Monmouth - A40

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

JosephA22

Re: Monmouth - A40

Post by JosephA22 »

fras wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 11:54 I suppose the Swiss or the Italians would put a tunnel under May Hill to take the A40.
Or put the tunnel under Monmouth itself, as the Germans might do.

Such as this bypass (underpass?) of Baden Baden, or this one under construction under Starnberg near Munich.
fras

Post by fras »

The big difference is they believe in keeping traffic moving and also diverted around where people live, and are prepared to spend the money to do so, we don't. We prefer to build nuclear submarines and aircraft carriers.
Owain
Elected Committee Member

Post by Owain »

fras wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 21:32 Trouble is the OS maps that I looked at (1:50000, and 1:25000) both show May Hill as two words, with 'May' above 'Hill'. Maybe I should just have refered to "The Hill".
Very nice countryside around there BTW ! We didn't have time to linger in Monmouth.
If I'm honest, I'd never heard that part of Monmouth referred to either as 'May Hill' or 'Mayhill' before! That suburb of Monmouth is Wyesham, and the only notable hill in the immediate vicinity is the The Kymin, overlooking the town.

The May Hill closer to Gloucester is a well known local landmark, being visible from quite some distance in most directions; even from the other side of the Severn. It's easily recognisable on account of looking like a bald hill with a 'caterpillar' of trees right at the very top.
Former President & F99 Driver

Viva la Repubblica!