British Roundabout "Etiquette"

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

A3-Andrew

British Roundabout "Etiquette"

Post by A3-Andrew »

I had a discussion on Facebook with someone about roundabouts in the UK and whether or not there was in their beginning a different rule about entering them? I was convinced that I had discovered a couple of years ago that until the mid-Sixties traffic entering a "Traffic Circle" as it appears to have been called had priority. I can not find an actual statement about this anywhere but it is clear that giving way to traffic on a roundabout became the norm in the mid-Sixties. Can anyone clarify this for me?
Debaser

Re: British Roundabout "Etiquette"

Post by Debaser »

Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

A3-Andrew wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 08:46 I had a discussion on Facebook with someone about roundabouts in the UK and whether or not there was in their beginning a different rule about entering them? I was convinced that I had discovered a couple of years ago that until the mid-Sixties traffic entering a "Traffic Circle" as it appears to have been called had priority. I can not find an actual statement about this anywhere but it is clear that giving way to traffic on a roundabout became the norm in the mid-Sixties. Can anyone clarify this for me?
Are you sure that this isn't a confusion about France, which originally had that rule - and indeed roundabouts in France now include signage like "vous n'avez pas la priorité" and "cédéz le passage" on the entries - though there doesn't seem to be consistency on the wording that's used!
Steven
Motorway Historian

Founder Member, SABRE ex-Presidents' Corner

Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!

WHBM

Post by WHBM »

The priority at roundabouts was indeed introduced in the late 1960s, I can just about remember it coming in. Until then there was no rule (hence the old London cabbie expression "comply roundabout", with no reference to what the priority might be). It coincided with the placing of Give Way lines. The earliest ones were supplemented by Give Way signs, but these soon disappeared. It took several years to introduce the markings. Once established, mini-roundabouts, with a small or non-existent weaving area, came along.

It was an "etiquette" to give way on entry, there was nothing more in the Highway Code I recall. There were of course some who barrelled on and then barrelled past the other entry points as well; get two of these approaching from different directions and they would indeed just collide. About this time "uncontrolled cross roads", a similar arrangement, also began to disappear - for those who didn't know them, these, particularly back streets in towns, had no markings or indication of priority either. Old driving tests always took you through a couple and expected appropriate caution to be shown.
exiled
Committee Member

Post by exiled »

Steven wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 08:53
A3-Andrew wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 08:46 I had a discussion on Facebook with someone about roundabouts in the UK and whether or not there was in their beginning a different rule about entering them? I was convinced that I had discovered a couple of years ago that until the mid-Sixties traffic entering a "Traffic Circle" as it appears to have been called had priority. I can not find an actual statement about this anywhere but it is clear that giving way to traffic on a roundabout became the norm in the mid-Sixties. Can anyone clarify this for me?
Are you sure that this isn't a confusion about France, which originally had that rule - and indeed roundabouts in France now include signage like "vous n'avez pas la priorité" and "cédéz le passage" on the entries - though there doesn't seem to be consistency on the wording that's used!
Interesting article from BFM.TV (in French) that the first modern roundabouts in France (rondspoints à l'anglaise) were test introduced in 1976 with the rule in the Code de la Route in 1983 that the 'round about' sign specified traffic on it has priority.
https://www.bfmtv.com/auto/pourquoi-y-a ... pomobiles.. It appears the name 'rond points à l'anglaise' is because of how roundabouts were used in the sixties and seventies in places like Milton Keynes here.

The 'vous n'avez pas la priorité' was on the roundabout sign, and has not been needed for a good few years now. If the road has priority at that point you then get the crossed out diamond, then at the entrance the standard give way with the 'cédez la passage'

In the absence of these signs, 'priorité à droit' still applies, though often with the saltire cross road sign instead of indication it is a giratory.
Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
FosseWay
Assistant Site Manager

Post by FosseWay »

WHBM wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:02 About this time "uncontrolled cross roads", a similar arrangement, also began to disappear - for those who didn't know them, these, particularly back streets in towns, had no markings or indication of priority either. Old driving tests always took you through a couple and expected appropriate caution to be shown.
These still exist, of course, on country lanes with neither markings nor signage, both with crossroads and forks where there is no convention governing priority. (At T-junctions, the convention is pretty well established that traffic going straight on has priority over traffic emerging from or turning into the "stem" of the T, though I wouldn't advise presuming that everyone else takes that view if you're barrelling towards one.)

On roundabouts (I mean normal ones to which the current rule of giving way to traffic already circulating applies), there is also a clear difference in etiquette between countries. If you are turning left or right at an upcoming roundabout, in the UK you are taught to signal appropriately on the approach, and then (if turning right) switch to signalling left as you pass the exit before the one you intend to take. If going straight on, you don't signal on approach, and signal left as you pass the exit before yours. In Germany, on the other hand, it is apparently not the done thing to signal on approach; you simply signal right as you pass the exit before yours.

I'm not sure what the standard behaviour in Sweden is, i.e. what you get taught when learning to drive, as the behaviour I see is fairly evenly divided between those who take the UK approach, those who take the German approach, and those who don't bother signalling at all at any point.
A3-Andrew

Post by A3-Andrew »

Thank you. I had found the Wikipedia article but I could not understand what the rule was before the "Give Way" rule came in. I was obviously not using the appropriate search terms to find the roads.org.uk article so thank you for pointing that out, too.
FosseWay
Assistant Site Manager

Post by FosseWay »

exiled wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:21 In the absence of these signs, 'priorité à droite' still applies, though often with the saltire cross road sign instead of indication it is a giratory.
Of course, it helps if the signage is correct. The sign for an upcoming junction governed by priorité à droite is this one (which I presume is what you meant):
varning för vägkorsning.png
varning för vägkorsning.png (10.39 KiB) Viewed 1487 times
But only the other day I drove past one of these, only for the side road joining from the right, to which the sign referred, to have a STOP sign and solid line. So which is it - PàD or my priority? :roll:

Seriously, I know Bryn, conekicker and other highways professionals on here bemoan all the instances of non-standard signage they come across on the UK network, but you ain't seen nothing if you've not experienced the chaos that is Swedish signage!
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

A3-Andrew wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:29 Thank you. I had found the Wikipedia article but I could not understand what the rule was before the "Give Way" rule came in. I was obviously not using the appropriate search terms to find the roads.org.uk article so thank you for pointing that out, too.
There's also an article on this very website that everyone seems to have missed.

Roundabout
Steven
Motorway Historian

Founder Member, SABRE ex-Presidents' Corner

From the SABRE Wiki: Roundabout :
The first roundabout

A roundabout is a circular road junction with traffic flowing clockwise along the circulatory carriageway around a central island. Traffic wishing to enter the roundabout must give way to traffic already on it. In parts of the Midlands and the North West of England, the junctions are colloquially known as islands, not to be confused with pedestrian refuges. Elsewhere the term island

... Read More