Learner Motorcyclist : 'Special Road' Advice on A55

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Heol Llundain-Fach

Learner Motorcyclist : 'Special Road' Advice on A55

Post by Heol Llundain-Fach »

Hi all,

I'm currently a very weary L plater looking to get on with my DAS at some point this year. Aside from the regular 46-50 mile daily commute, I'm racking up a fair few miles by simply... well... enjoying riding.

As things start to open up, I'm looking forward to doing longer rides; going to see friends further afield, and doing work-related travel armed with nothing more than an A-Z and a trusty YBR 125.

I'm based in South Wales and looking to meet a few friends up North (North of England) later on in the summer while making a tour of it.

One of the routes I want to take is the A470 and A487 from Cardiff then the North Wales Expressway (A55) to Chester.

But apparently part of my route is a 'special road'. Namely between J17 at Conwy to J23 at Llanddulas. I'm hearing a mixture of different things as to whether I can use this stretch of road. Some say no L plates; others say yes L plates; others say yes because I'm not 50cc or below...

I was hoping to get some sort of clarification so that I don't end up being pulled over and whammed with points before I've even got the full licence!

At the same time, if I am not able to then I'd need to find a way of bypassing that stretch of the Expressway... however that's possible. That could be a good 16 mile of road that I cannot use, so there's no knowing how much extra distance that'll put on!

Really appreciate the help and advice in advance.
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Re: Learner Motorcyclist : 'Special Road' Advice on A55

Post by Steven »

Welcome to SABRE!

Indeed, two separate sections of the A55 are indeed a Special Road, which is legally not a right of way - motorways being a form of Special Road.

Each Special Road has different restrictions on the class of vehicle that can use it, for example, the footpath along the Severn Bridge is a Special Road that does not allow vehicular traffic, but does allow pedestrians and cyclists (and some others).

The A55 has some very helpful "NO" signs on it, which detail the restrictions, one of which is shown below. Further information about Special Roads can be found via the link above.

Steven
Motorway Historian

Founder Member, SABRE ex-Presidents' Corner

Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!

wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

Steven wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 17:39 Indeed, two separate sections of the A55 are indeed a Special Road, which is legally not a right of way - motorways being a form of Special Road.
Just to clarify, the "two separate sections" meet end-to-end, so to anyone but an extreme pedant they can be considered a single longer section, which runs from Conwy Morfa to Llanddulas, as you say.
WHBM

Post by WHBM »

So, you can't use it, because you are an L-rider. I'm aware this is currently an issue, because bike tests are either in short supply or suspended, and the compulsory training courses are likewise. Bike riders tend to just have one for a first couple of years before buying a car, so there are a widespread number on L plates at present. Here in London now it's unusual to see a biker without one, apart from the middle-aged executive lot having a bike the second time round.
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

WHBM wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 18:33 So, you can't use it, because you are an L-rider. I'm aware this is currently an issue, because bike tests are either in short supply or suspended, and the compulsory training courses are likewise. Bike riders tend to just have one for a first couple of years before buying a car, so there are a widespread number on L plates at present. Here in London now it's unusual to see a biker without one, apart from the middle-aged executive lot having a bike the second time round.
Or the older ones like me who were learners when all that was needed was a set of L plates and a provisional license. The test was little more than driving round the block and doing an emergency stop when the examiner waved his clipboard at them.
SteelCamel

Post by SteelCamel »

The wiki page says "Learner drivers are permitted to use non-Motorway Special Roads, but until 4 June 2018, they were prohibited from driving on motorways. Learners accompanied by an approved instructor with dual controls are now permitted to use motorways, in response to the increasing differential between driving on a motorway and an all purpose route (i.e. traffic volumes, technology, signing, regulations). "

Should that be "Learner drivers are permitted to use non-Motorway Special Roads unless explicitly prohibited", or is that incorrect and learners aren't allowed on any Special Road? And presumably the exemption for car drivers with an instructor and dual controls doesn't apply to the A55, not being a motorway?
JohnnyMo

Post by JohnnyMo »

My daughters went to a residential week long driving school in Llandudno and drove along the A55 to Bangor where the test centre was.

Whether it was because the car was dual-control or no restrictions applied as it isn't a motorway I don't know, but there was no restrictions on them driving on the A55 all the way to Bangor.
“The simple step of a courageous individual is not to take part in the lie" - Aleksandr I. Solzhenitsyn
Johnny Mo
Chris56000

Post by Chris56000 »

Hi!

As only full–licence holders in class I/II vehicles (HGV excepted) are permitted on the A55 between Glan Conwy J17 and Llandulas J23, w/b the OP needs to branch off the A55 at J23 and follow signs "Old Colwyn" and use the old A55, now part A547 and part B5102/B5104 through Colwyn Bay, and then leaving Colwyn Bay take the old road over the old Conwy Bridge through the decorative entrance to Conwy Village itself, then leave following "Bangor" signs, this will rejoin the A55 at Glan Conwy where the prohibitions end just before the w/b sliproad at J17 joins!

Eastbound, use the above route in reverse. The old A547/B5102/B5104 superseded route is about the same length as the new A55 expressway so there's no distance penalty!

However, make sure you pass through Conwy Village westbound or Llandulas eastbound before you pick up any A55 signs, or you'll end up at an intermediate junction where the special prohibitions are still in force both directions!

The eastbound entry to the A55 at j17 Glan Conwy and all subsequent entry slips up to and including j22 from the Old Colwyn/Beach & Promenade interchange all have a large "NO" sign giving the prohibitions in English and Welsh, and westbound from the j23 Llandulas Interchange w/b slip as far as J17 Glan Conwy, so you cannot inadvertently join the prohibited length at an intermediate point without seeing a large warning sign first!

Once the prohibitions end the entry slips have only a "clearway" sign and an NSL repeater underneath if the side road is a lower limit than NSL – hope this helps the OP!

Chris Williams
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

SteelCamel wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 19:26Should that be "Learner drivers are permitted to use non-Motorway Special Roads unless explicitly prohibited", or is that incorrect and learners aren't allowed on any Special Road?
No, I don't think it should be, for the reason that a Special Road is a road that nobody can use unless they are specifically permitted. Unlike an ordinary road, you need specific legislation allowing you to use it in order to access a Special Road.
WHBM

Post by WHBM »

It's always struck me as an inconsistency, though rather an obscure one, that whereas the Special Roads legislation is about only specified users can use it, the signage is the opposite and refers to prohibited users instead. USA is more straightforward with "Motors only".

Have to say that although L-drivers were allowed on motorways a few years ago, with a "proper" instructor (ie DfT approved), I've never actually noticed one doing so.
someone

Post by someone »

Heol Llundain-Fach wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 17:34As things start to open up, I'm looking forward to doing longer rides; going to see friends further afield, and doing work-related travel armed with nothing more than an A-Z and a trusty YBR 125.

I'm based in South Wales and looking to meet a few friends up North (North of England) later on in the summer while making a tour of it.
Perfectly doable, but the vibration of going flat out on a smaller bike can be very tiring so just make sure you do not try to do too much in a day. My longest ride was a day trip to Gloucester (from London) which was only 260 miles but coming home I really felt it and had quite a sore bum.

The A55 problem is one that, as someone previously in your position, I have repeatedly complained about. By not making such roads into motorways, but instead placing various restrictions on them to effectively make them act as one, means there is no way of safely planning a journey. Unless you have direct knowledge, you cannot tell from a map or journey planner that you are not permitted to use such a road. You only find out when you see the sign as you are just about to turn onto the slip road.

That said, as someone who used the A1, A2, A3 etc. many times, while those motorway-like roads can be safely driven on a small motorcycle they are not much fun. Unless journey time matters it is best to avoid them anyway.

There was one time I got caught behind a tractor join the A23. As it was a point where it sill only had two lanes I did not have the acceleration to be safely able to pull out into the constant stream of 70 mph traffic to overtake. Thankfully then a driver far enough back kindly flashed me out to give me the space needed.

If parallel routes are an option they are safer, and more interesting.
someone

Post by someone »

Chris5156 wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 09:59
SteelCamel wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 19:26Should that be "Learner drivers are permitted to use non-Motorway Special Roads unless explicitly prohibited", or is that incorrect and learners aren't allowed on any Special Road?
No, I don't think it should be, for the reason that a Special Road is a road that nobody can use unless they are specifically permitted. Unlike an ordinary road, you need specific legislation allowing you to use it in order to access a Special Road.
That is not technically correct either. Permission to use a special road is only given to specific classes of traffic as set out in law. A prohibition on learner drivers, if desired, therefore needs to be set explicitly on the road separate to that permission. The correct phrasing should be of a similar form to:

"Learner drivers may use non-Motorway Special Roads in any vehicle of a class permitted for that road unless explicitly prohibited. Until 4 June 2018 learners were only permitted to use a motorway when driving an HGV or PSV vehicle if they held the appropriate provisional endorsements. Learners in a car with dual controls and accompanied by an approved instructor are now also permitted to use motorways. This change was made in response to the increasing differential between driving on a motorway and an all purpose route (i.e. traffic volumes, technology, signing, regulations), however learner motorcyclists still cannot use a motorway as a motorcycle does not allow for dual control."
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

someone wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 23:21
Chris5156 wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 09:59
That is not technically correct either. Permission to use a special road is only given to specific classes of traffic as set out in law. A prohibition on learner drivers, if desired, therefore needs to be set explicitly on the road separate to that permission. The correct phrasing should be of a similar form to:

"Learner drivers may use non-Motorway Special Roads in any vehicle of a class permitted for that road unless explicitly prohibited. Until 4 June 2018 learners were only permitted to use a motorway when driving an HGV or PSV vehicle if they held the appropriate provisional endorsements. Learners in a car with dual controls and accompanied by an approved instructor are now also permitted to use motorways. This change was made in response to the increasing differential between driving on a motorway and an all purpose route (i.e. traffic volumes, technology, signing, regulations), however learner motorcyclists still cannot use a motorway as a motorcycle does not allow for dual control."
You're absolutely right - thanks.