OpenStreetMap - Haverhill northern bypass

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

SuffolkDriver

OpenStreetMap - Haverhill northern bypass

Post by SuffolkDriver »

Hello, new member here, so apologies if this is in the wrong place.
The reason for this post is because there is a new road project in my local area - the Haverhill north western bypass, in Suffolk (not sure if it will be A143 or A1307 yet).
The new roundabout on the A143 has been built and completed a couple of days ago, and bypass works are ongoing from the roundabout to the unnamed road stump leading to the roundabout on Withersfield road (A1307). My map drawing skills are rubbish, I was wondering if anyone can help getting this updated on OpenStreetMap?
Thanks
jervi

Re: OpenStreetMap - Haverhill northern bypass

Post by jervi »

I'd say it would make sense for the new relief road to become the A1307. I'm sure its proposed number will be in some public documentation somewhere, however if you are really interested to find out then a FOI request may be helpful.

I'll add it onto OSM the best I can. If you have any GPS traces of the parts that are open then that would be useful to ensure accuracy.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

This explains why I had to hastily change an entire traffic management plan recently!

There's a massive housing development being constructed to the south of the A143, one of the main reasons this is being built, so Haverhill will have a horseshoe shaped bypass. No-one has told me what the proposed road numbers will be.

I'd have taken the A143 all the way to the A11 to remove the silliness of a 3 digit A road ending on a 4 digit one, but such numbering wonkery isn't appreciated by cash strapped councils........
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

Bryn666 wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 09:47 This explains why I had to hastily change an entire traffic management plan recently!

There's a massive housing development being constructed to the south of the A143, one of the main reasons this is being built, so Haverhill will have a horseshoe shaped bypass. No-one has told me what the proposed road numbers will be.

I'd have taken the A143 all the way to the A11 to remove the silliness of a 3 digit A road ending on a 4 digit one, but such numbering wonkery isn't appreciated by cash strapped councils........
Historically it ended on A604 (and that was originally A132), but they didn't renumber A143 when A604 was downgraded. It's still no biggy, though.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!

From the SABRE Wiki: A604 :

The A604 was an important major cross country route across East Anglia from the 1930s to the 1990s. At one point it was one of the main roads for traffic heading from the Midlands to the ports at Harwich and Felixstowe.

Most of the A604 was created in the 1935 Road numbering revision which joined several local cross-country routes, including the original A604, to form a long-distance road that could act as an alternative to the A45. The A14 was created partly out of

... Read More
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Chris Bertram wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:12
Bryn666 wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 09:47 This explains why I had to hastily change an entire traffic management plan recently!

Historically it ended on A604 (and that was originally A132), but they didn't renumber A143 when A604 was downgraded. It's still no biggy, though.
Indeed, the sad tale of the A604 is of course well known - or at least it should be.
Bryn

The A604 was an important major cross country route across East Anglia from the 1930s to the 1990s. At one point it was one of the main roads for traffic heading from the Midlands to the ports at Harwich and Felixstowe.

Most of the A604 was created in the 1935 Road numbering revision which joined several local cross-country routes, including the original A604, to form a long-distance road that could act as an alternative to the A45. The A14 was created partly out of

... Read More
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

Bryn666 wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:26
Chris Bertram wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:12

Indeed, the sad tale of the A604 is of course well known - or at least it should be.
Still, it's a vacant 3-digit number now and can surely be used again should the right scheme come up. See also A434, A440*, A613 and so on.

* A440 really needs to be assigned to a road with a strong musical association, as 440 Hz is the international standard for the concert tuning of the A above middle C, usually expressed as A = 440. This is the note sounded by the principal oboe of an orchestra for everyone else to tune to. But this is way off-topic ...
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!

... Read More
owen b

Post by owen b »

I do hope this doesn't mean the end of Haverhill's three A roads ending on each other. A143 ends on A1017. A1017 ends on A1307. A1307 ends on A143. It's all a bit rock / scissors / paper :) .
Owen
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

Chris Bertram wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:53A440 really needs to be assigned to a road with a strong musical association, as 440 Hz is the international standard for the concert tuning of the A above middle C, usually expressed as A = 440. This is the note sounded by the principal oboe of an orchestra for everyone else to tune to. But this is way off-topic ...
It would be nicely in-zone if it was allocated to Kensington Gore, to form the Royal Albert Hall Ring Road :scratchchin:
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

owen b wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:15

I do hope this doesn't mean the end of Haverhill's three A roads ending on each other. A143 ends on A1017. A1017 ends on A1307. A1307 ends on A143. It's all a bit rock / scissors / paper :) .
I doubt anyone is changing anything in the town centre to be honest, it just doesn't enter into discussions with developers these days. Numbering is really just being left to rot.
Bryn