Always Red Traffic Lights?

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Skipsy

Always Red Traffic Lights?

Post by Skipsy »

Sorry if this has been mentioned before, but these 2 traffic lights must always be red if you can't turn right here?
https://www.google.com/maps/@51.5151279 ... 384!8i8192
So what is the point of them being here? Did they just forget to remove them?

And are there any more of these, as I know there are some traffic lights that are always green but not the other way.
SteelCamel

Re: Always Red Traffic Lights?

Post by SteelCamel »

They can't have forgotten to remove them, as these aren't the original lights. Go back to 2012 and the lights for (not) turning right are the same as the ahead ones - but the "no right turn" sign is still there, so they must still have been showing permanent red. In 2016 the nearside lights have been removed, leaving only the ahead lights (looks like someone's run into the post). The far side is still the same. Then by 2017 a new light has been installed - with no surround and lower down the pole, so it's not the same one. So someone thinks this is needed enough to replace it after it got damaged.

I was going to compare it with the other direction, but that's a mess. "Ahead only" and "Except buses" on the lights, but there's a separate "no right turn" with no exceptions, and the left is "no entry". So buses are not required to go straight on, they just can't turn left or right?

It gets worse... both slip road exits are signed with both "no left turn" and "turn right" on the same post. So you must turn right, and must be sure not to turn left as well... no quantum cars allowed??
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Re: Always Red Traffic Lights?

Post by Chris5156 »

I started a thread about the same lights nine years ago. That's a very long red phase!