The London CS7 Upgrade is now on GSV

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Skipsy

The London CS7 Upgrade is now on GSV

Post by Skipsy »

Most of the upgrades to the CS7 listed in this document https://consultations.tfl.gov.uk/genera ... p-pack.pdf are now viewable in GSV.
Some notable changes include:

- All 4 bus lanes on the approach to Tooting Broadway junction have been extended to the stop line at the traffic lights, except the westbound Tooting High Street bus lane which now continues across the junction ending a little further up ahead
- Many restrictions on turning into side roads along the A24
- Many bus stop, parking and loading bay removals, relocations or additions
- New 'floating bus stops' such as here https://www.google.com/maps/@51.4215289 ... 384!8i8192
- No left turn into Chestnut Grove from Balham High Road except buses and cycles (NB), and no left turn from into Balham Station Road from Balham High Road except buses, taxis and cycles (SB)
- No right turn into Bedford Hill (B242) from Balham High Road except cycles
- New layout and signal timing at High Street Colliers Wood and Priory Road junction

What are your thoughts on the changes?
Patrick Harper

Re: The London CS7 Upgrade is now on GSV

Post by Patrick Harper »

Based on clicking up and down the road on GSV, that doesn't look like a street particularly suited to the cycle lanes they've put in, but then what do I know if I don't live there. Who on earth would bother using this for example? That's just not my idea of making progress.
Herned

Post by Herned »

Patrick Harper wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 14:39 Based on clicking up and down the road on GSV, that doesn't look like a street particularly suited to the cycle lanes they've put in, but then what do I know if I don't live there. Who on earth would bother using this for example? That's just not my idea of making progress.
I agree. That doesn't look permanent though, it's a lot lower quality than other segments. Could that be covid-related?
jervi

Post by jervi »

I cycled along the whole of CS7 last November, and in general it was pretty good. I still wouldn't trust a child to ride along it by themselves thou due to the amount of uncontrolled side roads and how at points traffic mixes.
The location which was in the last post of the floating bus stop with blue barriers was especially bad, it seemed to confuse pedestrians of where they are supposed to be, although by the quality of it I assume it is a temp covid thing.
Also with some of the more temporary looking floating bus stops they have put a raised pedestrian crossing across the cycleway (which is logical), although they haven't moved the drain or taken into consideration what rain water would do, and ends up making the cycleway into a big puddle.
M19

Post by M19 »

It’s not really following the principles for Manual for Streets is it? It’s very focussed on controlling movement, but does nothing for place except try as hard as possible to uglify the street with the visual merits of an assault course.

Traffic is bad enough to think of ways of making it even worse - but the cynic in me wonders if the measures are more about making it as bad as possible for vehicles without closing the road, but with little discernible benefits for pedestrians, cyclists and buses.

The street looks awful, filled with crude engineering litter. In my view, it makes it feel more dangerous because it needs that much traffic management paraphernalia. I suspect that there was Covid money to burn and this is the mess you end up with when you have no decent place focussed streetscape plans in place ready for funding opportunities, and have to resort to a make it up as you go along process instead.

No one is going to thank the people who did this - they’re getting off lightly with not being charged for vandalism to the street.
M19
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

M19 wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 09:42It’s not really following the principles for Manual for Streets is it? It’s very focussed on controlling movement, but does nothing for place except try as hard as possible to uglify the street with the visual merits of an assault course.
Certainly agree with this. It's possible to put excellent cycling infrastructure into a narrow main road without ending up with all this bright paint, stripey bollards and confusing markings. It could be much better in terms of design and appearance, but that's the bit that costs money.

On the other hand, the fact it's there is a start, and half the battle. It would be possible to improve its appearance later if there was the will and the money.