Aberdeen bypass. A90 A956 roundabout

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Gav

Aberdeen bypass. A90 A956 roundabout

Post by Gav »

ff.jpg
so this roundabout - surface, no grade seperation.... but they added a large bridge just to the north of the roundabout... Why could this not have been grade seperated ?

And as for the Stonehaven junction... thats even worse.
gg.jpg
Hdeng16

Re: Aberdeen bypass. A90 A956 roundabout

Post by Hdeng16 »

This has been done to death on the main thread

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10773&start=1540
orudge
Site Manager

Re: Aberdeen bypass. A90 A956 roundabout

Post by orudge »

Yep - there was an option of a fork considered for the A90/A956 junction, but the roundabout was chosen because it was cheaper and offered full access. It’s a pain having to slow down and so on, but in practice I’ve never yet been delayed at it (now that folk seem to have stopped crashing into it).

The Stonehaven junction is also pretty bad but again, I’ve never been stuck in congestion as a result of it (though I haven’t been passing through it at peak times).

I frequently did get stuck in queues at the northbound offslip to the A944 at 8am-ish. Lights have now been installed though, and I’ve not been commuting for over a year, so no idea if it’s any better now.