's been sorely needed for a very long time.
Herned

Post by Herned »

c2R wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 22:05 A1 road improvement scheme approved by Nichola Mallon subject to funding - The scheme is expected to cost in the region of £65-75m.

It would see 111 gaps in the central reservation closed, four new flyovers developed and the prevention of right turns from more than 20 side roads.
I assume that should read 11? not 111? Neither number is in the news article
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

Herned wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 00:21
c2R wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 22:05 A1 road improvement scheme approved by Nichola Mallon subject to funding - The scheme is expected to cost in the region of £65-75m.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-51831161
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Re: NI: A1 Junctions Phase 2 - Hillsborough to Loughbrickland

Post by c2R »

here is a nice video

And a scheme page: https://www.infrastructure-ni.gov.uk/ar ... 2-overview
roadtester

Post by roadtester »

c2R wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 00:26

When I first saw the figure 111 I thought it must be a typo as well but after reviewing this section of the A1 via Google maps/satellite, I suspect the number really is nearer to 111 than 11!

This is long overdue.

That said, I notice there is still a certain amount of at-gradery and sub-standardry south of Loughbrickland as well.

Any reason why they're not doing the whole lot (assuming I've understood what's going on correctly)?

Or is/was that Phase 1?
Electrophorus Electricus

Check out #davidsdailycar on Mastodon
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

roadtester wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:22
c2R wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 00:26

When I first saw the figure 111 I thought it must be a typo as well but after reviewing this section of the A1 via Google maps/satellite, I suspect the number really is nearer to 111 than 11!

This is long overdue.

That said, I notice there is still a certain amount of at-gradery and sub-standardry south of Loughbrickland as well.

Any reason why they're not doing the whole lot (assuming I've understood what's going on correctly)?

Or is/was that Phase 1?
Yes, there are numerous field and property accesses so I think 111 is completely realistic!

I think south of Loughbrickland will be a later phase - traffic levels by that point have dropped right off, and Loughbrickland itself had a GSJ as an earlier phase. I did the other year almost get wiped out by someone at Beech Hill who crossed turned right in front of me at 4am which was slightly terrifying
Last edited by c2R on Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:19, edited 1 time in total.
roadtester

Post by roadtester »

I've only ever driven that stretch a few times and every time I thought "how can so much clearly have been spent on dualling and improving the road while leaving so many sub-standard elements"?
Electrophorus Electricus

jackal

Post by jackal »

Looks like a fantastic scheme. There will be four new compact GSJs and 22 LILOs, as well as a new northbound onslip at the A50 bridge (so with an adjoining LILO it will be three-quarter access). Plans here:

https://www.infrastructure-ni.gov.uk/si ... e-plan.pdf
AndyB
SABRE Developer

Post by AndyB »

roadtester wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:08 I've only ever driven that stretch a few times and every time I thought "how can so much clearly have been spent on dualling and improving the road while leaving so many sub-standard elements"?
At the time, that was the proper standard for a rural dual carriageway, and the Whiteadders were in charge of the purse strings.
roadtester

Post by roadtester »

AndyB wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:57
roadtester wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:08 I've only ever driven that stretch a few times and every time I thought "how can so much clearly have been spent on dualling and improving the road while leaving so many sub-standard elements"?
At the time, that was the proper standard for a rural dual carriageway, and the Whiteadders were in charge of the purse strings.
My thought about it as a non-local was that it was stuck in an awkward category where it was probably too good to be able to justify just throwing it away and starting again, but at the same time, it might be too hard to upgrade to a proper standard because of space constraints in some places and the sheer number of accesses and at-grade features.

Somehow, though, they seem to have managed to find a way through all that, so to the limited extent that I'm qualified to judge, I'd agree with wrinkly that it looks like a really good scheme.
Electrophorus Electricus

JammyDodge

Post by JammyDodge »

c2R wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:57
roadtester wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:22

This is long overdue.

Or is/was that Phase 1?
Yes, there are numerous field and property accesses so I think 111 is completely realistic!

I think south of Loughbrickland will be a later phase - traffic levels by that point have dropped right off, and Loughbrickland itself had a GSJ as an earlier phase. I did the other year almost get wiped out by someone at Beech Hill who crossed turned right in front of me at 4am which was slightly terrifying
I was just looking on satellite view on Google Maps, and oh boy, are there a lot of gaps in that central reservation between the ROI and the M1
Designing Tomorrow, Around the Past
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

roadtester wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 13:28
My thought about it as a non-local was that it was stuck in an awkward category where it was probably too good to be able to justify just throwing it away and starting again, but at the same time, it might be too hard to upgrade to a proper standard because of space constraints in some places and the sheer number of accesses and at-grade features.

Somehow, though, they seem to have managed to find a way through all that, so to the limited extent that I'm qualified to judge, I'd agree with wrinkly that it looks like a really good scheme.
Or even jackal!

I'm also a fan of the new bus stops with mini parking areas at junctions and the removal of the bus stops every half mile down the main carriageway.
roadtester

Post by roadtester »

c2R wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 15:15 Or even jackal!
Oops - you are right!

Apologies to both for the case of mistaken identity.
Electrophorus Electricus

Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

So the three roundabouts between the northern end of the scheme and the M1 will remain? This would be the only break in the freeflow between Belfast and Cork.
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

Truvelo wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 16:19 So the three roundabouts between the northern end of the scheme and the M1 will remain? This would be the only break in the freeflow between Belfast and Cork.
That's a separate scheme.

Edit - Arguably this is a far more important scheme in terms of road safety and reliability - while congestion around Sprucefield and Hillsborough is known, collisions tend to be low speed and low impact. In normal times there were regularly high speed collisions caused by the property accesses and at-grade junctions up and down the rest of this section which often closed the road for hours at a time.
A42_Sparks

Post by A42_Sparks »

Long overdue, they also need to look at doing the same to the A26 Antrim-Ballymena and the A26 section north of Ballymena to Glarryford. I think if that happened then NI's entire motorway and HQDC network would be linked up apart from the Derry sections.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

It's just unfortunate there is still no motorway connection between the two largest cities on the island, this would to me have been a perfect way to demonstrate co-operation and committment to the GFA by making sure Belfast and Dublin were properly connected - given a lot of the A1 dualling is less than 40 years old as well this is quite embarrassing.

The Newry Bypass is basically a motorway. It's of higher quality than some of GB's D2M roads.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
Owain
Elected Committee Member

Post by Owain »

Bryn666 wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 14:04 It's just unfortunate there is still no motorway connection between the two largest cities on the island, this would to me have been a perfect way to demonstrate co-operation and committment to the GFA by making sure Belfast and Dublin were properly connected - given a lot of the A1 dualling is less than 40 years old as well this is quite embarrassing.

The Newry Bypass is basically a motorway. It's of higher quality than some of GB's D2M roads.
The Banbridge bypass is poor though, with a 60 limit and some turning gaps. I must have driven it for the first time back in 2013, and I was surprised at how poor it was compared with the rest of the route.

And then there's the Sprucefield mess...
Former President & F99 Driver

Viva la Repubblica!
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

Owain wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 14:17
The Banbridge bypass is poor though, with a 60 limit and some turning gaps. I must have driven it for the first time back in 2013, and I was surprised at how poor it was compared with the rest of the route.
Some of those gaps have recently had stopping up orders. The rest will be close as part of this new scheme. I presume the speed limits will all return to NSL once this project is completed.
And then there's the Sprucefield mess...
Hopefully there will be progress on that scheme too...