New homes on busy roads? Blame the resident or reduce the speed limit.

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

thatapanydude

New homes on busy roads? Blame the resident or reduce the speed limit.

Post by thatapanydude »

One of my big bug bears is the reducing of speed limits in suburban areas. Even more when the building of new houses occurs on arterial busy routes which then ultimately leads to speed limit cuts. Here is another tragedy on the A406 being built at Henley Corner. I came across this article on the mail with another complaint of wanting a speed limit reduction to 40mph after "buying" a home next to a busy 70mph road. Ultimately I completely disagree as people have a choice as to where they buy a house and it brings me onto a wider point.

Why should cut speed limits in the name of noise and pollution be entertained when "new" homes are built on land close to roads? Shouldn't it be the responsibility of the home builder and buyer to be aware and accepting of these issues.
A1/A1(M) >>> M1
JammyDodge

Re: New homes on busy roads? Blame the resident or reduce the speed limit.

Post by JammyDodge »

thatapanydude wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 14:49 One of my big bug bears is the reducing of speed limits in suburban areas. Even more when the building of new houses occurs on arterial busy routes which then ultimately leads to speed limit cuts. Here is another tragedy on the A406 being built at Henley Corner. I came across this article on the mail with another complaint of wanting a speed limit reduction to 40mph after "buying" a home next to a busy 70mph road. Ultimately I completely disagree as people have a choice as to where they buy a house and it brings me onto a wider point.

Why should cut speed limits in the name of noise and pollution be entertained when "new" homes are built on land close to roads? Shouldn't it be the responsibility of the home builder and buyer to be aware and accepting of these issues.
The example of Henley Corner isn't really and issue. The speed limit is unlikely to be dropped their.

The other example is interesting. Yes, she shouldn't be complaining about buying a home next to a major arterial route. But, I do understand the concerns about safety regarding the garden. Their should have been more space between the carriageway and the property line with some sort of physical protections. A small raised planter between the fence and the carriageway would have alleviated this. From the photos, it looks like there is room for one. If the council do decide to lower the speed limit, I would expect 60 or 50 not 40.
But, my god. Wait until she finds out that HS2 is coming through less than 300 metres away
Designing Tomorrow, Around the Past
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

thatapanydude wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 14:49I came across this article on the mail with another complaint of wanting a speed limit reduction to 40mph after "buying" a home next to a busy 70mph road.
There's already a thread about this here :)
Scratchwood

Post by Scratchwood »

thatapanydude wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 14:49 One of my big bug bears is the reducing of speed limits in suburban areas. Even more when the building of new houses occurs on arterial busy routes which then ultimately leads to speed limit cuts. Here is another tragedy on the A406 being built at Henley Corner. I came across this article on the mail with another complaint of wanting a speed limit reduction to 40mph after "buying" a home next to a busy 70mph road. Ultimately I completely disagree as people have a choice as to where they buy a house and it brings me onto a wider point.

On the first example the limit is already 40 on the A406 next to that new development, only rising to 50 once past the next junction where a side road joins

In the main the A406 speed limits seem reasonably sensible, 50 in the high quality grade separated bits, 40 in the lower quality bits, 30 in the urban sections like Bounds Green
jonnyf90

Post by jonnyf90 »

I love the "I can't sell because nobody would buy it".
Well, as long as she found another chump like herself, she'll be fine.

Yes, the development and planning as a whole seem to have a lack of thought, but surely she, as the buyer, had viewings before they bought the house? What's more, she would've driven along the road to get to the house she was buying.

I can't stand the mentality of "it's somebody else's fault".

Cheers
Una vida, bien vivida.
Veni, vidi, vici.