Humber Bridge foot/cycle way closed indefinitely.

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Stevie D

Re: Humber Bridge foot/cycle way closed indefinitely.

Post by Stevie D »

FosseWay wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:29I don't know: the guy I mentioned who used to live in Chepstow and work in Avonmouth commuted by bike every day. Presumably he had an alternative if the Severn Bridge was actually shut due to high winds, but then he'd have been inconvenienced in a car as well (presuming the M4 stayed open).
The alternative there would be to cycle to Severn Tunnel Junction station and hop on a train, with your bike, probably right in to Bristol, and then cycle from there out to Avonmouth. But that isn't an easy option with the Humber because you would have to travel via Doncaster to get round. Barnetby to Brough (which are the nearest main stations) takes over 2 hours plus potentially a significantly extended cycle journey to get to/from those stations.
Jim606

Post by Jim606 »

I used to live in Hull during the 1980s and I walked across the Humber Bridge a handful of times for novelty value. I remember that the bridge has a footway either side of the road deck, but only one side was ever open at a time?
belgarion

Post by belgarion »

Jim606 wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:17 I used to live in Hull during the 1980s and I walked across the Humber Bridge a handful of times for novelty value. I remember that the bridge has a footway either side of the road deck, but only one side was ever open at a time?
I've walked across a few time in the 90's it was always on the "inland" side, can't remember if there was a walkway open on the other side.
For comfort it would be preferable to be upwind of the road so exhaust is blown away from you, especially as the road is higher than the path so the car exhausts would be close to head height.

Vince
delinquentwoody

Post by delinquentwoody »

It sounds like the Humber Bridge footpaths are reopening this week.. but will be closed from 9pm to 5am except for registered users.. Great news that it's finally reopening.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-humber-56987429
jervi

Post by jervi »

Seems like a good compromise. Although this "wellbeing hub" looks like more of a tick in a box of we are doing something rather that actually be useful.
fras

Post by fras »

As the bridge is unmanned, how will they detect unregistered cyclists, as bikes have no numbr plates ?
RichardA35
Committee Member

Post by RichardA35 »

fras wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 08:14 As the bridge is unmanned, how will they detect unregistered cyclists, as bikes have no numbr plates ?
The bridge access will be unrestricted during the day. At night pedestrians and cyclists will be "required to register with the bridge beforehand". That could be taken as either there is a presence at night to call up (I very much doubt the bridge control centre would be unstaffed at night) or that anyone wishing to cross will have to make it known to the bridge authorities during the daytime. Either way persons who have not called ahead/"registered" will likely find a locked gate across their path
Other newspaper stories (available via Google) attributed to the local MP have intimated an intercom system could be installed.
This is an attempt to deter those in a vulnerable state from ending their lives (causing them to talk to someone and asking to cross which might just be the intervention needed) while allowing utility cyclists and pedestrians to cross unimpeded and should be welcomed, rather than try to be used to "score points" against other road users.
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

It sounds like a good compromise - let’s hope it works as intended. Very glad to hear the paths are reopening.