Humber Bridge foot/cycle way closed indefinitely.

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

jervi

Humber Bridge foot/cycle way closed indefinitely.

Post by jervi »

https://road.cc/content/news/humber-bri ... ely-282289
https://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/news ... ly-5261158

Due to a number of deaths at the Humber bridge recently, the path that runs beside it on both side that is used by bicycles and pedestrians is closed indefinitely.

From what I understand, the deaths are not related to safety of the path itself, but are those taking their own lives. Not entirely sure if closing the path will in anyway be effective since it will still be accessible if you really wanted to get on it, nor does it solve the root issues.
I believe the ban is more aimed at stopping cyclists from using the crossing for free while motor vehicles have to pay rather than actually "fixing" the current issues with it.

By the looks of it there will be no provision for pedestrians or cycles to cross, such as at Dartford where HE will facilitate the crossing. Hopefully some sort of provision will be established during the closure, especially if there is no plan to reopen since there are historical rights to cross here prior to bridge opening.

Currently a bicycle journey from Hull to Barton is 9 miles. now it will be 42 miles.
Last edited by jervi on Sun Apr 04, 2021 23:29, edited 1 time in total.
Stevie D

Re: Humber Bridge foot/cycle way closed indefinitely.

Post by Stevie D »

Sounds like East Yorkshire buses could do with getting some of their EastRider buses that have 2 cycle spaces on the Humber FastCat across the bridge.
traffic-light-man

Post by traffic-light-man »

jervi wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 16:52 I believe the ban is more aimed at stopping cyclists from using the crossing for free while motor vehicles have to pay
Surely they'd be charging motorcycles too, if that was the case.
Simon
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Seems a classic case of a clipboard wonk patting themselves on the back for fixing a problem without spending any money.

Other bridges have measures to mitigate or prevent people who are in distress from jumping over the sides. I'd imagine a legal challenge under accessibility legislation will follow very quickly and I expect it would win.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
skiddaw05

Post by skiddaw05 »

jervi wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 16:52 Currently a bicycle journey from Hull to Barton is 9 miles. now it will be 42 miles.
"We appreciate this might cause some inconvenience..."
A masterclass in understatement if ever there was one
Barkstar

Post by Barkstar »

It's on my UK bucket list to walk across. So hopefully some sort of resolution is found. Given you'd have to make a some effort to get to the bridge to jump it strikes me someone intent on doing so would find an alternative.
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

Barkstar wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 23:36 It's on my UK bucket list to walk across. So hopefully some sort of resolution is found. Given you'd have to make a some effort to get to the bridge to jump it strikes me someone intent on doing so would find an alternative.
Quite so. Without wishing to be ghoulish, this measure is unlikely to prevent anyone taking their own life. It will just prevent people taking their own lives on Humber Bridge Board property. It feels more like a PR exercise than a meaningful attempt to prevent people coming to harm.
A1OZZ

Post by A1OZZ »

Hopefully a resolution will be forthcoming. It was the main reason I stayed in Hull to visit/explore the Humber Bridge by bike.

The Humber Bridge is part of National Cycle Route 1 so will be a massive gap in the route if permanently closed.
Hdeng16

Post by Hdeng16 »

The path appears to be blocked by cones only and the board have asked people to respect the closure.

Which to me suggests there is no legal basis (currently) for blocking the right of way.

As for the decision itself, while anyone taking their own life anywhere is tragic, this must be one of the most ill thought out ridiculous reactionary and self serving ideas I’ve heard of from the board. From the people that brought you glass lifts and viewing platforms…. (At some point, maybe, one day)
Ruperts Trooper

Post by Ruperts Trooper »

Chris5156 wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 00:04
Barkstar wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 23:36 It's on my UK bucket list to walk across. So hopefully some sort of resolution is found. Given you'd have to make a some effort to get to the bridge to jump it strikes me someone intent on doing so would find an alternative.
Quite so. Without wishing to be ghoulish, this measure is unlikely to prevent anyone taking their own life. It will just prevent people taking their own lives on Humber Bridge Board property. It feels more like a PR exercise than a meaningful attempt to prevent people coming to harm.
Surely a risk assessment has been done, and mitigating steps put in place (eg fencing) for any significant bridge ?
Lifelong motorhead
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

Ruperts Trooper wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 08:01 Surely a risk assessment has been done, and mitigating steps put in place (eg fencing) for any significant bridge ?
I walked across the Forth Road Bridge a few weeks ago and there isn't much to stop potential jumpers.
Make poetry history.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

Hopefully they will do something similar to that on the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco.

trickstat

Post by trickstat »

I know the Golden Gate is an example of a bridge where physical anti-suicide measures have been put in. I think Clifton Suspension Bridge and The Archway in London are examples closer to home where changes have been made to try to prevent suicides.
Barkstar

Post by Barkstar »

Chris5156 wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 00:04
Indeed. It does rather come across as 'Virtue Signalling'. And if there is any doubt as to the legality of closing it I'd imagine The Ramblers will have something to say, not to mention local authorities and cycling groups.
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

Ruperts Trooper wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 08:01 Surely a risk assessment has been done, and mitigating steps put in place (eg fencing) for any significant bridge ?
Risk assessments of that sort do not usually include the risk of suicide, except in such cases as police cells, prisons and mental hospitals where it is a known issue and the staff have a duty of care. Typical bridges have barriers that are easy to climb over such as here.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.55831 ... 8192?hl=en

One example of transport infrastructure where that became a problem was the walkway of the Middlesbrough Transporter Bridge which was closed to the public for a number of years after a string of suicides. This seems to have been replaced as a choice of suicides by the Leven Valley viaduct over the A19.
Ruperts Trooper

Post by Ruperts Trooper »

KeithW wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:42
Risk assessments of that sort do not usually include the risk of suicide, except in such cases as police cells, prisons and mental hospitals where it is a known issue and the staff have a duty of care. Typical bridges have barriers that are easy to climb over such as here.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.55831 ... 8192?hl=en

One example of transport infrastructure where that became a problem was the walkway of the Middlesbrough Transporter Bridge which was closed to the public for a number of years after a string of suicides. This seems to have been replaced as a choice of suicides by the Leven Valley viaduct over the A19.
Having seen the fencing, signage and phones on the Erskine Bridge I assumed, clearly wrongly, that all local authorities would have made similar assessments and taken appropriate action.
Lifelong motorhead
Debaser

Post by Debaser »

Highways England have their own suicide prevention strategy, which apparently must be referred to whenever bridges are incorporated into new schemes.
Ritchie333
Assistant Site Manager

Post by Ritchie333 »

The best solution would be to have the government invest in mental health studies and treatment, improve social services and help fund organisations like the Samaritans, so less people would feel they had no alternative.
--
SABRE Maps - all the best maps in one place....
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

Debaser wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 13:14 Highways England have their own suicide prevention strategy, which apparently must be referred to whenever bridges are incorporated into new schemes.
Lots of good intentions but little in the way of specific policies.
punyXpress

Post by punyXpress »

Since this is within a whisker of 1st April, I hope it isn't someone's idea of a joke.
Certainly not from Sabre members, but there are an awful lot of strange folks around.